**fontana dragway done for a while? (1 Viewer)

mark- you're so three minutes ago... :D

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/29892-another-so-cal-drag-strip-closed.html

Check today's posts bro...

Nope, not as a thread headline. Unfortunately, Fontana was refereneced earlier as you've mentioned in the thread body about Irwindale. Which most folks won't pick up on because it's an old thread ready to be donated the the Goodwill (Goodwill Industries is a wonderful charitable organization that takes donations of old clothes to benefit the less fortunate.). ;):)

Last edited:
****BREAKING NEW REPORT ON THE CLOSING OF THE NHRA SANCTIONED DRAG STRIP AT AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY, LOCATED IN FONTANA, CALIFORNIA FROM THE PROMIENT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA NEWS REPORTING AGENCY "THE INLAND VALLEY DAILY BULLETIN", AT WEB-LINK:

So far, it's been a drag for racing fans - DailyBulletin.com

****SPECIAL ADDED BONUS-ARTICLE WEB-LINKED ABOVE HAS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE CURRENT STATUS OF IRWINDALE************************

;):(

Last edited:
The Mike Closkey guy left out Inyo Kern, Rialto, Norton, and Carlsbad.

and San Diego's Qualcom Stadium Street Legals is being de-funded.

As soon as an out of control, street racing 5.0 Mustang takes out a bus load of nuns on their way to midnight mass, the outrage and police crackdowns will begin - along with the TV crocodile tears from the victim families on the 5:00 PM News with the bold headline "Drag racers kill religious leader"

At one time, wasn't this something that the NHRA addressed and solved...

and san diego's qualcom stadium street legals is being de-funded.

As soon as an out of control, street racing 5.0 mustang takes out a bus load of nuns on their way to midnight mass, the outrage and police crackdowns will begin - along with the tv crocodile tears from the victim families on the 5:00 pm news with the bold headline "drag racers kill religious leader"

at one time, wasn't this something that the nhra addressed and solved...

ding, ding, ding!!! Winning question

Really sad part of this for racers is that sound was not an issue when the drag strip was first built on the south side of the property. NASCAR wanted it moved and thus the issues started.

I can see the track from my house about 9 miles north. Glad I sold my stuff when I did...

Where is the owner of the race track Roger Penske. I can't believe there is a noise problem in this area, isn't this a zoned industrial area and how far is the residents away from track. You would think if they had a noise problem there would be complaints about the speedway as well. Hell there is always cars testing or the Richard Petty cars running at Kansas Speedway and there are residents less than a mile away and there has not been any complaints in the ten years it has been there. Sounds like more than a noise issue!

I promise to change my insurance to the Auto Club and stop bad mouthing Tom and Co. if they get this thing fixed......seriously.

Roger Penske has not owned the track for years. It is owned by the corporation that the France family (NASCAR) owns.

"isn't this a zoned industrial area and how far is the residents away from track. You would think if they had a noise problem there would be complaints about the speedway as well."

Closest "home" is 640' from the starting line of the drag strip. Placed between said "home" and starting line are 6 (SIX!) active railroad tracks. Distance from "home" to first RR track is 439'.

Next door to said "home" is a Peterbilt filled trucking company.

You do the math...

Closest "home" is 640' from the starting line of the drag strip. Placed between said "home" and starting line are 6 (SIX!) active railroad tracks. Distance from "home" to first RR track is 439'.

Next door to said "home" is a Peterbilt filled trucking company.

You do the math...

There are a few homes close to the strip, but most are over 2,000 feet from the starting line area. Consider that in this highly industrial area there are scrap yards, salvage yards, busy freight terminals, railroad yards, truck repair shops, a steel mill, and an international airport. And it’s all nicely nestled between the 210, 15, and 10 freeways – all major 24-7 high traffic freeways (for those unfamiliar with the area). The rail yards have diesel locomotives often idling for hours on end, and the Metrolink passenger trains pass through frequently and sound the whistle at nearby crossings. Additionally the strip is about 15 feet below the grade of the railroad making for somewhat of a natural sound barrier. So with all due respect to anyone living there, closing the drag strip is not going to change this area into a paradise by any stretch of the imagination.

What it is going to do is change my towing time from 1 hour to 3-1/2 hours to Famoso. :mad: There are now *ZERO* quarter mile drag strips from about 100 miles north of LA, south to the Mexican border :mad::mad:

On a sorta related note, the March Meet alone brings $5-6 million into Bakersfield's local economy. While Fontana doesn't draw that kind of spectators, the large races like the SPORTSnationals bring in a lot of cars, and the facility could host big races that would bring in a lot of spectators. But apparently Fontana doesn't want that money.

Last edited:
There are a few homes close to the strip, but most are over 2,000 feet from the starting line area. Consider that in this highly industrial area there are scrap yards, salvage yards, busy freight terminals, railroad yards, truck repair shops, a steel mill, and an international airport. And it’s all nicely nestled between the 210, 15, and 10 freeways – all major 24-7 high traffic freeways (for those unfamiliar with the area). The rail yards have diesel locomotives often idling for hours on end, and the Metrolink passenger trains pass through frequently and sound the whistle at nearby crossings. Additionally the strip is about 15 feet below the grade of the railroad making for somewhat of a natural sound barrier. So with all due respect to anyone living there, closing the drag strip is not going to change this area into a paradise by any stretch of the imagination.

What it is going to do is change my towing time from 1 hour to 3-1/2 hours to Famoso. :mad: There are now *ZERO* quarter mile mile drag strips between about 100 miles north of LA to the Mexican border :mad::mad:

On a sorta related note, the March Meet alone brings $5-6 million into Bakersfield's local economy. While Fontana doesn't draw that kind of spectators, the large races like the SPORTSnationals bring in a lot of cars, and the facility could host big races that would bring in a lot of spectators. But apparently Fontana doesn't want that money.

It sounds like you participate at this track, is there anyone fighting this decision. With all these things going in area around the track you wouldn't think noise would be an issue. This thing really smells and it sounds like more is going on that hasn't been told. :(

This is California. If it's fun, they try to ban it. If they can't, they try to tax it.

Tell the politicians that illegal aliens go to this track and if it's closed that will make it a racism issue. That will keep it open. Politicians don't want to be labeled as racist. :D

This is California. The rules here are different for the other 49 states.

Unfortunately, I think it's only a matter of time before Pomona is closed.

It sounds like you participate at this track, is there anyone fighting this decision. With all these things going in area around the track you wouldn't think noise would be an issue. This thing really smells and it sounds like more is going on that hasn't been told. :(

The track management was (I'm sure still is) fighting it and had recently released a statement that court proceedings were going in the strip's favor. Then suddenly out of nowhere came this statement: Auto Club Dragway Statement

I cannot verify, but suspect, that the strip's opponents found a judge sympathetic to their cause because county officials are on the strip's side and want to keep it operating. The other thing that smells fishy about this is that this "concerned residents group" somehow came up with an (estimated) $1.5 million or so to do an Environmental Impact Report. In a community where the majority of the homes are valued at 30% below the state average, that's not even plausible. I suspect there's a special interest in the closet somewhere, and CA's superior courts cater to special interests.

What I have not been able to find out is: where is NHRA's help? :confused:

Last edited:
The track management was (I'm sure still is) fighting it and had recently released a statement that court proceedings were going in the strip's favor. Then suddenly out of nowhere came this statement: Auto Club Dragway Statement

I cannot verify, but suspect, that the strip's opponents found a judge sympathetic to their cause because county officials are on the strip's side and want to keep it operating. The other thing that smells fishy about this is that this "concerned residents group" somehow came up with an (estimated) $1.5 million or so to do an Environmental Impact Report. In a community where the majority of the homes are valued at 30% below the state average, that's not even plausible. I suspect there's a special interest in the closet somewhere, and CA's superior courts cater to special interests.

What I have not been able to find out is: where is NHRA's help? :confused:

They had been trying to close KCIR for years and the city council pulled a midnight vote and sold property before anyone had a chance contest it, now its gone and I fear there won't be another one. I sure hope they find a solution to this problem.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back