[History]Who pioneered the use of 2 magnetos? (1 Viewer)

Paul, I want to say AA/Dale... I know he made 3 work... but it may have been before him and Kenny hooked up... and could Ray Alley have had something to do with it... seem to think RacPaks and twin mags all about the same time...

I don't mean to hijack the thread... but was there ever a 4 valve (8 cyl) Top Fuel motor? I think the McGee was a 4 valve if I remember correctly..

The first time I remember seeing the 2 mag set-up was on Dale Pulde's "War Eagle" car in Columbus. I believe it was in the early 80's but I'm not sure about the date at all. I know that I had never seen or heard of it before then. I think Mike Hamby was still with him............"HIP"

I think I remember seeing in National Dragster that NHRA froze the limit on 2 mags and 14-71 blowers in '83!

I think the RamChargers FC had dual plaus WAYYY back.

Armstrong/KB did indeed have 3 in 85-86 area.

That's the earliest I've ever seen them. Was browsing through a book of old funny car pictures recently and saw that thing with eight plug wires to a side. Has to be early 70s.

Yeah, NHRA wasted no time limiting them to two about as quickly as Dale Armstrong was coming out with three. Not the first rule they've made in his "name", LOL. He's also the reason the book says something like no more than one speed blower drive, LOL.

In 1970, Dan Knapp of the Ramchargers, was running two mags and sixteen plugs Car was driven by LeRoy Goldstein...............Perry Jr.

chrysler used to have a cast aluminum head way back that came with provisions for 2 plugs per cylinder. right after double a dale tried 3 plugs per cylinder , billy meyer had 4 plugs per cylinder on his at 1 or 2 races. i think dave settles was his crew chief at the time.

I want to say that by late 72 most of the 'House" car were running twins... heck I don't remember the 70's, I lived them... opps TMI :eek:

Thank you gentlemen!
Bruce brought up the excellent point of the heads.
So were all these guys with 2 and 3 plugs making their own heads or were they readily available?

Thank you gentlemen!
Bruce brought up the excellent point of the heads.
So were all these guys with 2 and 3 plugs making their own heads or were they readily available?

Mopar sold 2 plug heads for many years thru their dealers- I believe they were in aluminum only.

I know that the King Camaro aa/fc back in the early 70's experimented with a 2 mag set up, but this was done with a genuine rat motor. If I am right, they drilled in the the head along the intake port side and added a second plug. As to how they drove two mags, I can only think they made an adapter and ran the mags off the front of the motor; if they ran them off the back, I'd like to see how they did it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back