Hagan remains proud of Magneti Marelli/Mopar team after second-round loss at Sunday's (1 Viewer)

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (March 17, 2013) - Matt Hagan and the Magneti Marelli offered by Mopar/Rocky Boots team didn't make it as far as they would've liked in Sunday's NHRA Gatornationals at Gainesville Raceway.

But it is hard for Hagan and the team to hang their heads after being defeated in the second round of eliminations by Don Schumacher Racing teammate and 2012 NHRA world champion Jack Beckman.

"I was really pumped up today and even though we're out after the second round that doesn't change how pumped up I am about this Magneti Marelli/Mopar/Rocky Boots team," Hagan said. "I just can't say enough about the hard work they're putting in and it is paying off."

Hagan had one thing to celebrate when DSR teammate Antron Brown won the Top Fuel title to give DSR a total of 200 titles. Hagan contributed five titles to the milestone 200.

"That's quite an accomplishment," Hagan said. "It just shows how long DSR has been such a great organization.

One of the first congratulatory messages came from Pietro Gorlier, president and chief executive of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand.

"On behalf of everyone at Mopar, I would like to extend our heartfelt congratulations to Don Schumacher and his team for reaching the 200-win milestone with victories by Johnny Gray in Funny Car and Antron Brown in Top Fuel," Gorlier said.

"Don has been a long-time loyal supporter and friend of the Mopar brand, as both a team owner and driver, making his first of many trips to the winner's circle in a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda Funny Car at the U.S. Nationals. We applaud his drive and determination that led him to this remarkable milestone and wish him many more wins in the years to come."

Hagan's support from Mopar made his first round win even more special.

In the opening round of Sunday's eliminations Hagan defeated the Ford Mustang of Bob Tasca III with a 4.091-second pass at 308 mph. In the second round, he posted a 4.130-second run at 306 mph but was unable to get past Beckman's 4.094-second lap.

"The car is running great, the team is working well together and Dickie has stepped in and he's doing a great job with this team and this car," Hagan said. " We made it down the track on five out of six runs and that's really something considering how tricky it was out here this weekend."

Hagan knows the pressures on him as a driver to get a good starting line advantage and has performed well in this young 2013 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season.

"I feel good about my driving. We had a good advantage off the starting line but we got beat down the track by Beckman.

"That's the good and bad thing about racing your teammate. You know it's going to be a good race and it was. You win some and you lose some and that's what happened here today in Gainesville. We'll pack up and get ready for the next one in Las Vegas."

Hagan is unofficially fourth in NHRA Mello Yello Funny Car points standings.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back