Hagan, Penzoil - Beckman, Valvoline...?? (1 Viewer)

iceman

Nitro Member
Did anybody see that Mopar has increased it's support with Matt Hagan; and along with this penzoil is coming on board? What happened to Valvoline; are they leaving DSR along with Aarons as primary sponsors for the new two funny car team of Beckman and Brown?

Bobby, does this phrase mean that Mopar will be Hagan's primary sponsor next year?

"will increase its presence on Hagan’s car for the entire 2012 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series."

The term "increase its presence" seems a bit vague. It could be in an associate manner or it could be in a primary manner

Valvoline has been peppering the airwaves both on TV and radio with the Next Gen campaign and they are highlighting Jack and Antron in their media. I would hope they would build on this rather letting these teams switch to a competitor. However, if Pennzoil could entice a move good for them and I hope they use the teams in advertising like Valvoline is.

you know Matts family owns several dealerships... maybe the Pennzoil deal came on form a connection there.. kind of like their deal with Penski?

you know Matts family owns several dealerships... maybe the Pennzoil deal came on form a connection there.. kind of like their deal with Penski?

very probable billy, and the magneti mareli deal the same.
.02 guess to primarily promote pennzoil quick lube plus.
interested to hear more about the magneti mareli deal.
hagan's 2012 efforts apparently won't suffer from lack of funding.

wasn't beckman's deal shaky at start of '11? then aaron's surfaced?
allowing arrons/valvoline to share 22 races?.... could be wrong.
MTS mail service went away.

very probable billy, and the magneti mareli deal the same.
.02 guess to primarily promote pennzoil quick lube plus.
interested to hear more about the magneti mareli deal.
hagan's 2012 efforts apparently won't suffer from lack of funding.

This all has to do with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM and their Express Lane locations. I'm sure this is to compete with Bob Tascas Ford Quicklane deal.

All of the offical dealer Express Lanes now have Pennzoil products. I work at a Dodge dealer and we are getting an offical Express Lane, and there is going to be Pennzoil signage everywhere. It's a pretty big deal.

Magneti Marelli also goes along with the Dodge Express Lanes. The deal with that is having off brand parts in stock for all makes and models in the Dodge store. We just bought half a truck load of stuff it seems like from the Magneti Marelli Mopar program.

Say you brought your Chevy Impala into a Dodge dealer for work, we would have Magneti Marelli oil filters, air filters, cabin filters, etc. sold under the Mopar name.

Oddly enough, the reason for Magneti Marelli is to make us quit buying the off brand stuff from auto parts stores like we normally would, and I was told the #1 company we are trying to get business from is Napa. Of course Advancve, O'Reillys are in there also.

Last edited:
This all has to do with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM and their Express Lane locations. I'm sure this is to compete with Bob Tascas Ford Quicklane deal.

All of the offical dealer Express Lanes now have Pennzoil products. I work at a Dodge dealer and we are getting an offical Express Lane, and there is going to be Pennzoil signage everywhere. It's a pretty big deal.

Magneti Marelli also goes along with the Dodge Express Lanes. The deal with that is having off brand parts in stock for all makes and models in the Dodge store. We just bought half a truck load of stuff it seems like from the Magneti Marelli Mopar program.

Say you brought your Chevy Impala into a Dodge dealer for work, we would have Magneti Marelli oil filters, air filters, cabin filters, etc. sold under the Mopar name.

Oddly enough, the reason for Magneti Marelli is to make us quit buying the off brand stuff from auto parts stores like we normally would, and I was told the #1 company we are trying to get business from is Napa. Of course Advancve, O'Reillys are in there also.

Is Valvoline and Pennzoil owned by same corp.? This could be the answer.

I just like the idea of Valvoline and Pennzoil in the market of Funny Car trying to knock down Castrol! Great stuff foder even if it's not a huge huge deal.

Here is a shot of some of the Magneti Marelli Mopar stuff on our shelf.

MM.jpg

Here is a Pennzoil training certificate the service advisors had to do at my store. I assume all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep ram dealers will have to complete this at some time.

Pennzoil.jpg

when budweiser and miller lite were still around as sponsors we had the "beer wars" every time Larry Dixon and the Bernstein's raced each other. Now we have the "oil wars"

We had oil wars in top fuel in the early 90's

Joe Amato - Valvoline
Eddie Hill - Pennzoil
Gary Ormsby/Pat Austin- Castrol
Shirley Muldowney- Petromolly Oh wait... :D

Last edited:
garlits - kendall
whiting - valvoline

what's odd is the difference between motor oil/lube service business
and the beverage business.
motor oil & lube centers flying specific oil brands very much into NHRA to
establish and reinforce brand.
beer, on the other hand, has many brands but the original main american
large brewery beers still exist and still sell well (bud, miller, coors).
why are beer companies presently ignoring NHRA? they are not ignoring
other motorsports.
it seems obvious a drag racing fan demographic likes vehicles and hence the
auto parts / oil / tires / tools / quick lube sponsors....
but, we are mostly all beer drinkers too - i don't get it. IMO the NHRA is
ripe rite now for a beer company to make a splash.
i'd like to see something unique.... like Pacifico.

I have used Valvoline in everything I possibly can since I was old enough to change the oil in tractors or auto's.

Why? Cale's number 27, Buddy Bakers 21, and Neil Bonnett 75. All in Winston Cup Racing.

Didn't become the huge drag racing guy until 1996 when it exceeded my likeness for circle track.

Very happy they associate themselves with DSR.

I guess nobody says there has to be an official oil provider of DSR. BTW, Happy Birthday Don. Thanks for all you do for our sport...

JL

Nope.

In 2002, the Royal Dutch/Shell Group purchased Pennzoil-Quaker State to form SOPUS--Shell Oil Products US.

Valvoline is a product of Ashland Inc.

They're two different companies.

I read some where long time ago.. 90's i think.. that Valvoline was just a name on a product from a marketing company.. the actual oil refinerys were owned by APAC construction... they suposedly bought out the company becasue of their HUGE oil and grease bills and sold the name rights to the marketing company...

It has to do with a Mopar and Pennzoil contract, cross promoting each other's products. If they are stepping up on Hagan's car, this is part of their package.

I bought a Dodge SRT a few years ago and it says on the engine cover to use ONLY Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I was on an SRT chat line one evening with the SRT engineers and they stated (at the time) that Mobil 1 voided their contract with Chrysler, and that those stickers were strictly a marketing ploy, and that any synthetic oil that met specifications could be used in their cars and still meet the warranty. I'm sure that new Dodge products will soon carry Pennzoil requirements, and you will more than likely see Pennzoil, as well as Shell, associated with ALL Mopar race teams.

Mopar Magazine | Three Strong Brands

There was an excellent story in today's Austin Statesman about how all NASCAR sponsors meet and discuss these cross marketing strategies.

Austin's Freescale embraces NASCAR with chip business, sponsorship

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back