Gainesville approaches - questions from a noob (1 Viewer)

NitroMustang65

Nitro Member
OK so I have these fantastic tickets for the Gators coming up, for eliminations only. I see that the gates open at 730am, and pre-race cermonies start at 10am. Is 2.5hrs enough time to see all there is to see in the pits, plus get autographs/pics taken with several drivers? Is there a code of conduct I should be aware of? I see the shots of drivers giving autographs and having their pictures taken with fans, and there are a whole TON of fans who look like they're waiting "in line" (and I use the term "line" loosely - it sure doesn't look like much of a line to me!). I'm very excited about going, and have this coming weekend at Fun Ford Weekend in Orlando and the following weekend in Bradenton for the NMRA as an appetizer for the Gators! :cool:

Ok, first off, congrats on breaking your Nitro Cherry!
2.5 hours is nowhere near enough time, especially on eliminations day. You're gonna have to work like one of Santa's elves to get everyone you want to meet, and most drivers don't even get to the track until about an hour before eliminations. Get em as soon as they get there, b/c some drivers will leave the track lickety split when the lose on Sunday.
The code of conduct is sorta moot. Sometimes there's a line, sometimes just a mob that you just wait til others get their autograph, pics, etc, then work your way up. Pushing and shoving is NOT advised. Be patient. Oh, and remember to say thank you (my mom wanted me to write that).
One last thing, when they warm up the fuelers, stand as close to the headers as you can and breathe deeply. Please have someone take a movie or pic of this, especially when they hit the loud pedal. Watching a newbie experience that is priceless.
Above all, have fun and if at all possible, try to get tix for Fri and Sat, so you can get autos and pix you first day or 2, then enjoy Sunday.

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the info. This actually won't be my first experience next to a car running on Nitro, only my first experience at a major NHRA event. Way back in 1990 or so, I stood about 6' away from Michael Brotherton's T/F car in the pits at Gateway International Raceway before it was overhauled and added to the NHRA circuit. Anyone remember him? Any way, the thing was idling, up on blocks and I thought it was so cool how the tires were spinning with the engine just idling. The CC gives us all a motion to "cover your ears", and holy crap am I glad I did! He blipped the throttle and I thought my chest was gonna explode! The smell of Nitro and burning rubber are indescribable. I spent nearly that whole event about 20 yards or so from the water box and had bits of rubber of my glasses when I got home that night :)

I was told my first year there to get there by 7 AM on Sunday, or you'll MIss 1st Round! I never tried to test that theory though.

'Noise..............Can't remember which year, it was in the 90's, but they closed ALL gates at 9:45am because there was no room left to park. No problem with that these days if you are unlucky enough to be directed to the "south 40". It is best to get there prior to the gates opening for the simple fact that the better (closer) parking spots to your specific gate are still available. Wait a minute......is that Thunder in the Distance I hear????????? Must be time for Gainesville!!!!!! See you there, Joe.

Late...................Mitch

go find an independent team, usually towards ends of pro pits;
less crowds, stand close & get nitro fix, then back up, wipe eyes,
blow nose, then wander into middle of pro pits and stand back, can
usually get between two or more teams running simaltaneously.
Nitro in stereo and the people watching is good.
pay attention to wind direction.

'Noise..............Can't remember which year, it was in the 90's, but they closed ALL gates at 9:45am because there was no room left to park. No problem with that these days if you are unlucky enough to be directed to the "south 40". It is best to get there prior to the gates opening for the simple fact that the better (closer) parking spots to your specific gate are still available. Wait a minute......is that Thunder in the Distance I hear????????? Must be time for Gainesville!!!!!! See you there, Joe.

Late...................Mitch

Mitch I've never had a problem because I get there Early, and remember Dragsterman Mike Merring, he came to G-ville back in '04. Sunday I didn't see him till after 2nd round. He left his Motel to late and got buried in the Traffic coming from the South and Missed the Entire First round!

the traffic situation at g'ville sucks leave early or you will not get parked and in the gates in a reasonable amount of time

I only go to one NHRA nat’l event a year, but Gainesville is it and I’ve been going for twenty years now. Here are a few little tidbits I’ve gleaned over the years.

Get there EARLY—we like to arrive at the track no later than 7:00. Not much will be happening then but that’s okay—you just avoided the Mother Of All Traffic Jams. We normally cook some sausage and eggs on the mini-stove and read the newspaper. This also leaves some time to purchase loot and roam the pits.

During the race, if you like to get the full “blast effect” by standing at the track-side fence, go over to the Spectator side of the track. I’m pretty sure the fence is actually closer to the track on that side and the crowd is not quite as large as it is on the Pit side.

Check the weather forecast carefully before you go—that part of Florida can be a mixed bag in March. I’ve gotten sunburned a few times but also dang near froze one year because I didn’t think to bring a jacket. Plus, the Gatornationals and the “R word” have been closely associated in the past, so have the proper gear ready. Knock on wood…

If you drink water during the day, either bring it in with you or buy it. The water that comes out of the water fountains at Gainesville Raceway is some of the nastiest, foulest-smelling stuff there is.

Don’t be in a huge hurry to leave right after the final round because the MOATJ, Part II will be under way. One thing that usually happens after the final round (I don’t know if other places do this or not) is that you can walk the track and take pictures—a lot of people like to do that. Plus, you can roam the pits with a much smaller crowd. It’s true—as one of the earlier posters mentioned—that many of the teams are long gone, but some will still be there and the atmosphere is a lot less hectic. In the past, a lot of the teams have stayed to test on the Monday after the race.

When you get back to your car, break out the grill and cook some sausages and have a beer. By the time the coals are ready, the sausages get cooked, and you finish eating them, the MOATJ II will be cleared out and you can leave at a normal pace.

One last thing—if you get a chance check out the Don Garlits Museum in Ocala. It’s right off of I-75 and is pretty awesome.

Hope this was helpful. My first post—woohooo!

Last year, this is what we (my dad and I) did:

Thursday we left bright and early at 5:30AM (we live nearly 5 1/2 hrs from G-ville) and before we went to the track we went to the Don Garlits Museum. Maybe we just got lucky, but the man himself was there and we took a picture and had him sign our museum tickets.

At the track, Thrusday we like to watch super stock and also walk around the pits and get autographs and take pictures.

For the rest of the weekend, we are glued to the seats for Comp, Super Stock, Pro Mod, Alky and the pros. Then we usually walk around the pits.

On Sunday, the traffic was pretty good, maybe it's because we left nice and early.

Don’t be in a huge hurry to leave right after the final round because the MOATJ, Part II will be under way. One thing that usually happens after the final round (I don’t know if other places do this or not) is that you can walk the track and take pictures—a lot of people like to do that. Plus, you can roam the pits with a much smaller crowd.

Excellent point; I have never been to Gainesville; however, I would offer the same recommendation based on most of the tracks that I have been to. It is far easier getting out of the parking lot if you wait at least an hour before leaving. You can easily kill an hour or more by checking out the awards ceremony, walking the track, and getting a few pictures and autographs in the pits.

I only go to one NHRA nat’l event a year, but Gainesville is it and I’ve been going for twenty years now.

One last thing—if you get a chance check out the Don Garlits Museum in Ocala. It’s right off of I-75 and is pretty awesome.

Chris,

Welcome aboard and GREAT 1st post! Stick around and enjoy the banter.

I appreciate you adding your slant on things in regards to when to get to the track. I have been going to Gainesville for about 16 years now, and for the last 5-10 have only gone on Fridays. I plan to go Sat/Sun this year and am glad to know that things are pretty ugly traffic-wise unless you get there real early so I plan to do just that. Will probably leave Orlando on Sat. morning around 5:00am based on what I'm hearing from most of you. Still may not be early enough, but dang, I don't do well on lack of sleep and how is sleep possible the night before an event like this? I've not had problems getting to or into the track on Friday's even arriving as late as 10:00am, but I know Saturdays and Sundays are the big days for attendance, but Fridays aren't slow either!

I suspect that a Mater Meeting is going to get planned soon, and Joe Sherwood just might be the guy to pester about that. ;) Looks like it is about time to get that rolling, although we've got 3 weeks to iron those things out. Hope I can make a meeting this year.
:(

I only go to one NHRA nat’l event a year, but Gainesville is it and I’ve been going for twenty years now. Here are a few little tidbits I’ve gleaned over the years.

Get there EARLY—we like to arrive at the track no later than 7:00. Not much will be happening then but that’s okay—you just avoided the Mother Of All Traffic Jams. We normally cook some sausage and eggs on the mini-stove and read the newspaper. This also leaves some time to purchase loot and roam the pits.

During the race, if you like to get the full “blast effect” by standing at the track-side fence, go over to the Spectator side of the track. I’m pretty sure the fence is actually closer to the track on that side and the crowd is not quite as large as it is on the Pit side.

Check the weather forecast carefully before you go—that part of Florida can be a mixed bag in March. I’ve gotten sunburned a few times but also dang near froze one year because I didn’t think to bring a jacket. Plus, the Gatornationals and the “R word” have been closely associated in the past, so have the proper gear ready. Knock on wood…

If you drink water during the day, either bring it in with you or buy it. The water that comes out of the water fountains at Gainesville Raceway is some of the nastiest, foulest-smelling stuff there is.

Don’t be in a huge hurry to leave right after the final round because the MOATJ, Part II will be under way. One thing that usually happens after the final round (I don’t know if other places do this or not) is that you can walk the track and take pictures—a lot of people like to do that. Plus, you can roam the pits with a much smaller crowd. It’s true—as one of the earlier posters mentioned—that many of the teams are long gone, but some will still be there and the atmosphere is a lot less hectic. In the past, a lot of the teams have stayed to test on the Monday after the race.

When you get back to your car, break out the grill and cook some sausages and have a beer. By the time the coals are ready, the sausages get cooked, and you finish eating them, the MOATJ II will be cleared out and you can leave at a normal pace.

Great first post Chris. You are pretty much spot on. I hit ever Gator race from 1973 through 1995...from 1975 until 1990 was there Thursday thru Sunday....and Mondays too,,,,,when there was a Sunday rainout or two. 91 to 95 just there on Saturdays and Sundays.

Get there early..avoid traffic at all cost...was our motto..Heck I remember long a$$ lines filing into the parking lot when first round (TF, FC, PS) was almost over.

Make sure you eat at Sonny's BBQ.

Oh, speaking of Gainseville, how is that Japanese restaurant that's located next to the motel 6?

I know there was a Japanese restaurant on the main drag, close to the Super 8 we stayed at when my buddy and I went to Gville in `99. We went there after Fri. qualifying and the place was packed. Had to sit in the bar to eat, but got to talk with Bazemore and Etchells who were sitting next to us. Pretty good saki and sushi if I remember correctly.
Oh yeah, pretty good topless club right next door too!

I have been going to Gainesville for the last 14 years and may have some tips for you. We stay at the Traveler's campground which is about 30 min. away. we get there on Thursday and stay for TNT on Monday. We try to get to the track by 5:30 to 6:00 Friday thru Sunday. I believe the parking lot opens at 6 We usually get pretty close to the side gates. I usually have about 20 to 30 cars to be signed so I'm used to the pit crowds. If your at the ropes its usually who can fight their way through he crowds but at the driver's souviner trailor there is a line that is formed. I like fighting my way up to the ropes, I seem to have better luck there. Be sure to stick around after eliminations. The fans can go to the winner's circle. Last year my husband won the powerade chugging contest and got 2 VIP passes to winner's circle. I actually got some pics taken with Capps and he gave me his hat and signed it for me. It is worth staying for. Hope you enjoy your 1st Gatornationals and be sure to come to the mater meeting.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back