funny car tire video (1 Viewer)

what is the white markings on the tire for? In this video it is the trapazoid shape between the "Goodyear" and "Eagle" logo on the tire. Also what is the significance of the white band around the edge of the tire. Are these markings made by the mfg at the tire plant or put on at the track by the tire mounters to indicate the heaviest part of the tire?

I have been puzzled by this for years.

Those are put there by the Car's crew to aid in determining what's happing to the tires from videos taken by crewmembers. They use slo-mo back in the pits to see how things are working. They can see things like how fast the tire is spinning in relation to how fast the car is moving, if the shoulder is folding under (I.E. the white line around the edge disappears.) things like that.

Mike
The teams mark the tires with white paint in a trapazoid shape so that when the film the launch they can see tire spin and slipage. Dave

Kevin Knowles did the same thing from a little further forward on an alcohol funny-car and the thing shook the tires. Absolutely awesome video. I don't know how to make the thing into a file that can be viewed with a normal computer though.

If you guys like these videos. Let me know I have alot of incar videos from all forms of racing. I would be happy to post some of them on here from time to time. Glad you found the incar from the cockpit of a nitro funny car. I also have others on youtube.I am glad you like them:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back