How about those pro mods (1 Viewer)

mike

Nitro Member
Cannon sets the et record at a 6.019, Commisso sets the speed record at 239.44 and the bump is at a 6.165 with Ed Hoover, which makes it the quickest field in history. Awesome stuff.

Mike

pro mods rock! do away with the bikes and have a 16 car 23 event pro mod deal pleaseeeeeeeeee

That was an awesome couple sessions... Dave Roemer & Harold Hartin both run 6.165 & don't get in... Thats brutal!!

Did you take a look at the top sportsman cars?
7.008 has you out of the 48 car field.
What an awesome weekend. Get the IHRA out west and let us have some of this fun.

Given how good the Pro Mod field was at Budds Creek, it's a shame they screwed it up with the final that Stott and D'Aprile ran.

Jim

I disagree

Given how good the Pro Mod field was at Budds Creek, it's a shame they screwed it up with the final that Stott and D'Aprile ran.

Jim

With all due respect I disagree. They were in a no win situation. Even if Stott beat him someone would have said Tommy laid down for him. I say it was great for the the sponsors. 40 seconds of track / TV time for tow great guys.

Discloser: I'm biased and do PR for the guys.

With all due respect I disagree. They were in a no win situation. Even if Stott beat him someone would have said Tommy laid down for him. I say it was great for the the sponsors. 40 seconds of track / TV time for tow great guys.

Discloser: I'm biased and do PR for the guys.

What a bias!

Here's how I see it:

Fans paid money to see a race. What they saw was two cars idle down the track for 40 seconds for a pre-arranged outcome.

If Stott had beaten Tommy, yes, some people might have said he laid down for Stott. Instead, they overtly showed that the race was fixed.

By fixing the race as they did, they cheated the fans and they cheated the other drivers in the points race. How was fixing that race fair to Danny Rowe? How was Stott even fair to himself knowing that he had to fix the race to gain the points he did?

If you don't race to win every time, don't bother. If I were running things at IHRA, I'd have told both of them to not bother attending Rockingham. By allowing it to happen, IHRA has shown itself to be a sanctioning body that allows racers to fix races.

Jim

What a bias!

Here's how I see it:

Fans paid money to see a race. What they saw was two cars idle down the track for 40 seconds for a pre-arranged outcome.

If Stott had beaten Tommy, yes, some people might have said he laid down for Stott. Instead, they overtly showed that the race was fixed.

By fixing the race as they did, they cheated the fans and they cheated the other drivers in the points race. How was fixing that race fair to Danny Rowe? How was Stott even fair to himself knowing that he had to fix the race to gain the points he did?

If you don't race to win every time, don't bother. If I were running things at IHRA, I'd have told both of them to not bother attending Rockingham. By allowing it to happen, IHRA has shown itself to be a sanctioning body that allows racers to fix races.

Jim

Got to agree with Jim here! That wasn't cool at all, don't care what the situation was, when you come to the line, you come to race, if you don't, you shouldn't be racing, I like Stott, but have lost a lot of respect!!! There could've been a good 6.0 pass made, and gave the fans who stuck around something, but 40 second ets on a fixed race... give me a break!

Given that Kerunsky is from my home province I'm pulling for him big time. To read of this stunt happening on dragracecentral burns me big time. I guess Stott has a point in saying why pretend but in doing so he basically just confirms that stunts like this are more common than we'd like to believe.

I'm a big fan of IHRA and the Pro Mods but this is a black eye for both, especially after the stellar performance shown by that class this weekend. Ashley didn't lie down for Capps last weekend and Rowe shouldn't have for Stott either.

A big asterick for Stott if he wins the championship this year.

I'm a big fan of IHRA and the Pro Mods but this is a black eye for both, especially after the stellar performance shown by that class this weekend. Ashley didn't lie down for Capps last weekend and Rowe shouldn't have for Stott either.

I'm sure you meant D'Aprile - Rowe didn't race Stott and I'm pretty sure Jimmy Rector and the Rowe crew aren't part of Quain Stott Drag Racing.

On another note: I think NHRA calls some of their team cars R&D or blockers. I can assure you that Quain and Tommy race each other heads up in every instance - except this one. If Quain ran a 6.05 and Tommy ran a 6.09 in the finals - would you be happier - I think not.

D'Aprile was fifth, if he'd won he'd still be fifth. Stott was 30 points out of the points lead, Why risk an oildown, which could have made him come up five points short of the lead. Why play games - it was a business decision and they made no bones about it. This ain't week one, it's week 10 of 11 and not to have team orders in that situation is just plain stupid.

I enjoyed it, everybody in the tower enjoyed it - and since we were almost the only spectators, the majority of the spectators enjoyed it.:cool: :cool:

Last edited:
I kep sneaking up to the stands to see the Pro Mods and Pro Stocks, just in case someone ran in the 5's or 6.20's. So I could say I saw it.

D'Aprile was fifth, if he'd won he'd still be fifth. Stott was 30 points out of the points lead, Why risk an oildown, which could have made him come up five points short of the lead.Why play games - it was a business decision and they made no bones about it. This ain't week one, it's week 10 of 11 and not to have team orders in that situation is just plain stupid.

In any other sport, if you throw a game, it's called cheating.

As to risking an oildown, that's part of racing. If he wasn't racing a teammate, he would have had to risk the oildown and earn the victory.

Bottom line: they fixed the race and Stott did not earn the victory.

Jim

In any other sport, if you throw a game, it's called cheating.

As to risking an oildown, that's part of racing. If he wasn't racing a teammate, he would have had to risk the oildown and earn the victory.

Bottom line: they fixed the race and Stott did not earn the victory.

Jim
Jim - up until this point I thought we were having a conversation. To accuse someone of cheating by working together - well, I just think you're a bit goofy now.

They did it right up front and told everyone about it. Not sure what axe you have to grind. But I know the best way that you can grind it. Get a Pro Mod car and go beat 'um.

I think Larry made great points. So many things happen over the course of the year. Sometimes a team feels like they couldn't buy a win. No matter what they do nothing falls their way. If this happened to fall Quain's way - then so be it.

Let me ask you this. Would it have been cheating if Quain had to face someone else. And that someone else needed an engine cause he blew his stuff up. And maybe Rector or Kerunski or Janis supplies this other person with an engine to beat Quain - is that cheating too? Maybe teams should just quit sharing parts - cause some bench racer on a forum would think it was cheating.

Maybe McMillen shouldn't have helped Atchison put a motor in his car in San Antonio last year, so Atchison could beat him in the finals - Maybe Creasy shouldn't have lent Wyatt a motor so Wyatt could continue his run at Creasy for the championship - Maybe Quain shouldn't lend out pistons and valves and tools so other teams could compete in a rough spot.

Is that all cheating? Hell no - it's racing. And you take your breaks where you can get them. Quain and Tommy and the team worked their a$$es off to get two cars in the finals of the fastest Pro Mod field in IHRA history. AND two cars into the top 5 of the closest points chace in IHRA Pro Mod History.

They tested those two cars until they blew up their back up motor a week ago. I say, if they want to roll down the 1320 on a parade lap - my hats off to them.

The rest of you can debate it in a forum

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back