Points leader Coughlin primed for race day run in Atlanta (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]ATLANTA (April 18) -- Back-to-back and reigning Pro Stock world champion Jeg Coughlin Jr. slotted his JEGS.com Chevrolet Cobalt in the lofty fifth position heading into Sunday's eliminations at Atlanta Dragway. Coughlin's best elapsed time of 6.578 seconds at a top speed of 210.01 mph got the job done.

"We finally got the car to go straight for four runs in a row so we're real happy," Coughlin said. "Now we can start to lean on the tune-up a little bit more and get aggressive. We were fifth quickest of today's first session and fourth quickest of the second round and both times we were two hundredths off the lead so that's a real manageable position.

"We've put a lot of work in on this car in the last few weeks and it's paying off. Now we need to get set for a big race day and try to get another victory for Victor Cagnazzi and everyone in this organization."

Coughlin has two wins and one runner-up finish in five starts this year. He currently leads second-place Jason Line by 10 points, or half a round of action. Both men are well clear of third place.

When eliminations start Coughlin will face veteran Vieri Gaines, who qualified 12th with a best of 6.617 at 207.88 mph. Coughlin and Gaines have raced 16 times with Coughlin holding a 12-4 mark. Gaines has just one elimination-round win this year.

"The records are out the window when the engines fire up and you pull to the starting line," Coughlin said. "The nature of Pro Stock has always been that anyone who is capable of qualifying is certainly capable of winning the race.

"We've had some great race day luck this year and I'm a believer in the fact you make your own luck in racing. Hopefully, our hot streak will continue here. I know I've got a great crew behind me and my father, Jeg Sr., is here with us this weekend so that always helps. We're ready to go."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back