Haddock Clinches IHRA Funny Car World Championship at the Rock (1 Viewer)

Rockingham, NC (Oct. 19, 2008) -- Lend America Funny Car driver Terry Haddock claimed the 2008 IHRA Nitro Funny Car world championship Sunday by defeating rookie Matt Hagan in the first round of eliminations at the 13th annual IHRA World Finals this weekend at Rockingham Dragway.

After qualifying No. 1 as the only racer in the four-second zone and almost two-tenths of a second ahead of the closest racer, Haddock said his confidence was high heading into eliminations, but the pressure of facing Hagan in round one was enormous.

“When I pulled to the line against Matt, I was stressed out,” Haddock said. “I knew it wasn’t completely on the line, but this was my shot at putting him away and wrapping the whole thing up. I wanted to do everything right, just like we had so many times this season, so that was what I focused on, and the results are in the history books.”

When the lights climbed down the Christmas tree, Haddock took off and never looked back. Leading the whole way, the Woodville, Wash.-resident decisively took the stripe, 5.053/284.03 to Hagan’s 5.703/184.25.

“I can’t thank my family, sponsors and crew enough for getting my here -- we all have earned this together. The crew has been with me through thick and thin, rain and shine, and they are the ones who put me in a car that could win rounds and races.

“On top of that, Lend America and Mike Ashley have been an incredible support, and Mike is such an amazing mentor and friend. He called me right after the race and told me how proud he was to have me on the Lend America team, and then said, ‘now go enjoy the win. You’ve earned every second of it.’

“We’ve had so many fine sponsors also help us along the way -- DJ Safety and Aircat Pneumatic tools, Red Line Oil, Race Girl and so many more. Without their support, we would never have gotten here,” he said.

After clinching the championship and getting the ‘weight of the world’ off his shoulders, Haddock prepared to take on John Lawson in round two, with hopes of doubling up and winning the race. Those hopes, however, were dashed when the blower separated from the engine, sheering every retaining stud and ending the champion’s day.

“We were just so relaxed and relieved after we clinched the championship that we probably didn’t check things as closely as we should have and it just blew apart about half-way down the track. I wasn’t too worried, though, because we came to do what we had to do, and we were successful in making that happen,” Haddock said.

“Winning the world championship hasn’t really hit me yet — I’ll probably be able to think about it tomorrow, but for now, I’m just kind of numb. This is a dream come true, and I’ve got so much to be thankful for, so many people who have helped me -- it just has to become real in my head.”

Haddock and crew will have several weeks for the reality to sink in before they are officially awarded the championship at the Nitro Jam Awards Banquet November 15 at the Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, Ohio.

Lend America, a National Mortgage Banking Organization and one of New York's largest privately-owned direct lenders, has proudly served the residential mortgage marketplace for more than 20 years. The company is one of the most successful direct-to-consumer lenders in the United States and is the region's largest and most well known FHA direct lender. Lend America offers a wide range of home purchase and refinance programs to meet their clients' individual requirements and employs approximately 650 employees at its headquarters in Melville, New York. Learn more about Lend America at the company website: Nationwide, direct lender, Lend America offers mortgages, loans, with little to no money down, quick loan process or by calling (888) 680-RACE.

DJ Safety is a full service safety company located in Los Angeles, CA. Since their beginning in 1996 the company has evolved into one of the most diverse safety companies in existence today. Visit the company website for a fill listing of all their safety products: DJ Safety

AIRCAT(r) is a line of quality pneumatic hand tools that incorporates the unique patented exhaust muffler/filter technology developed by AIRCAT(r). The AIRCAT(r) line has substantially reduced the level of noise while retaining more power and torque. AIRCAT(r) tools have been tested and shown to operate at 82 to 84 dba or lower with 100% of the power. This line represents the most significant advance in the performance of pneumatic tools in 30 years. Noise does not necessarily mean power. Learn more at Aircat - index

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back