Greg Anderson's Mentor (1 Viewer)

From the position that I'm in, I hear a lot of stories and write a lot of them. This was one that touched the heart. This was a tough interview for Greg to discuss, as I realize, and one I was honored to author.

Good job Bobby!

I was at that race in 1983, and saw the accident first hand from the spectator side fence just past the finish line. It looked really bad. The crowd was fairly subdued afterwards, and I think knew that things were probably not going to turn out well for John.

RIP John Hagen

I seem to remember hearing some talk at that race that John was considering getting out of pro-stock for financial reasons and because he thought that the car performance was beginning to exceed the safety margin. It may have just been idle rumors, but that's what I remember hearing.

While not being a Greg Anderson fan, I greatly respect the work that the K.B. Racing team does to be as good as they are. That was as interesting a piece of drag racing writing as I've seen in a long time! Great job, Bobby, for showing a completely different side of Greg, and giving me a new respect for him personally.

Super piece Bobby. I know a lot of people may not be huge fans of Greg, because often that's what happens when people become too successful. But I think that article showed another side to Greg, and also reminds us just how long he has worked to chase his dream. We of course think of Greg and the most recent few years of his career, but it's obvious he has been working a long, long time to get where he is, and I think it's great that he speaks so highly of John Hagen, and keeps in touch with his family after all these years.

Nice job, Bobby.

You managed to show the Greg that I've always known.

The haters have to be very confused right now.

Great story. Personally I never followed the "taxi cabs". To me, they were there so we could make a bathroom break and the get some chow.

But when the NHRA and it seems, everyone else started getting on Greg's team trying to slow them down, level the field if you wish, I started to root for him.

I still don't really follow them, but I consider Pro Stock, Greg Anderson vs the rest of them.

Jay

That was a very good article. I have to confess that I have been one of the people that rooted for anybody but Greg because he's been so dominant. I have a different perspective on him now.

Nice Article. Thanks Bobby. Hagen was ... well a hero to me. I was in John's pit earlier on that fateful day. My Dad was good friends with John and Charby. The plan was; when I got "old enough" to go drag racing. That day changed the plan for my family.

Good job Bobby!

I was at that race in 1983, and saw the accident first hand from the spectator side fence just past the finish line. It looked really bad. The crowd was fairly subdued afterwards, and I think knew that things were probably not going to turn out well for John.

RIP John Hagen

I seem to remember hearing some talk at that race that John was considering getting out of pro-stock for financial reasons and because he thought that the car performance was beginning to exceed the safety margin. It may have just been idle rumors, but that's what I remember hearing.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back