Good call by Jim Oberhofer & his boys (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Proving that safety is absolutley the top priority - even above a win and points.... the guys spotted a tire abnormality after the burnout, JimO told Hillary not to take it down the lane, and they handed over a win. Heck of a job by whoever spotted it, too.

Last edited:
According to DRO:

The crew spotted a bubble on the sidewall of the rear tire and she was told do a burnout, but not to launch the car.

Hmmm. So I wonder if it just "appeared" while sitting in the staging lanes before they ever got to the water box? I'm sure Rief & Gerrold will cover it on TV, and I'm sure JimO had the Goodyear reps all over it right away. Either way I'm glad they didn't send Hillary, and I'm glad the PROS that make up the KB top fuel crew were paying attention! As I keep saying, they're getting closer, and closer, and closer to that 1st Wally.........

I agree 100%. But similar to Prock's thinking during Robert Hight's recent incident... once they realized what was happening, rather than disconnect the starter and push the car back - suppose the other car (Whit) got up there and sprouted an oil leak or something and Rick Stewart shut him off... she could have idled down to get a win. I think they did the best they could given the situation.
It's just another good reminder to all the crews out there to visually scan every freakin square inch of your racecar, right up until your driver is ready to pre-stage.

Lets all thank god the bubble was not on the inside of the tire........

Should we expect an answer from Goodyear as to what/how it happened?

I'm actually amazed they even had her do the burnout! :eek: Seems to me that the tire could have blown then, and sent it sideways into the wall or into the Xmas tree which would have really looked bad since they knew the tire was suspect before the burnout. I'm sure that they didn't want Whit to suspect anything so that was why the full (although short) burnout and staging of the car. I wonder what Goodyear would have wanted them to do?

It was heartbreaking to see them have to give away that round, but safety is the #1 thing. I can't wait to hear what happened with that tire!

another great and class act by team kalitta! im guessing they just had her stage just in case whit red lit or borke. bummer for hillary though, she had a great car. go get em next time hill!

Joe, are you suggesting what I think too, that the crew chief shouldn't even have let her do a burnout? That seemed rather foolish based on how bad that sidewall looked.

Kurt, I can't imagine why they let her do the Burnout either, had they NOT noticed it for what ever reason is another matter. I bet every team out there examines those tires before leaving the pits from now on...

my thoughts exaxtly. i was waiting for the tire to come apart while it was spinning in the water box.

Small gamble to take. Short, quick burnout to make it look legit and take a chance on Whit screwing up. If I was in the drivers seat and had a choice of taking Jim O., Dick and Connie's opinion or Nitromater's decision on whether or not to do a burnout, well....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back