Ace American Top Fuel Tuner A Key Boxing Day Element! (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Top Fuel Dragsters are the fastest accelerating cars on planet earth and with NINE of them confirmed for Boxing Day and then Saturday (Dec 27) at Western Sydney Dragway, Ferrers Road - Eastern Creek, YOU can see for yourself the amazing power and glory of these machines which reach speeds well in excess of 500 kilometres per hour, over a quarter mile run!

In Top Fuel, the crew chief is an essential element in the racing package and when it comes to Top Fuel tuners, USA hotshot Jim Oberhofer is as good as any tuner of Nitro - anywhere in the world.

Jim Oberhofer tuned the quickest one-off run in Australian history in 2006, a 4.517 pass! (Pic: Rob Sparkes)

Oberhofer is making his third trip to Sydney this Boxing Day, this time to spin the spanners on the USA-based Hillary Will machine and speaking to Oberhofer - he believes the Australian teams will be very stiff competition!

"I do keep in contact with Bruce, Phil and Jim Read and also Santo Rapisarda and his two boys over there in Australia all the time," remarked the Kalitta Motorsports Tuner. "We probably talk on the phone or e-mail back and forth a few times each month. Bruce Read in particular has been letting me know how their cars have been running to a 1000ft, I think he is trying to scare me! They are doing a great job!"

Oberhofer paces the Western Sydney venue, guiding David Grubnic backwards back in 2005. (Pic: Fully Sick Photos).

Kalitta Motorsport has participated in a few of these USA events in Sydney come December and there is no doubt that the American expertise has had a direct flow-on benefit for the Australian ANDRA-based Top Fuel racing product.

"We are very proud of our relationships that we have with both Jim Read Racing and Rapisarda Racing. A lot of the credit needs to go to Jim Read, Santo Rapisarda and their teams for making it all happen. I don't remember what the Australian records were before we came down in 2005 but it has been cool to see the elapsed times go down to 4.5 second passes for the quarter mile and the speeds go up to well over 530kmh out there.

We are also very proud to have played a small part of Phil Read winning the last three ANDRA Championships. I think one thing people don't realize is that even though Kalitta Motorsports sold Jim Read and Santos teams cars and parts, Kalitta Motorsports can't run or work on the cars for them. Guys like Bruce Read, Rob Cavagnino and Santo Rapisarda and his boys make all of the decisions on how to run their cars and they have a good group of people maintaining the cars both at the races and between races. I believe that you are only as good as the people you surround yourself with. I think another thing that makes us proud is to see the other Australian Teams stepping up and running good numbers. That will only make the entire sport better in the long run and more exciting for the fans."

There is no doubt Oberhofer is gearing up for some record-setting performances for Hillary Will this Boxing Day at Western Sydney Dragway!

"Records are made to be broken so I believe that Scott Kalitta's record will probably be broken soon, maybe by Hillary if the conditions are right. It just shows how tough the competition has become down under."

As important as winning is for Jim Oberhofer and the world's fastest female in Hillary Will, there is a serious reason to the visit, with this USA Boxing Day event being held in memory of USA star Scott Kalitta, who was tragically killed in a racing incident this year in the USA.

Scott Kalitta won the first Boxing Day event here in 2005 and still holds the quickest ever one-off pass (4.517) and National Speed Records (Over 535kmh!).

Hillary Will and the Australian Top Fuel teams, will be racing for the Scott Kalitta Memorial Trophy as a result - and that means plenty to Jim Oberhofer and the entire Kalitta family.

What it's all about - Scott Kalitta - a man who will never be forgotten for his impact on Australian Drag Racing and the Boxing Day event in particular. (Pic: Grant Stephens - Cackling Pipes Photography).

"There are many reasons why our team wants to run well and win at Western Sydney Dragway. The main reason is that we want to bring the Scott Kalitta trophy back to the States and give it to the Kalitta Family. Scott had such a huge influence on myself, Hillary and our team and we want to make him and the rest of the Kalitta Family proud. Another reason that we would like to run well is that this may be the last time that Hillary, myself and our team will run together for awhile. We are still trying to secure sponsorship for 2009 but with the way the economy is around the world it is going to be tough."

So at this special event of world significance, its clear in the Crew Chief's mind that fans must simply attend this awesome event come December 26 & 27!

"There should be no thinking about coming out to WSID, you need to just go! For starters the Australian fans have a facility that they can be proud of. Another good reason is that you can come and see the quickest and fastest race cars on the planet, no other form of racing even comes close. It's like a rock concert on wheels. You can also interact with the drivers and teams, get autographs and pictures. You just have to be there!"

Do not miss Top Fuel this Boxing Day!

Attachments

• 1514.jpg
    1514.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 934
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back