Hernandez hangs on in Bristol to get to quarterfinals (1 Viewer)

Deby

Nitro Member
Hernandez hangs on in Bristol to get to quarterfinals

BRISTOL, TENN. (July 7, 2007) - Dodging a bullet in the first round of eliminations in the O'Reilly NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway in Bristol, Tenn., Josh Hernandez, driver of the Tommy Lipar Racing-sponsored Dr. Moon's Rage '68 Camaro, advanced to the second round of eliminations in AMS Pro Mod Challenge competition.

Hernandez was handed the win in the opening round Saturday when his opponent, Rick Stivers, left the starting line before the tree was activated. As it turns out, Hernandez needed the break, as he broke a blower belt at 500' and had to coast to the finish line to take the win.

"It was ugly - but it's still a win," Hernandez said. "I never like to win that way - and I feel badly for Rick, because I know that when my staging light flickered, it threw him off - and, with a two-step clutch, there was nothing he could do to hold onto it. It was just one of those things though.

"Howard [Moon, crew chief] had the car tuned so consistently during qualifying, it was really surprising we went out and blew the belt, but, we got past that round to try to get back in the winner's circle tomorrow."

Hernandez ended qualifying in the No. 3 spot with a 6.141/238.26, recording the top speed thus far in the meet.

"The track is tight, but the groove is really narrow, so tomorrow, I'll really have to stay focused to keep advancing," he said.

Tony Pontieri has lane choice over Hernandez in the quarterfinals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back