Identity Fraud (1 Viewer)

I saw that article this morning as well. Another way you can minimize the problem is to pay in cash for things like gas & restaurant tabs.

Identity theft is definetly a problem, and I guess about the only sure way to make absolutely certain you don't become a victim is to NEVER pay for anything except with cash, and NEVER have anything (i.e. utilities, house, car, etc.) in your name. Kinda sad actually.

Falling victim to the various scams out there is a whole different picture. In probably 99% of cases you can avoid it happening to you by (1) Don't be greedy, and (2) Exercise just an iota of common sense.

Bottom line is this folks: If you get an email from some Bozo in Pakistan promising you 20 million bucks if you just send him a small administrative fee of, let's say $5000 bucks.....then DUH!!! Like the OLD, OLD cliche: If it sounds too good to be true......

Here is a link on that dreaded disease.
I feel violated just talking about it !
By eliminating my paper trail and using bill pay and paperless statements and investing in protection and a shredder I seem to have stemmed the flood.
Kind of like computer viruses you just put up firewalls.
Notice since everyone now has built in protection it's got a lot better.
The worst town for identity theft: Napa, California : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Ouch! Not you too, Larry. Not me but, I mean, with as often as I've seen posts about this. I carry a Visa ATM/check card for emergencies. She does pay bills by mailing checks but, that's about it.

Wasn't it here that someone said a kid who handled their debit card for a gas transaction ended up using their number for phone sex or something?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back