Going to see the World of Outlaws... (1 Viewer)

Rich

Nitro Member
...this weekend. It'll be the first time I've ever seen an Outlaws race live and the first time they've been here since 2002. There are a couple of dirt tracks in the area, including Skagit Speedway which is about ten minutes from my home. It's not drag racing, but over the past three years I've enjoyed visiting the track to watch the Saturday night races at Skagit. Those 410 and 360 winged sprint cars put on a pretty good show.

Some of the drivers and crews are staying at the hotel a couple of blocks from where I live. They have the haulers parked on the street and during the day they take the cars out and work on them curbside. Kind of cool.

...this weekend. It'll be the first time I've ever seen an Outlaws race live and the first time they've been here since 2002. There are a couple of dirt tracks in the area, including Skagit Speedway which is about ten minutes from my home. It's not drag racing, but over the past three years I've enjoyed visiting the track to watch the Saturday night races at Skagit. Those 410 and 360 winged sprint cars put on a pretty good show.

Some of the drivers and crews are staying at the hotel a couple of blocks from where I live. They have the haulers parked on the street and during the day they take the cars out and work on them curbside. Kind of cool.
It's a cool gig, Rich. I lived in Knoxville, Iowa for 20 yrs..spent many a laps in a push truck..Nationals included. Man, I wish I had a good camera back then..would make great pics..pushing off Wolfgang, Kinser, Bobby Allen, Sammy, etc..hehe.

Enjoy the show.

That's one of the Advantages of going to the Fall Vegas NHRA race. The Outlaws are running the same weekend. The Finishline of the Strip is even with turns 1-2 of the Oval so those guys get a Fuel Nitro dose while the Bigboys are running.

That sounds pretty cool. Do they schedule the events so it's possible to see both the Outlaws and the drag races at Vegas? It would make for a long day, but it would be fun to do.

You will LOVE them. Man those things are impressive. My son & I went when Portland,Ore speedway was open & when we were leaving Sammy Swindell had a bunch of old tires at the rear of his transporter & my son (he was 12 @ the time) asked what he was gonna do with the tires & Sammy said he could have one. I told my son if he packed it to the truck he could keep it.(about a 1/4 mile hike) He did & it's still sitting in my shop.

I saw the 410's at New Egypt one year and at Williamsgrove(might be wrong). Those suckers are fast and things happen very quick! One second they are on all four tires the next...tumbling down the backstraight!

What a blast to watch!
Bob

You will LOVE them. Man those things are impressive. My son & I went when Portland,Ore speedway was open & when we were leaving Sammy Swindell had a bunch of old tires at the rear of his transporter & my son (he was 12 @ the time) asked what he was gonna do with the tires & Sammy said he could have one. I told my son if he packed it to the truck he could keep it.(about a 1/4 mile hike) He did & it's still sitting in my shop.
Nice story, Mike.

Sammy drove my all-time favorite looking car..the #1 TMC. Its a company out of Des Moines..you may have seen their rigs on the interstate..all black and lots of chrome..absolutely gorgeous.

Be sure and update us as to how it went, Rich!

Well we had a great time tonight and can't wait to go again tomorrow. There was a good crowd, which was especially nice to see given that there was a National Sprint Tour race scheduled for the same time at a track only 150 miles from here. Some thought having both races on the same dates would have an effect on the car counts but there were about forty 410's at the track tonight.

Donny Schatz won tonight's race. But Brooke Tatnell had a great run and came in second. Becca Anderson qualified second and was giving Schatz a run for his money for about the first 15 laps of the A Main. I thought it was very cool that fans were allowed in the pits following the race. My stepdaughter met several drivers and collected a bunch of autographs. She loved every minute of it.

On a sidenote, I was surprised to see the ISC folks at the race pushing the proposal to build a new NASCAR track here in Washington State. They had tables set up inside the track and canvasers getting petitions signed. The also had a very nice RV outside the gates with a "Race 2 Washington" paint scheme. I've got to say, though, that after spending some enjoyable nights at Skagit Speedway and Pacific Raceways this summmer, I'm beginning to get to the point where it really doesn't matter to me whether or not a new NASCAR track gets built. The location that was chosen for the proposed track was the first thing that put me off but reservations about the public subsidy soon followed. If the NASCAR track doesn't come to pass, I can certainly live with just having the drag races at Pacific Raceways and the dirt races at Skagit Speedway.

In any case, we had a great time. Those WoO cars and drivers are impressive.

Last edited:
Cool, Rich.

Schatz is on a roll..winning the Knoxville Nationals earlier in the month..and leading WoO points. He's a keeper.

Have fun tonight.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back