IHRA now owns as many tracks as NHRA (1 Viewer)

They could invite them ... they better be willing to shell out BIG $$$ for the appearances.

4 runs at an IHRA event will get you more than 1st round money at an NHRA event.
If NFC, I don't doubt that. But since none of the big show drivers / owners other than a select few have access to an NFC ... this is a moot point.

And as far as TF, that's because they only book 2 middle of the pack cars. You think anybody in the TF Top 10 would race for that? NOPE !!

If NFC, I don't doubt that. But since none of the big show drivers / owners other than a select few have access to an NFC ... this is a moot point.

And as far as TF, that's because they only book 2 middle of the pack cars. You think anybody in the TF Top 10 would race for that? NOPE !!

This has nothing to do with NFC. You said IHRA TF doesn't pay well and that is false.....it pays better than NHRA. Regardless of whether or not the bigger teams would come, if they made the choice to do so, they would get payed more for 4 runs at an IHRA race than they would for 4 runs at an NHRA race.

and the jet dragster category is 4 girls who are all on the same team. If you put Ernie Bogue or Rob Albertson or Lou Perriera or Jill Canuso against them, they would get creamed. if you want to do a jet dragster championship, you have to open it up to more and not come off as a "Pandering" category, nothing against Larsen jets, but I can't take that seriously. Same could be said if there was a Jet Funny Car championship where it was only Ken Hall & Rich Hanna from Hanna Motorsports, even though they are the best at what they do (without a shadow of a doubt) I would still keep it open for many others.

If I was IHRA. I would put a "National" race at Memphis on the first weekend in April right between Zmax & Vegas and have 8 car TF, FC, PS fields paying as close to NHRA as possible and see who shows up. Throw in some NFC and MMPS. Then do it again at at some other tracks during the season if it panned out. Then in 2016 up the purse and put one or two on top of NHRA and see who shows up. I'm sure Terry McMillan and Tony P are getting a little tired of the first round or DNQ payout window. Tasca too. Question is would Force/Shoe/AJR/Kalitta add or divert a car to compete. It would be a slow process but "If you build it, They will come" is true especially if NHRA refuses to change.

Last edited:
How about this IHRA Schedule:

April 3-5 Southwestern Raceway Tucson AZ,Or Memphis TN Between Zmax & Vegas

May 29-31 MIR, Budds Creek MD Between Kansas & Englishtown

July 17-19 Memphis TN Between Chicago & Denver

Sept. 10-12 Cordova Or MIR Between Indy & Charlotte

In my opinion, the worst thing IHRA could try to do is poach cars from NHRA. They need to establish their own markets and their own program as far as the professional classes go, and that's what they are doing. All 5 of the IHRA races I attended this year had good crowds when the weather cooperated. Since IRG purchased the organization, they have continually showed their commitment to the racers and the company by continuing to expand their holdings and grow the show. With Scott Gardener and now Royce Miller on the management team, I believe they have right people in place to continue to grow their professional show. They don't need to try and take NHRA's place with the racers. They just need to prove their product to the spectators, and they have been successful at it to this point.

IHRA is not interested in the NHRA big show guys - they want their own cars ...
The IHRA tracks are generally not the size to support large crowds - the budget for cars is closely tied to attendance without a title rights sponsor...
I was involved with both groups in the '80s - neither were interested in completing with the other for many reasons, Larry Carrier started IHRA to not be NHRA...

Remember they are selling "Entertainment" more than racing...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back