FLO and NHRA (1 Viewer)

brought 3 newbies. were there on saturday only from 11am till end of pro semis.
- a 59 year old that said he'd been to a dragstrip earlier in life, but i'm not so sure he even had.
- a 47 year old who was only at dragstrip once before, with me @ BIR in 2010 for sunday only (bode win)
- a 21 year old young woman, daughter of the 47 year old. never been to a drag strip in her life.
- they all loved it. young gal was blown away. as of now, they all said 'lets do this again next year'
- we drove from orlando, took 2 lane hwy's and came to track on hwy 64 from the east. turned rite in. no wait. parked tower side. perfect.
- we bought e-tickets on drive over. walked up to lady who scanned us, and rite into track. no wait. perfect.
- ran into a few folks i knew there. one was planned, and one was old acquaintance in sportsman pits not planned. was great to bump into him.
- place was packed. got cold beers on tower side (no wait), went to pro side, watched really great band playing while waiting for PS to start.
- listened to a couple nitro motors fire off in pits, it was hot, more cold beer, the line was a little long, but it moved well.
- went to tower side and found seats in second bleachers. watched E2 of sportsman classes. was great
- E1 TF and FC were great. got to see reaction from 21 year old. she was filming every run. i really don't think she could believe what she was seeing, hearing, feeling.
- TF/FC matchups were great. great because i think it was red line? who gave the $10k to win their chicago style deal? (chad green) ..... and great because it's just more testing for them.
- back to pro side. had to buy VP racing fuels tshirt and thank them for their support and involvment with this race
- italian sausage subs were awesome.
- back to tower side on the fence rite off starting line for FC's, then top end for TF'rs, had jumbo tron tv deal rite next to us on top end, so easy to watch replays.
- left soon after, and luckily had daylight traveling home until I-4 south of orlando which was jammed up as usual. home at 10pm. perfect.
This is how you grow a sport! Bring some newbie’s have a great time & maybe sacrifice something you may not like (I-4). You grow a sport by telling a person by its advantages, not by bitching about about what you don’t like. The I-4 comment was for the person after your post Mike. Positivity is like sunshine & goes a long way. Difference between the two, is positivity can be viewed even when it’s a cloudy day. Hope everyone had a great day that continues in the future. Here’s to a great & safe 2024 race year!😊

Joe, you dont think Joe Costello isnt knowledgeable?
Bobby Fazio,Lee Craft Amanda Busick,Bruno Massel, they actually speak to those of us that know the difference between a plate stop or in-line stop. I like to see Amanda ride with Dixon and get her perspective on the ride. Those above are yo the point,,,no fluff.

There is too many red writers on here, it's freaking me out, man.

I think Joe does a fine job with his sportsman reports from the pits.

And I like it when Alan let's Lohnes in the tower on Thursday and Friday
morning to announce the sportsman classes.

Love or hate Joe or Brian, they truly love the sport of drag racing!
There is too many red writers on here, it's freaking me out, man.

I think Joe does a fine job with his sportsman reports from the pits.

And I like it when Alan let's Lohnes in the tower on Thursday and Friday
morning to announce the sportsman classes.

Love or hate Joe or Brian, they truly love the sport of drag racing!
Joe and Brian are both great, sadly both are under orders from clueless directors who feel it is more important for the audience to hear yelling instead of natural announcing buried under car audio

so there are obviously some thoughts out there on the internet regarding the nuts and bolts of the race......from wes buck on his own show, to richard freeman on power hour,
to joe and alan on wfo, and others i'm missing ......... listening to everything said before and after the race, IMO everyone involved with the race put on the event they wanted to.
from choice of 6 classes, to top heavy winner money for the 3 pro classes, to the Q format, to the february date. ...... the one that stuck in my mind was how somebody/s noticed
the WSOPM race, and wondered if that could be duplicated with nitro and ps cars. ...... nhra now has a wealthy nascar/motorsports legend involved, now even driving in a pro
class; you know, that guy who was part of 'one of the biggest announcements in nhra history' ..... well, IMO that guy is wondering, along with others in our sport, if there is more
money out there to race for, if so, how to do it, provide additional thrill for the fans, and possibly move our sport to another level. you sure can't hate on that.

Last edited:
Joe Hollas, Joe Costello is speaking to the average fan who doesnt know all the ins and outs and probably would like to. You guys really dont need a announcer

Take the cameras to the pits, plenty going on
Recap and discuss, now is the time, not over car noise
Let the announcers talk
Do interviews
Talk history (Jack rocked @ this)
Anything but the clown
I didn't see one crew chief interview at Bradenton although I did not watch every minute. They had cameras in some of the pits but no sound and no interviews that I saw.

I'm not ready to buy this "whole lotta track glue at Bradenton" theory as to the reason Tasca ran 341. If that were true, why was no one else particularly close to Tasca's speed? As Alan Reinhart has said in his related posts, these tires need a small amount of wheel spin to do what they do. They are never 100% "hooked up" as some might think. Too much glue causing the tires to completely stick isn't the answer. And to those who saw people walk right out of their shoes while walking on the track, this is a common occurrence. Anyone who has been to the California Hot Rod Reunion at Bakersfield, knows they invite all the fans out on to the tracks after the Cacklefest to see the cars. I have done that quite a few times. That track is as sticky as it gets and yes it is very easy to walk right out of your shoes at Bakersfield. It is far stickier than you could imagine. So I don't believe Bradenton had any different track prep than any NHRA National event. I think Tasca's guys hit on a combination that allowed that BIG speed.

We will probably all forget Tasca's achievement in a short period of time anyway. After all, can anyone remember who had the first 330 mph run? Or the first 320? I can't (without looking it up).
Idk what the track metered at Bradenton, but i can tell you that national event prep isnt the the tightest, highest traction prep. Most radial events meter higher. A nitro car could still deliver enough torque to get the desired slippage. It would be a lot harder on the tire. A nitro car can tear up a new slick pretty good on national event prep. Id hate to see more with an even higher trap speed. This was a brand new D2747 after one pass and it only trapped 318 on national event prep. We've all see worse too. Imagine what it would look like on a radial prepped track. Idk anyone willing to try it.

Attachments

• 20211102_124132.jpg
    20211102_124132.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20211102_124130.jpg
    20211102_124130.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back