Gaines Markley passes (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Well we've lost another one from the early days of the sport. I remember seeing Gaines Markley's name in ND quite often as I was growing up. RIP Mr.Markley

I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't know Gaines but being from the northwest, I was around him some and talked to him a couple of times. He came across as a very nice guy and down to earth. He was also a very good driver and tuner as we all know, winning (I believe) the 1977 NHRA Top Fuel Championship with Rob Bruins at the wheel. RIP to one of the west's best talent.

Last edited:
Rich, Markley and Bruins won the T/F World Championship in `79, without winning a single National Event. I never actually saw Bruins drive that particular rail but I saw him drive the Green Elephant F/C.
Gaines was definitely a big name here in the Northwest. Sad to hear of his pasing.

I almost don't want to log onto the internet anymore. I can't believe we've lost another one. I am very sorry to hear about this, my best to his family and friends.

Dave

BTW, anybody know what Robbie Bruins is doing these days?

We raced against and with Markley and Bruins throughout the 70's.Gaines was a real nice guy and Bruins was one of the nicest people you'll meet. Truly sad news to hear the passing of a racer you grew up with. R.I.P.Gaines Markley

My condolences to Gaines' family and friends.

If this keeps up, the Mater will have to start an obituary section. :(

Sad news, indeed. I grew up watching him run. He had some great cars in the 70s. The black "Assasin" was one of my favorites at the time.

I think Rob Bruins is still in the Bremerton, WA area. He used to work in the Navy shipyard there. I'm not sure if he still does. He sure was an excellent driver in a lot of different rides.

Gaines Markley was the crew chief for Earl Whiting for a long time in the 80s. That was the last time I heard about him. RIP, Gaines. Thanks for the memories.

I stand corrected. I knew it wasn't 78 but didn't think it was as late as 79. Last I heard of Rob he was racing a comp eliminator car in Div. 6 but even that was years ago now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back