George Carlin has passed away (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Comedian George Carlin dies in Los Angeles at 71

Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court

Comedian George Carlin dies in Los Angeles at 71 - Yahoo! News

One of the all time great comedian minds

i love listening to Carlin....just listening to 10 minutes of his stuff and you realize what a genius he really was...not just as a comedian, just in general

RIP George

I can't believe this. George Carlin meant so much to me on so many levels. He made you laugh but he made you think. This man was simply brilliant. I was lucky enough to go to a couple of his shows over the years and they were great. Knowing George Carlin is gone totally destroys me. I looked to this man's wisdom for guidence, I now feel lost. First Scott and now Carlin, I don't believe it. Somebody please wake me because this has to be a nightmare.

Dave

Living in Vegas, I have been fortunate to see Carlin a few times. I have read a few of his books and while you are laughing you are always thinking. George put "NIMBY" into our lexicon ... even politicos use the term now.

He will be missed.

I'm partial to the baseball/football routine. I just saw George in Februrary. Brilliant mind...

George was the BEST. I always loved the bit about the cats...and he did one about his first heart attach...RIP George.

I loved Georges Ry humor and I almost joined him with a heart attack when he aired his HBO special about the seven words you can't say on Television or on the Mater for that matter.
OH God I truly rolled on the floor laughing crying , howling in gales.
I now have to get me some copies of his best stuff to remember him by.
At least we will still have him on tape for the next hundred years.
Soo long George you gave us all so great laughs and left your mark on American Culture.

My Favorite Carlin bit is the one about people and sex, North pole vs South Pole!

My favorite was the bit about the seven words you couldn't say (on TV? or just in general--can't remember). I remember hiding that album--'Class Clown' and listening to it very quietly. That would have been a trip to the wood shed in my family if my parents heard what we were listening to.
He was so entertaining. His reference to religion was just so funny, and I was raised catholic.
There was a rerun of his appearance on the 'Actors Studio' tonight with James Lipton. He spoke so well of his experiences growing up. He was quite a character, that is for sure.

My favorite was the bit about the seven words you couldn't say (on TV? or just in general--can't remember). I remember hiding that album--'Class Clown' and listening to it very quietly. That would have been a trip to the wood shed in my family if my parents heard what we were listening to.
He was so entertaining. His reference to religion was just so funny, and I was raised catholic.
There was a rerun of his appearance on the 'Actors Studio' tonight with James Lipton. He spoke so well of his experiences growing up. He was quite a character, that is for sure.

If you type George Carlin in youtube's search engine, you'll find just about every topic he's ever covered.

My older brother (by 8 years) had George's album "Class Clown", the one with "The 7 words you can't say on TV". One time when I was about 10, I put the album on the stereo out of curiousity. The bit came on with the 7 words and I remember I couldn't shut it off fast enough as my dad was sitting there reading the paper.

RIP George. Thanks for the memories.

I have a George Carlin calendar on my desk, one that has something different for each day...today was a classic Carlin bit..

In your own words. Next time they tell you to say something in your own words, say, "Nigflot blorny quando floon."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back