I read Cowboy is returning (1 Viewer)

Also, and what happens when they stop making Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers? And Nunzio, why only 3 brands? FSS seems like nostalgia drags to me. Just my 2 cents.

IMO ANY factory car that came of the assy line............

Well I said 3 brands because I wasn't aware of anything besides Chevy, Ford, and Dodges running the class. And if I can ask again, what are the rules for these cars, how are they keeping parity in the category?

always rooted for him, glad to see him back

From a fan perspective they are fun to watch and amazing performers. But I dont beleive for a second that most fans will stay in their seats to watch cars running a second and a half slower than existing pro stock cars. They would have to morph the cars into a faster form to have a chance to replace pro stock.

F/S and Pro mod are the new ticket in town however, I liked P/M when they used to run the old bodies combined with the newer cars. Unfortunately, with the aero packages of the newer cars, it's unlikely that you will see a Scotty Cannon type of car pull up to the line at an NHRA event.

F/S and Pro mod are the new ticket in town however, I liked P/M when they used to run the old bodies combined with the newer cars. Unfortunately, with the aero packages of the newer cars, it's unlikely that you will see a Scotty Cannon type of car pull up to the line at an NHRA event.

So, we're already talking about "The Good Ole Days!" of pro-mod?

I truly believe this will be a professional class next year and pro stock will be gone, it is so much more exciting, just need some more Mopars and Fords in there and it will be the icing on the cake.

The seats still fill up and empty as the fuel cars run and end.
Only a minute amount stay in the stands for Pro Stock and Stock!
To most fans those are filler catagories!
Sometimes the truth hurts but doesn’t change that it’s the truth!

Well, Pro Mod is already 30 years old.
That's right, and for a 30+ yr old class, there is still plenty of variety. The very nature of racing leads everyone toward the most efficient design. That's why TF cars are all the same, Indy cars, F1 cars, NASCAR, etc. other than paint jobs/graphics. So while PM isn't seeing an abundance of chopped shoeboxes, Willys. Lambos, and whatever else from the past, for a headsup class, the variety is second to none. Three engine combos, and still a good variety of bodies between old and new Vettes, old and new Camaros, a few Dodge Daytonas, older Firebirds, and more. I dig it!

That's right, and for a 30+ yr old class, there is still plenty of variety. The very nature of racing leads everyone toward the most efficient design. That's why TF cars are all the same, Indy cars, F1 cars, NASCAR, etc. other than paint jobs/graphics. So while PM isn't seeing an abundance of chopped shoeboxes, Willys. Lambos, and whatever else from the past, for a headsup class, the variety is second to none. Three engine combos, and still a good variety of bodies between old and new Vettes, old and new Camaros, a few Dodge Daytonas, older Firebirds, and more. I dig it!

I love it too.

I agree, FSS is the future. But, I can also foresee the class getting out of hand and ending up like PS. A little change here, a modification there. Stretch it here, stretch it there. Voila! No more factory frames, engines, bodies.

And that's where the sanctioning body needs to step up big time. They have first-hand experience of what happens when you don't stay on top of rules and regulations and what ultimately is allowed to be used, modified, etc. to keep operating costs and/or fan interest in check. This is their chance to start fresh and not let that happen again.

Sean D

And that's where the sanctioning body needs to step up big time. They have first-hand experience of what happens when you don't stay on top of rules and regulations and what ultimately is allowed to be used, modified, etc. to keep operating costs and/or fan interest in check. This is their chance to start fresh and not let that happen again.

Sean D

I believe when FSS first came out several years ago, there was an article about the Candies&Hughes Cobra Jet. They paid the 120K to buy it direct from Ford, then took it straight home and tore it all the way down and rebuit it, so much so that they had over 200K in the car before it ever made a lap. So don't think what you are seeing on the track is "factory fresh". I can only imagine the price of poker has went up since.

I believe when FSS first came out several years ago, there was an article about the Candies&Hughes Cobra Jet. They paid the 120K to buy it direct from Ford, then took it straight home and tore it all the way down and rebuit it, so much so that they had over 200K in the car before it ever made a lap. So don't think what you are seeing on the track is "factory fresh". I can only imagine the price of poker has went up since.

I totally agree with the last sentence in your post. However, if NHRA has done that class the injustice of allowing the costs to compete rival that of Pro Stock, then shame on them. People can say what they want, but the skyrocketing costs of racing is a HUGE factor in the low participation numbers across the board. The point I'm trying to make with FSS is that it's the NHRA's chance to reboot the Pro Stock class, with the exception of making, and more importantly, KEEPING it more affordable than it is.

Sean D

I totally agree with the last sentence in your post. However, if NHRA has done that class the injustice of allowing the costs to compete rival that of Pro Stock, then shame on them. People can say what they want, but the skyrocketing costs of racing is a HUGE factor in the low participation numbers across the board. The point I'm trying to make with FSS is that it's the NHRA's chance to reboot the Pro Stock class, with the exception of making, and more importantly, KEEPING it more affordable than it is.

Sean D

Sean,

I'm curious, if you are NHRA how are you going to stop Gray Motorsports, Elite Motorsports, DSR, the Skillman's, Ray Barton, Stephen Bell, etc. from spending money on their cars? I have had this discussion with a couple of other people and I don't know what I would propose.

How would you do it?
Alan

Sean,

I'm curious, if you are NHRA how are you going to stop Gray Motorsports, Elite Motorsports, DSR, the Skillman's, Ray Barton, Stephen Bell, etc. from spending money on their cars? I have had this discussion with a couple of other people and I don't know what I would propose.

How would you do it?
Alan

For starters, you mentioned a couple of extra names into the mix, which would be part of the reason to make a change to start with........ Lol!

But seriously, I have no argument against the fact that it would be tough. It would be very tough. But I would think that the move to factory platforms would go a long way in curbing spending all by itself. The factories are in a constant state of flux, so I can't imagine that rules mandating use of current factory parts would take a nice bite out of R&D costs (That is, assuming that the factories will actively support such a change). I also think that moving to the factory platform would boost participation. I can't imagine someone on the outside looking in not saying, "Damn.......how do we make up for the 30 year R&D head start that this current platform has evolved to", essentially necessitating a lease program if you want to be competitive anytime soon.

One of the biggest obstacles I see is having competent personnel in place to verify any regulations that are put in place. I would think that regular tear-downs would need to take place to ensure that some of the parts weren't replaced with parts made with unobtainium or onlyoneofum. I'm sure that some of the stories of these exotic materials have been greatly exaggerated, but either way, you can bet your a$$ that a lot of that stuff was done. Same goes with the parts and pieces external to the engines. It goes without saying that we need safe race cars and that nothing that compromises that should be disallowed, but let's use some common sense moving forward.

Look, I get it. When you tab a class with "Pro", it changes the game and not everyone will be able to participate. But there is surely some middle ground that will take it to a place comfortably between the glory days of the class where there were regularly 10+ extra cars for a 16-car field and the current state of wondering if there will be full fields week to week.

Sean D

The Candies Cobra jet is not a FSS car, it is a superstocker. Everything else you said about is true and a completive FSS is properly higher. I think FSS should have been based off of that car because I think it is the baddest stock, superstock, or comp car out there. I can reel off 7:80's time slips like nothing and being from their area, I get to see the car a lot.
As far as FSS, I love the class and yes it is not entry level like some people thinks.
Alan, I believe as long as the tire restriction stays at 9" it kind of level the playing field. For now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back