How do you like the new announcers? (1 Viewer)

As one who has done Dirt track and local drag racing announcing, I can tell you it's much harder than it looks! Knowing who is in each lane and who their sponsors are is the easy part! Learning to relax behind the Mic takes time, knowing thousands are listening to you makes it tough at first! As for the new announcer....anyone noticed he said the phrase "Gets it done!" a lot? Lol

I know me trying so hard to "Get all my **** in" when it comes to info on drivers in each pairing is one of my tough spots.

Being an announcer myself, a thread like this is exactly what we need to become better at our craft. Our job is to be knowledgable, and entertaining while on the mic, and feedback from you the audience is golden.

Definitely miss Bob Frey...Costello struggled at Charlotte as well. But then again, I didn't step in to my job as an expert, so give him time.

A little slice of what it's like on the announce deck.....

Two pro cars (or bikes) are about to make their burnouts and pull up to the line. Could be qualifying, could be eliminations. OK, Mr. Announcer, take it away.

1. Identify both drivers and what lane their in, especially for new fans who aren't familiar with cars and drivers yet.

2. Mention the sponsors for each driver. Primary, maybe associate?

3. If it's the first run of qualifying, mention how they have qualified previously this season. What's their best (or worst) qualifying performance? DNQs? No. 1's? Top-half?

4. Explain the Quick 12 qualifying process which is different from the traditional method previously used to set the fields in Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro Stock Bikes.

5. As each qualifying session begins, recap where the drivers are in the field (if they are indeed in the field), anything significant about a previous pass either good or bad, and if it's the final session, can they be bumped out? And if they've already been bumped out in this session, what do they need to run to get back in? And if one driver is on the bump and the other is outside the field, could we see these two drivers swap positions on this pass?

6. After a strong pass, was that low e.t. or top speed of the session? The weekend? Track record? National record?

7. Anything interesting that has happened to the team leading into this event? New car? New crew chief? New engine combination? New sponsor? A problem or mishap on the way to the race or back at the shop? Birthday, anniversary, winning lottery ticket, new baby?

8. Where are these drivers in the points? Any performance milestones they have set recently or in the past? Any they could potentially set? Have they won any championships, and if so, how many? How many years have they been out there racing? Where do they live? Family? Occupation outside of drag racing? Age?

9. Provide info on the class. How is the class determined? How much do these vehicles weigh and what kind of powerplants do they run, again, for new fans who want to know what they're looking at and to help them gain a greater appreciation for the sport. Bikes? Buells, Harleys or Suzukis? Top Alchohol Dragsters? Blown alcohol or injected nitro? Pro Mods? Nitrous, blown or turbo?

11. Offer some personal observations based on conversations you've had with the drivers or crew chiefs, "inside information", anecdotes, humorous comments, an ironic twist of fate. For example, "The first career national event win for (fill in the blank) came here in 1995 and his last national event win came here last season."

12. What about the run itself: Routine stage or did one driver take a little too much time? (See Reichert vs Kanick in Charlotte) Who got a better reaction time? 60-foot time? Speed at the 1/8th? And don't focus too closely on the computer screen to pick up those numbers since a driver could get loose, tag the wall, or cross the centerline while you're gazing at the Compulink. Every announcer has been victimizied by that at one time or another.

13. Did either driver smoke the tires, have to pedal, move out of the groove, drop any cylinders, run into tire shake, haze the tires at the top end, have a big boomer, head gasket pushed out, late chutes and into the sand, etc?

14. Significant elapsed time or speed? Career best for either driver? Holeshot? Explain what a holeshot is for new fans--one of the biggest mysteries new fans of drag racing ponder. "The quicker car LOST? How can THAT be???"

Wait, there's more......

Now, while you're processing all of that with pair after pair of cars coming to the line, remember to watch the computer screen, check to see if the info on display is accurate. (There were some statistical and biographical updates needed in Gainesville that tripped the announcers up before the info was corrected).

Pay attention to the event coordinator on the announce deck gesturing for you to go to the big screen for a replay, commercials, or to throw to Team Geico. Remember if there's an oildown, announce that it's time for a "Grime Boss Cleanup". If there's a replay, remember to call it the "NHRA Mobile-Vision Screen" and explain what's being shown. Direct the fans as to what side of the screen they should be watching and what to look for. From the top end camera, the left lane is on the RIGHT side of the screen and vice-versa.

Now, without all the time in the world to do all that, make sure you're concise, speak in terms that are not too technical for new fans but not too basic for veteran fans. No "Ahhhh's or Ummmmm's", stumbles or stammers, backing up to correct yourself every other sentence, and make sure to pronounce the drivers' names correctly. If you make a mistake, go back and smoothly correct the miscue quickly as not to fall behind the action on the track. Sound enthusiastic and dialed in, but don't constantly scream or oversell what's happening. Keep your emotion real and don't be afraid to react honestly. But don't be unfairly critical of mistakes the racers make, assess blame for human error, or offer a controversial opinon on something you can't substantiate as fact.

So, here's the test. If you have an ESPN telecast on your DVR, grab something that looks like a microphone, commit everything written above to memory, replay the event on your TV with the sound turned all the way down, and imagine you're the national event announcer with thousands of fans listening to every word you say. Be smooth, have a well-modulated, professional voice, don't just sit there staring at the screen, and see how well you do. If you nail it first time out, you could be the next Bob Frey!

Last edited:

Two cars are about to make their burnouts and pull up to the line. Could be qualifying, could be eliminations. OK, Mr. Announcer, take it away.

1. Identify both drivers and what lane their in, especially for new fans who aren't familiar with cars and drivers yet.

3. If it's the first run of qualifying, mention how they have qualified previously this season. What's their best (or worst) qualifying performance? DNQs? No. 1's? Top-half?

4. Don't forget that once you've had 16 cars run in the first session of qualifying, there's a bump spot so point that out.

5. If it's Qualifying Pass #2 through #4, recap where they are in the field (if they are indeed in the field), anything significant about a previous pass either good or bad, and if it's the final session, can they be bumped out? And if they've already been bumped out in this session, what do they need to run to get back in? And if one driver is on the bump and the other is outside the field, could we see these two drivers swap positions on this pass?

6. After a strong pass, was that low e.t. or top speed of the session? The weekend? Track record? National record?

7. Anything interesting that has happened to the team leading into this event? New car? New crew chief? New engine combination? New sponsor? A problem or mishap on the way to the race or back at the shop? Birthday, anniversary, winning lottery ticket, new baby?

8. Where are these drivers in the points? Any performance milestones they have set recently or in the past? Any they could potentially set? Have they won any championships, and if so, how many? How many years have they been out there racing? Where do they live? Family? Occupation outside of drag racing? Age?

9. Info on the class. How is the class determined? How much do these vehicles weigh and what kind of powerplants do they run, again, for new fans who want to know what they're looking at and to help them gain a greater appreciation for the sport. Bikes? Buells, Harleys or Suzukis? Top Alchohol Dragsters? Blown alcohol or injected nitro? Pro Mods? Nitrous, blown or turbo?

10. Personal observations based on conversations you've had with the drivers or crew chiefs, "inside information", anecdotes, humorous comments, an ironic twist of fate. For example, "The first career national event win for (fill in the blank) came here in 1995 and his last national event win came here last season."

11. The run itself: Routine stage or did one driver take a little too much time? (See Reichert vs Kanick in Charlotte) Who got a better reaction time? 60-foot time? Speed at the 1/8th? And don't focus too closely on the computer screen to pick up those numbers since a driver could get loose, tag the wall, or cross the centerline while you're gazing at the Compulink. Every announcer has been victimizied by that at one time or another.

12. Did either driver smoke the tires, have to pedal, move out of the groove, drop any cylinders, run into tire shake, haze the tires at the top end, have a big boomer, head gasket pushed out, late chutes and into the sand, etc?

11. Significant elapsed time or speed? Career best for either driver? Holeshot? Explain what a holeshot is for new fans--one of the biggest mysteries new fans of drag racing ponder. "The quicker car LOST? How can THAT be???"

Wait, there's more......

Now, while you're processing all of that with pair after pair of cars coming to the line, remember to watch the computer screen, check to see if the info on display is accurate. (There were some statistical and biographical updates needed in Gainesville that tripped the announcers up before the info was corrected).

Pay attention to the event coordinator on the announce deck gesturing for you to go to the big screen for a replay, commercials, or throw to Team Geico. Remember if there's an oildown, announce that it's time for a "Grime Boss Cleanup". If there's a replay, remember to call it the "NHRA Mobile-Vision Screen" and explain what's being shown. Direct the fans as to what side of the screen they should be watching and what to look for. From the top end camera, the left lane is on the RIGHT side of the screen and vice-versa.

Now, without all the time in the world to do all that, make sure you're concise, speak in terms that are not too technical for new fans but not too basic for veteran fans. No "Ahhhh's or Ummmmm's", stumbles or stammers, backing up to correct yourself every other sentence, and make sure to pronounce the drivers' names correctly. If you make a mistake, go back and smoothly correct the miscue quickly as not to fall behind the action on the track. Sound enthusiastic and dialed in, but don't constantly scream or oversell what's happening. Keep your emotion real and don't be afraid to react honestly. But don't be unfairly critical of mistakes the racers make, assess blame for human error, or offer a controversial opinon on something you can't substantiate as fact.

So, here's the test. If you have an ESPN telecast on your DVR, grab something that looks like a microphone, commit everything written above to memory, replay the event on your TV with the sound turned all the way down, and imagine you're the national event announcer with thousands of fans listening to every word you say. Be smooth, have a well-modulated, professional voice, don't just sit there staring at the screen, and see how well you do. If you nail it first time out, you could be the next Bob Frey!

Well if it's gonna be THAT easy, I think I'll try out for it! ;) But seriously, kudos to you guys who do this, you gotta have balls of steel.

You know, to call a guy a idiot because he announces a way that you dont agree with is just wrong.

Announcers should also keep in mind that we in the stands cannot hear them when the cars are doing the burnouts. I can't tell you how many times they say stuff during burnouts. We can't hear it.

How was the audio system at Houston? I noticed they didn't have those two gigantic stacks of flown speakers on both sides of the tower.

I think if Costello speaks up and uses a little more projection we could hear him. He's too quiet.

Two pro cars (or bikes) are about to make their burnouts and pull up to the line. Could be qualifying, could be eliminations. OK, Mr. Announcer, take it away.

4. Explain the Quick 12 qualifying process which is different from the traditional method previously used to set the fields in Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro Stock Bikes.

5. As each qualifying session begins, recap where the drivers are in the field (if they are indeed in the field), anything significant about a previous pass either good or bad, and if it's the final session, can they be bumped out? And if they've already been bumped out in this session, what do they need to run to get back in? And if one driver is on the bump and the other is outside the field, could we see these two drivers swap positions on this pass?

9. Provide info on the class. How is the class determined? How much do these vehicles weigh and what kind of powerplants do they run, again, for new fans who want to know what they're looking at and to help them gain a greater appreciation for the sport. Bikes? Buells, Harleys or Suzukis? Top Alchohol Dragsters? Blown alcohol or injected nitro? Pro Mods? Nitrous, blown or turbo?

11. Offer some personal observations based on conversations you've had with the drivers or crew chiefs, "inside information", anecdotes, humorous comments, an ironic twist of fate. For example, "The first career national event win for (fill in the blank) came here in 1995 and his last national event win came here last season."

12. What about the run itself: Routine stage or did one driver take a little too much time? (See Reichert vs Kanick in Charlotte) Who got a better reaction time? 60-foot time? Speed at the 1/8th? And don't focus too closely on the computer screen to pick up those numbers since a driver could get loose, tag the wall, or cross the centerline while you're gazing at the Compulink. Every announcer has been victimizied by that at one time or another.

13. Did either driver smoke the tires, have to pedal, move out of the groove, drop any cylinders, run into tire shake, haze the tires at the top end, have a big boomer, head gasket pushed out, late chutes and into the sand, etc?

14. Significant elapsed time or speed? Career best for either driver? Holeshot? Explain what a holeshot is for new fans--one of the biggest mysteries new fans of drag racing ponder. "The quicker car LOST? How can THAT be???"

Wait, there's more......

Pay attention to the event coordinator on the announce deck gesturing for you to go to the big screen for a replay, commercials, or to throw to Team Geico. Remember if there's an oildown, announce that it's time for a "Grime Boss Cleanup". If there's a replay, remember to call it the "NHRA Mobile-Vision Screen" and explain what's being shown. Direct the fans as to what side of the screen they should be watching and what to look for. From the top end camera, the left lane is on the RIGHT side of the screen and vice-versa.

Thanks Bill, Good stuff for me to study even when I announce at RP again in a few weeks for Sunday Points as well as of course the 2 LODRS D1 races I go to (and Sept at RP with LB), I know sometimes I gaze at the Compulink (or Porta-tree at Lebanon Valley) monitor and focus away from the track itself.

I thought Costello did a good job. He gave ALL the ETs to the thousandth. Too many of the others get distracted especially with a guest.

Being picky here but as I'm a track announcer myself I try my damndest to get names correct: My understanding is that it's "Castello".

May I ask what TAG is about?

Regards
PiPPi

A little slice of what it's like on the announce deck..... [snips]
Thanks very much Bill,

Please don't get me wrong here but I laughed out loud at that write up, for all the good reasons :)

I hope a lot of people read it in detail, can't recall I've ever read as good a summary of what it's all about. Lots of folks think we just set our asses in the tower and wing it.

Been trying to add something intelligent or relevant to your text but no go.

One thing to add could be being pretty damn nervous before any event, big or small. Talking to a crowd is one thing but walking the line-up and talking to the racers before the first burnout in Q1 I always find myself worrying big time about the risks that high-speed racing entails. All the racers are friends and you really want the weekend to pass without incidents and when it happens I have a huge problem announcing.

Yes, another thing. I know very well that I'm not the only announcer who is the harshest critic of my own work at the track.

Regards
PiPPi

Track Announcers Guild. Mike sent me an email to the director. Want me to PM it to you too?
Thanks for getting back,

Really appreciate it and looked it up but I don't qualify. I've done only one stint in the US and it was not under NHRA sanction.

Regards
PiPPi

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back