Habanero peppers ~ cleans out your sinus'! (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
This afternoon I followed a Bobby Flay recipe for grilled corn on the cob.... which calls for a 1/4 of a Habanero pepper, finely chopped. Now keep in mind, I'm not the cooking type.... it's literally a once or twice a year happening when I really go all out to make a full, fancy meal. I never even heard of them before.... but I went to the grocery, and searched for them... cute little red peppers. As soon as I cut into it, I started coughing uncontrollably. With 3 Coors' in me, like an idiot, I thought, "they can't be worse than a jalepeno", so I took a nibble. I might as well have stuck a piece of glowing charcoal in my mouth. I cannot describe the burning sensation... from an innocent piece no bigger than an M & M's candy.
Even the other people in the room started coughing after smelling it.
Imagine wetting your fingers with battery acid and then just rubbing them on your lips ..... that has to pale in comparison to this.
Ugh, it's been 4 hours later now - my mouth is still numb... and my blood pressure is probably 190 over 170.

Let this be a warning to all you maters - stay clear of those cute, colorful little firebombs..........:D

This afternoon I followed a Bobby Flay recipe for grilled corn on the cob.... which calls for a 1/4 of a Habanero pepper, finely chopped. Now keep in mind, I'm not the cooking type.... it's literally a once or twice a year happening when I really go all out to make a full, fancy meal. I never even heard of them before.... but I went to the grocery, and searched for them... cute little red peppers. As soon as I cut into it, I started coughing uncontrollably. With 3 Coors' in me, like an idiot, I thought, "they can't be worse than a jalepeno", so I took a nibble. I might as well have stuck a piece of glowing charcoal in my mouth. I cannot describe the burning sensation... from an innocent piece no bigger than an M & M's candy.
Even the other people in the room started coughing after smelling it.
Imagine wetting your fingers with battery acid and then just rubbing them on your lips ..... that has to pale in comparison to this.
Ugh, it's been 4 hours later now - my mouth is still numb... and my blood pressure is probably 190 over 170.

Let this be a warning to all you maters - stay clear of those cute, colorful little firebombs..........:D

Bread maybe? Maybe two or three loaves? :D

Chris, I've probably repeated this story a few times and you missed it! We've been going to the Miller Lite Chili Cookoff at Stone Mountain Park in Georgia for over ten years now. The first year there were over 200 contestants' chili to try (I emphasize try) and sample. Now there's over 300.

Occasionally someone will put out a second batch of habanero chili just for fun, not entered in the cookoff. A guy got me the first year. I'm walking through and he asks "You want some hot stuff?" I said "Sure!"

All the samples are in those fast food catchup sized plastic cups. After dipping it out of a second, small pot, he hands it to me. As I grabbed it, he gripped the cup so I'd look him in the eye before letting me have it. He said "Be careful. This is really hot."

I'm thinking this is serious so, I take my plastic spoon from my back pocket and only eat about half of what's in the cup. After swallowing, I looked at him and said "It's okay. It's not hot or anything." He keeps looking back and forth at the pot and me, like he's very confused. I downed the rest of the cup, turned, and walked away.

I made it about 50 ft and stopped. I was in the absolute bowels of hell! What a delay! I instantly had sweat coming from all over. My eyes watered at such a rate that I couldn't even see for about ten minutes. I'm standing there with my mouth wide open, just trying to breathe as slowing and gently as possible because air felt like a blowtorch. Places that the chili didn't even touch were sore, such as the outside of my mouth. My tongue was physically sore for the rest of the day.

People say crackers, milk, bread, etc but, all I ever found to work is time.

What's funny is when you recover, you go back to watch others go through what you just did!

Just be glad you didn't rub your eyes.

Last edited:
Whenever we cook fajitas or nearly anything on the grill I always use ground Habanero pepper and sprinkle some on while doing the seasoning. But remember..A little goes a LOOONG way! If your not careful you will be spitting fire out both ends!!!:eek::p

Whatcha gotta do with jabaneros is this, roast them over an open flame. Then wrap them up in a tortilla and eat. Oh, and make sure you chew up those seeds really good too. :p

Whatcha gotta do with jabaneros is this, roast them over an open flame. Then wrap them up in a tortilla and eat. Oh, and make sure you chew up those seeds really good too. :p

LOL, we deep fry everything and you wrap it up in a tortilla. A fast food place near here sells battered and fried dill pickle slices with ranch for dipping.

Milk just covers it up..water won't dissipate it either.

You need an acidic juice..grapefruit is the best..which breaks and moves the oil down..that is what is hanging around.

About 6 years ago or so, I brought some sauce to work made from Habaneros. Now the smell alone could burn the hair out of your nose, and I would but just a bit on a hamburger, and mix it in with the mustard for a good heatwave. Keep in mind that the mechanics at the time were all hispanic, and all liked the hot stuff. (Except Eddie, the only hispanic guy I ever seen that could eat one slice of jalapeno and look like he was going to drop). Jesus grabs my sauce, and proceeds to lather his burger like he was using ketchup. I told him, and 2 other guys told him that he was way overboard, and he called us, for ratings sake, sissies. As he ate 5 or 6 bites, the sweat started to roll off of his forehead. About 30 minutes later, he was in the restroom, where he pondered his ways for about 30 minutes or so.

And from then on, he was always careful to ask me about the sauce that I might bring in....

Has anybody ever tried "Wasabe nuts"?

I was at a tire warehouse picking up some tires for a customer and there was a bowl on the counter that said "Caution, these are hot!!!!

So they told me what they were and so I took some to the guys. I didn't tell them what they are but they saw me with something that looked like Candy and didn't hesitate to pop a couple in their mouths before I could stop them.

My dad spit his out, my brother bit right into it, but my mom spit hers clear across the room.

It was a good thing I was also holding a fresh venti green tea frapachino, because between the three of them, there was no more left!

Has anybody ever tried "Wasabe nuts"?

I was at a tire warehouse picking up some tires for a customer and there was a bowl on the counter that said "Caution, these are hot!!!!

So they told me what they were and so I took some to the guys. I didn't tell them what they are but they saw me with something that looked like Candy and didn't hesitate to pop a couple in their mouths before I could stop them.

My dad spit his out, my brother bit right into it, but my mom spit hers clear across the room.

It was a good thing I was also holding a fresh venti green tea frapachino, because between the three of them, there was no more left!

Pure evil I tell you!!!!:D

I Love the Wasabi Green Peas. They are addicting!

I am a fan of the "horseradishy" type of burn. Habenero's are waaay too much for me. They have a Chili Pepper Show here in Fort Worth every year and they have the Habenero Pepper eating contest. These people are nuts! They have cans of whipped cream that they spray in their mouths after trying the stuff. It is pretty funny to watch.

I like the sinus clearing heat of Chinese hot mustard on some sliced barbecue pork....that is a good burn. And a good horseradish with some prime rib....hmmmm good stuff!!

I like the sinus clearing heat of Chinese hot mustard on some sliced barbecue pork....that is a good burn. And a good horseradish with some prime rib....hmmmm good stuff!!

When I was little, my brother told me that mustard came from Mustard bugs. Never been able to eat it knowingly since.

Dave's Insanity Sauce..if you stick a toothpick in it and then stir your bowl of chili..that's about enough.

Found it about 20 yrs ago..and I whined when it was $5 a bottle. The sales guy says "Yea..but you can pass it on to your grandchildren"

Dave's Store

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back