Great Mickey Thompson murder trial article (1 Viewer)

I agree, lets hope they finally get the justice they deserve. He was a Drag Racing great.

A very good article.

Dan

A good refresher on how it all came down and some inside business dealings info. I hope it all goes well for all the Thompson family & friends. It's fairly obvious to me to see who dun-it..... http://www.laweekly.com/general/features/murder-on-the-last-turn/14781/

That was a great read. The only thing that puts me off a little is how he describes the shooting and what Mickey said. Obviously there are no witnesses so that part is just conjecture.

Thanks for sharing the link.

I agree, lets hope they finally get the justice they deserve. He was a Drag Racing great.

A very good article.

Dan

I'd like to make a brief comment as one who did business with Mike Goodwin early in his promotional career. I am a charter member of a motorcycle club, Dirt Diggers North, who are promoters of the annual "Hangtown Moto Cross." Back in the late 60's we were contacted by Goodwin to help him promote an outdoor race at Cal Expo, the site of the California State Fair. At at late hour the people who were going to assist him in promoting withdrew from the event and he contacted our club to help him out. We provided technical support and flag people and the event successfully staged without a hitch. In return we were verbally promised that Goodwin would arrange 2 race dates at the Cal Expo site, silly us. As it turned out Goodwin stiffed the State of California and we were out in the cold. After the state sued Goodwin for fees and damages, we were successful in getting 1 race date on the site. Goodwins main competition in promoting concerts and super cross was a company from Houston called Pace Management. I know for a fact that Goodwin was a shister and a blatant liar and there were several law suits between the two companies. I got a big laugh in the LA Weekly story about how 6'3" Goodwin could serve as his own body guard. Again, I personally saw Mike Goodwin turn white as a sheet and run away from a 5'7" Japanese guy when he asked Goodwin to pay a past due debt at a super cross in Anaheim. I never knew Mickey Thompson personally, but I've been also been a drag racer since the early 60's and I hope Goodwin does get convicted. Sorry, I guess this didn't turn out so brief after all.

Yeah, if circumstantial were all you needed, I'd say that guy would be toast. If you're of the intelligence level to repeatedly and openly say you're going to kill someone and that you'll never get caught for it, then the person ends up getting killed in what is obviously a "hit"? That'd be enough for me if I were a juror. I'd convict you on your own stupidity if nothing else. Glad to see him sharing a trailer with his dad. Amazing to find out that when we were all watching this very entertaining Supercross racing on TV that the promoter was such a swindler.

This reminds me. When I was a teenager pretty much everyone had their enduros and dirt bikes. Wasn't Oakley a big name in rider wear back then? Grips, visors, boots, etc?

Last edited:
This reminds me. When I was a teenager pretty much everyone had their enduros and dirt bikes. Wasn't Oakley a big name in rider wear back then? Grips, visors, boots, etc?

That's spot on. Oakley started in the google field to compete against Scott USA who had crossed over from the winter sports field. Who woulda known then where they were going?

So he's not a nice guy. I didn't see where they had any evidence to prove he was the killer. Or even that indicates he was. That story has a lot of holes in it.

Remember the old saying, believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you read. I think that applies to this in spades.

Well, how many times do we see proven criminals get off on technicalities? Like I said, you "boast" that you're going to kill somebody and that you won't get caught, then that person is killed in what is obviously a hit? If I'm on that jury, you're going to prison just for being an a-hole. Promising that you're going to do it and then it happens is enough for me until someone else is proven.

So he's not a nice guy. I didn't see where they had any evidence to prove he was the killer. Or even that indicates he was. That story has a lot of holes in it.

Remember the old saying, believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you read. I think that applies to this in spades.
Hmmm..doesn't mean squat to me..but the fact that he's spent many years in captivity from the mere standpoint that he's a major suspect..among other charges..is good enough for me.

Are you insinuating that this poor guy is locked up for reasons that are unjustified? Do you believe that all these years this innocent human being has been persecuted because he's innocent?? It has nothing to do with his being an ******* Dude. When it comes to evidence..circumstantial has never been more relevant.......than in this case.

And I'm all about equal justice. What I feel comfortable about is this life has bascially been ruined..whether he has been found guilty or not. Spending years in jail for mostly unrelated charges..or related sucks don't it??

I haven't heard anything..and only read half of it..and I'm happy.

And I'm all about equal justice. What I feel comfortable about is this life has bascially been ruined..whether he has been found guilty or not. Spending years in jail for mostly unrelated charges..or related sucks don't it??

Especially the fact that they made sure that he saw his wife be killed before killing him. Yeah, if nothing else, I'm going to send you away for being industrial strength stupid just in CASE you did it. There's no way I'd let the person who bragged that they were going to do it walk if nobody else is in the picture. People are wrongfully convicted and let off all the time, so it might be hard to always be 100% certain. I'd go with odds on this one, knowing I was as I cast my verdict.

Hmmm...sort of off topic, but that description of the hit sounds remarkably similar to an episode of CSI a few years back.

Hmmm..doesn't mean squat to me..but the fact that he's spent many years in captivity from the mere standpoint that he's a major suspect..among other charges..is good enough for me.

Are you insinuating that this poor guy is locked up for reasons that are unjustified? Do you believe that all these years this innocent human being has been persecuted because he's innocent?? It has nothing to do with his being an ******* Dude. When it comes to evidence..circumstantial has never been more relevant.......than in this case.

I haven't heard anything..and only read half of it..and I'm happy.

Interesting post. You read half of the article. So you're certainly well informed.

Apparently you don't mind that he's been denied due process and a speedy trial. Every day you drive your car you could end up in jail and then prison for manslaughter. I wonder how you would feel then?

Do you suggest that everyone you consider to be an azzhole should be locked up? Who would make that decision?

Back to the story. No witnesses. Thay cannot know what Mickey said. They cannot know who was shot first. They said it was his gun then found out it wasn't.

If Mickey Thompson was so afraid of being killed why wasn't he armed? None of this story makes sense.

I also hope they get the people that did this. But let's make sure it's the right people.

Whether the guy killed Mickey or not, he said he would. Look at it both ways.

Naturally a defense attorney is going to ask "Why would anyone of any intelligence level ANNOUNCE that they're going to kill someone before they do it?" They're going to say that it was just a figure of speech.

If I WERE going to kill someone, I certainly wouldn't announce to the world that I was going to do it. However, I wouldn't announce that I was going to do it if I WEREN'T going to, either. What came out of his mouth is his fault.

It's obvious that the guy was already screwing Mickey or the judge wouldn't have given Mickey his company back/gotten him out of the contract with him. He's not just an a-hole. He's a proven thief. That's why Mickey was awared a judgement. How typical. The guy steals from Mickey, then whines when Mickey manages to get a few things back.

Yeah, if you're stupid enough to say that you're going to murder someone and they end up getting murdered and nobody else can be tied to it? I say your butt's gone! Spend your time in prison knowing that you were criminally stupid.

Last edited:
Whether the guy killed Mickey or not, he said he would. Look at it both ways.

Naturally a defense attorney is going to ask "Why would anyone of any intelligence level ANNOUNCE that they're going to kill someone before they do it?" They're going to say that it was just a figure of speech.

If I WERE going to kill someone, I certainly wouldn't announce to the world that I was going to do it. However, I wouldn't announce that I was going to do it if I WEREN'T going to, either. What came out of his mouth is his fault.

It's obvious that the guy was already screwing Mickey or the judge wouldn't have given Mickey his company back/gotten him out of the contract with him. He's not just an a-hole. He's a proven thief. That's why Mickey was awared a judgement. How typical. The guy steals from Mickey, then whines when Mickey manages to get a few things back.

Yeah, if you're stupid enough to say that you're going to murder someone and they end up getting murdered and nobody else can be tied to it? I say your butt's gone!

Ron, I agree with every word you just posted except the last sentance. If he's innocent but found guilty because he's an azzhole then the guilty ones walk free. Where's the justice?

Isn't it illegal to say you're going to murder someone? To me it's even more wrong when you're the one convicted of stealing from them in the first place (not like you should be apologizing or anything). I know, one has nothing to do with the other. This is common sense and it would never be allowed in a courtroom. If you were JUST an a-hole thief, my opinion might be different. Cross the line to saying you're going to murder, then the murder happens? I say you said the wrong thing at the wrong time and if you didn't do it, you'd better hope the one who did is found before you rot for too long. I don't expect anyone to agree, but that's what I think.

WERE there no witnesses? How do they know that two guys on bicycles did it?

To be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt will be difficult, I would bet my check that a jury will dead lock and they retry...They are basically milking this guys life away knowing he was involved but really know they cannot get a guilty verdict.

Remember Mickey and him were very close @ one time and the saying "who you walk w/ is who you are" will surface for the defense....Mickey was no Dr Angel when it came to business dealings.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back