Happy belated birthday to Big Daddy (1 Viewer)

TSK

Staff member
Nitro Member
I just read that Garlits’ 92nd birthday was on January 14.
It’s hard to believe he’s 92.
The first time I saw him run was in the very early ‘70s when he came to Carlisle Drag-O-Way in Carlisle, Arkansas.
He was match racing another back motor car from Little Rock; “The Pusher.”

I just read that Garlits’ 92nd birthday was on January 14.
It’s hard to believe he’s 92.
The first time I saw him run was in the very early ‘70s when he came to Carlisle Drag-O-Way in Carlisle, Arkansas.
He was match racing another back motor car from Little Rock; “The Pusher.”
Oh my, "The Pusher" saw the car once maybe twice here in the Northwest in the mid 70s at Seattle or Spokane.
Was it Mike Tarter in the seat? It suck's when you can't remember everything from 45 plus years ago.

Jim,
Yes it was Mike Tarter.
Sometimes, I can’t remember something from 45 minutes ago, much less 45 years.
Thanks Ted, woohoo I can still remember, and I'm that person who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Went through some old issues of SS & DI, found this picture,1979 AHRA race at the old Alamo Dragway, San Antonio.

1705590898166.png

AA/FD "The Pusher" Mike Tarter in the seat.

Last edited:
I watched a couple of his museum tours on YouTube and he can tell you the dates, E.T.'s, who he ran and speed of races from 50-60 years ago. I can't even remember the last time I went the bathrrom!
I'm tempted to schedule a tour just to listen to him.

Jimi, that would be a great tour! Never been there myself but that would be one place I would go to. The history in that place is just incredible.

Jimi, that would be a great tour! Never been there myself but that would be one place I would go to. The history in that place is just incredible.
I was there about 13-14 years ago (no personal tour) and it was great then. I can only imagine what it's like now since he is constantly adding cars.

Last edited:
I attended his museum tour last October. It was money very well spent, including airfare from Oregon... I have some prints from the '94 Winters that I wanted to get signed. They aren't anything special, just Don doing what he enjoys, wrenching on the engine. (If I recall correctly, Gary Clapshaw was driving. I could be wrong) Over the years I kept trying to combine the trip with some other event; Gators, Swamp-Buggies, etc, but it never worked out. Finally I decided to just make a designated trip. My gal was speaking at some convention in Orlando so I had a place to stay. I contacted the Museum through its contact page and eventually heard back. Seems they had organized a tour around my schedule. Really cool. Spent two(ish) hours with the Master Storyteller, got my prints signed (shared a few extras with some of the other attendees), and finished off the afternoon perusing some of the greatest drag-racing machines on the planet. The only drawback is Don's hearing. Couldn't really interact. Guess I shouldn't have waited so long...

I watched a couple of his museum tours on YouTube and he can tell you the dates, E.T.'s, who he ran and speed of races from 50-60 years ago.

Of course, there's no quick way to know if any of his memories are accurate. But, it sure seems like he has that type of memory and thus I wouldn't be surprised if he really did remember all those events from so many years ago. Any of us would be so lucky to live that long, and still be in pretty good health and also have all our marbles.

Of course, there's no quick way to know if any of his memories are accurate. But, it sure seems like he has that type of memory and thus I wouldn't be surprised if he really did remember all those events from so many years ago. Any of us would be so lucky to live that long, and still be in pretty good health and also have all our marbles.
Some of what you say may true and if it is, it's a well rehearsed presentation. I went back and watched some older videos (keep in mind these videos are customers videos, not a pro film crew) of his tours and for the most part he has repeated the same facts and figures throughout the tour. As for NHRA races, I'm sure they have records that would verify his performance, match races, not so much.

First time I saw Garlits in person was at Lions. That was 1970, the race where he had the accident. I remember he set Low ET at 6.57 & that was the quickest ET I'd ever seen at the time. Hated seeing the accident but when Garlits came back 1971 with the back motor car, boy did that change T/F !

First time I saw Garlits was at Riverside raceway. I think it was 1959 and he was to race Jack Chrisman in the final. Garlits had spun some bearings and was going to sit it out. Gary Cagel was trying to loan the engine out of his car but Garlits would not accept the loan. The next time I saw him was at Sears Point in 1997. I wanted to get his autograph on (for me) a special t-shirt. I remarked the first time I had seen him was at Riverside and he proceded to describe the day and events. Outstanding memory.

Happy B day Big!
I wish someone with a top fueler would let him run a pass… set a record for fastest at his age.
Kudos ( and RIP) to Gary Clapshaw who lent his car to Big some time ago. Who will be the next? Leah, I’m looking in your direction!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back