Pro Mod (1 Viewer)

JB3

Nitro Member
Did Jay Payne just run the quickest NHRA Pro Mod run in history ?? Seems to like a momumental run went unnoticed.

The commentary is like Mr. Jex wasn't even watching. They said Payne was the first car to run in the 5.80's this weekend ... but actually there were at least 10 prior. Then the miss the fact that he just missed the 5.70's.

I know some of the Drag Central guys visit here. I know some of them and I love what they do, but Good Grief ...

14 Ed Hoover 3 Jay Payne
E1 0.030 5.893 244.25 ****WINNER**** 0.101 5.809 244.87
Qualified: #15 6.019 235.84 #2 5.887 241.28

It took till half track for Payne to drive past Hoover, Payne's the first to run a 5.80 this weekend, he will have lane choice against Balooshi in round two. Jay Payne's MOV: 0.0132 seconds (approximately 5 feet).

That was the quickest in competition. The old best was Raymond Comisso's 5.81 last year - though he did just go 5.78 in testing recently. Burton Auxier also ran the first "legal" 5.8x for a nitrous car.:cool:

That was the quickest in competition. The old best was Raymond Comisso's 5.81 last year - though he did just go 5.78 in testing recently. Burton Auxier also ran the first "legal" 5.8x for a nitrous car.:cool:
Thanks Aaron. I thought so. And like I said, it went unnoticed without any mention of its historic nature.

I wouldn't be too hard on Mike. Pro Mod competition at NHRA national events has been as an "exhibition" class (except for the occasional Comp Eliminator A/PM or AA/PM entry). I did a search for national records for Pro Mod on the NHRA website, and the only place I could find one was under Comp Eliminator.

I just can't comprehend how a lot of this forum can ignore the total awesomeness that was the first round of Pro Mod. Lots of side by side fives and just about every car in the fives. Best racing of the meet by far.

I bet in the long run the PM class will suffer the same problem as the alcohol classes. The alcohol classes suffer from an identity crises. Joe/Jane Blow comes to a race. Sits in the stands and watches Stock, Super Stock, Comp, Alcohol and thinks to himself/herself this alcohol racing is a pretty neat deal...then Fuel comes along after getting interested in PS and they think this fuel deal is the sh*t. All of a sudden the alcohol class to the common person is pretty boring..same cars yet not as loud or as fast as the fuel cars.

The PM class I think started off as something unique. Willys, 57 Chevy etc. It has progressed quickly to modern bodies and mainly blown cars. They are getting to be mainly alcohol cars with doors. I can't blame the racers...they need to have the best bodies, aerodynamically to race. However I think its getting to be a generic class. To keep it interesting, make the teams run early style bodies..make it more entertaining for teams to run nitrous or turbo. There are a few that compete with those combos however the class is getting boring quickly.

I just can't comprehend how a lot of this forum can ignore the total awesomeness that was the first round of Pro Mod. Lots of side by side fives and just about every car in the fives. Best racing of the meet by far.

I bet in the long run the PM class will suffer the same problem as the alcohol classes. The alcohol classes suffer from an identity crises. Joe/Jane Blow comes to a race. Sits in the stands and watches Stock, Super Stock, Comp, Alcohol and thinks to himself/herself this alcohol racing is a pretty neat deal...then Fuel comes along after getting interested in PS and they think this fuel deal is the sh*t. All of a sudden the alcohol class to the common person is pretty boring..same cars yet not as loud or as fast as the fuel cars.

The PM class I think started off as something unique. Willys, 57 Chevy etc. It has progressed quickly to modern bodies and mainly blown cars. They are getting to be mainly alcohol cars with doors. I can't blame the racers...they need to have the best bodies, aerodynamically to race. However I think its getting to be a generic class. To keep it interesting, make the teams run early style bodies..make it more entertaining for teams to run nitrous or turbo. There are a few that compete with those combos however the class is getting boring quickly.

While pro mod will never beat the fuel classes in popularity I think it will always stay more popular than the alky classes.

I know little of this pro-mod class you all speak of. A couple of questions if you don,t mind. Do they all run on alcohol? Are the motors bigger than with the alcohol classes? What actually is a mountain motor? Thanks for your expertise. Mike.

Alcohol and Blow
or
Gas and Nitrous
or
Alcohol and Turbo

Different CI restrictions dependent on what combination you run etc

Michael the air was awesome! Did you see all the 5.40's the Alky FC's were runnin?

While pro mod will never beat the fuel classes in popularity I think it will always stay more popular than the alky classes.

Maybe. We were originally told that Pro/Mod showcased a great variety of cars and that accounted for its popularity.
Look at the Pro/Mod feature in the Gatornationals souvenir edition of National Dragster. Most of the cars pictured are Camaros of the 1968 vintage and a Firebird of that same age. 2 Corvettes, 1 Ford, 1 Plymouth, and 1 Dodge.
The current series benefits from a great sponsor and I hope that it is successful. Variety, however, is on the wane.

The Top Alcohol cars continue to be quicker, and are, for my money, the best racing in the NHRA. I am always happy to see other fans' favorites succeed.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back