Gilbertson to skip NHRA Event in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON TO SKIP NHRA EVENT IN LAS VEGAS

Cites increasing costs and decrease in sales

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson has elected to skip the next race on the NHRA schedule, this weekend's Summitracing.com Nationals in Las Vegas.

Gilbertson, who is currently ninth in the NHRA POWERade points standings, regrets having to miss the race but was forced to make that decision due to budget restraints, availability of parts and the cost of having to travel to the west coast for a single event.

"This was the toughest decision I've ever had to make in my racing career," Gilbertson said. "There are a few factors that figured into the equation. First off the new diesel engine emissions law that was implemented January 1, 2007 has had a direct impact on our racing budget. Freightliner, the largest truck manufacturer in the world, is one of my company's biggest customers, we supply them with air tanks and they've seen their sales drop off 40% and they've laid off over 6,000 people so far and with that, the demand for air tanks has dropped like a rock. They don't expect sales to improve until the fourth quarter and look to increase production then and into 2008."

"Secondly availability of parts is an issue," Gilbertson added. "Essential parts such as cranks, rods and blocks are on back order due to the buying power of the multi-car teams. Last but not least is the huge expense of traveling 2,500 miles for just one race then have to travel back to the east coast for the next race at Atlanta. With the ever increasing cost of diesel fuel and lodging in Las Vegas the costs of getting the team out there would be outrageous."

"I regret having to do this as being in the top ten is a big deal to me and my team but it's decision I had to make. We will re-join the NHRA tour at Atlanta and I want to apologize to all my sponsors and fans who support this team and wanted to see us in Vegas but it's something I just had to do

This is just one of the downsides of Multi-Car Teams. :(
With the court ruling that says the EPA is in the drivers seat for setting policies is a scary proposition and could cause a lot of problems down the road!

Our largest Tow truck company here in NM (Malcolm services) got out of it for just that reason! The New Diesel fuel laws he predicted will Kill the 18 wheeler industry, once again the liberals and they're BS kill off businesses!:mad:

i know your pain been trucking for 17 years and the profit is hard to come by
now, we get a fuel surcharge but it doesn't make up the rise in cost.
the new trucks will not get the fuel mileage as the old ones.
it effects all the way to the average family

The new diesel fuel laws are something we will all have to live with.Along with that the new motors put in class 8 trucks will have to meet very strict emissions.I own a trucking company and know first hand what this costs.The only savings is that i can implement a fuel sur-charge to my shippers.For the race teams they do not have that option.The trucking industry will survive and hopefully some of us will prosper.The world needs the trucking industry,there is now way around it.I just wish a few things could change.

Can somebody please elaborate on what these new changes are to Diesel engines?

Thanks,
Joe Consumer

Todd, I heard that the EPA lowered the Maximum sulfer levels allowable in Diesel fuel emissions. Not sure if this is strictly changes in Engine Mnfg. per say or a change at the Pump? If that is incorrect someone please correct me.

Our largest Tow truck company here in NM (Malcolm services) got out of it for just that reason! The New Diesel fuel laws he predicted will Kill the 18 wheeler industry, once again the liberals and they're BS kill off businesses!:mad:

Right, it's the liberals fault. Some of you people are unbelievable.

Right, it's the liberals fault. Some of you people are unbelievable.

Damn right! They make these BS standards based on Junk science with absolutely NO consideration of impact on various industries and jobs! The people in this country survived previous emission standards just fine. And now in '07 people are supposedly dying from Diesel emissions? Yes it is the Environmentalist Wacko's fault!

If you were to buy a new class 8 truck today with either cat,cummins,or detroit diesel motors it will already have the new engine,you dont have to do anything out of the normal.Word on the street is that the new motors require more maintenance,get worse fuel mileage,and longevity of the engine is less.There is no law against running the older models,as long as its not belching out trails of black smoke.All diesel fuel will sooner or later be low supher or ultra low sulpher fuel.I own a fleet of trucks that run most states west of the Ohio to Florida line.The average age of my trucks is 2-3 y/o and i never had any problems.Keep them tuned up with a driver that has a light right foot(or set the computer so the driver cant go to fast) and you will get fuel economy and longer engine life.

The new emissions standards added approx. $10,000-$15,000 to the cost of a new truck using the 2007 engines. This due to the addition of exhaust filters and related equipment. Most engine manufacturers had to obsolete older engines and develope new engines to meet the standards. Many fleets moved up purchases from 2007 to early 2006 to assure that they could continue to run with the older engines. This could be one of the reasons for the sales drop off at Freightliner (and other truck manufacturers also).

I think the ultra-low-sulphur fuels are now mandated - even if you are running an older engine. That has added $0.20-0.30 per gallon to the price of diesel fuel this year - crude oil prices haven't changed much, but the price of diesel took a big jump at the start of the year. I know that Flying J here in Baytown is now selling only the ultra-low variety, while last year their pumps had warning stickers that it was low-sulphur fuel and should not be used in model-year 2007 vehicles.

Hey, if global warming is a problem, how come it's so damned cold down here this week?

I'm telling you these global warming lemmings are going to destroy the middle class and take us all over the cliff. Just ask those laid off Freightliner employees in Portland. And as Bob demonstrates here it's a domino effect. Next thing you know he'll be parking it.

I'm telling you these global warming lemmings are going to destroy the middle class and take us all over the cliff. Just ask those laid off Freightliner employees in Portland. And as Bob demonstrates here it's a domino effect. Next thing you know he'll be parking it.

I think this may evolve into a topic that belongs in the lounge, but you are correct (IMHO). I doubt China or India have to abide by the same rules. I am pro environment, but this GW stuff is more politics than science. If some of us don't like the way NHRA controls most of drag racing, just let the UN control our economy.

By taking this action I am assuming the Autolite deal isn't all that lucrative.

Well, as has been discussed before, many of the pros are largely self-funded, and I expect Bob's deal is one of them. I don't pretend to know how much his Autolite deal is worth, but I'll bet we would all be surprised. This move on Gilby's part is understandable, but also raises another question that I've asked before: Why does the tour start in Pomona, go to Phoenix, then all the way to FL, and back across the country to Vegas? Imagine the $$$ saved by everyone if Pomona, Phoenix and Vegas were all completed before the tour headed east. Am I missing the reason it's not scheduled that way?

Nunzio, I have always said that. It would be alot cheaper for teams to have one big city to city tour I think. But thats why alot of them have shops in Indy now so its not so bad.

Well, as has been discussed before, many of the pros are largely self-funded, and I expect Bob's deal is one of them. I don't pretend to know how much his Autolite deal is worth, but I'll bet we would all be surprised. This move on Gilby's part is understandable, but also raises another question that I've asked before: Why does the tour start in Pomona, go to Phoenix, then all the way to FL, and back across the country to Vegas? Imagine the $$$ saved by everyone if Pomona, Phoenix and Vegas were all completed before the tour headed east. Am I missing the reason it's not scheduled that way?

Nunzio if the NHRA schedule followed that format as you suggest, the attendance would suffer Hardcore! Besides Gainesville has ALWAYS been the middle of March since the early 70's. But I certainly don't blame Gilby for sitting out this one, remember last year all those Pro stock teams who elected to sit out the Western swing? Same difference...

From what I understand, the Autolite deal is about as much as an average Executive earns per year. More than likely, the paint and stickers ate 80% of the money!

Gilby is a good guy, and I wish he and his company luck!

Justin

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back