First time attendee (1 Viewer)

brucepts

Nitro Member
I'm not a regular poster here on the Mater but do follow it almost daily/weekly and enjoy reading all the "skinny" on what's going on at the races.

I usually only make one race a year and that would be Maple Grove (close to home) but do watch it on ESPN2 when the races are on. But, the reason for my post is . . . my wife has been watching the races for the past few months with me on TV and I talked her into going to her first race tomorrow at Maple Grove. We will only be going on Friday though.

I thought it would be nice to let those who think drag racing is not attracting new people to the sport that it still is, I can't wait to see the look on my wife's face (actually wish you all could see it too) the first time she sees one of the Nitro cars go down the track!!! She has never even been to a drag race, I think she'll be hooked after Friday!!

had 'newbie' @ BIR - on the ropes @ hillary's both days.
blew him away..........still blows me away:cool:

Make sure you get her front row on one of the kalitta warm ups!

I'll second that suggestion!

I took my 75 year old father to NHRA pro testing at Firebird earlier this year. He's been to the races many times over the years with me, but never when the nitro cars were running. I got him his own set of over-the-head ear plugs, took him to Scott Kalitta's pit and waited till they were ready to warm up his funny car. "Dad, let's get right up here on the ropes", about 10-15 feet away from the engine. He thought that it was very impressive when they started it up, but little did he know what was coming, lol.. Once Scott had her warmed up, I could see the crew preparing for the ol' "clutch seating", I motion to dad to put his hands over his ears.

What happened next was simply priceless... Scott whacked the throttle and I watched my dad jump off his feet and come down with the biggest grin I've ever seen on his face. He could not believe how that "funny car" could shake the ground like it did.

I think he was hooked at that instant. Every time I think of that smile on his face, I get goosebumps!

a fronr row at a warm up is a must, of course pay attention to the wind that way you know where to place the newbie for a nitro wiff. Of course where you place them depends on how evil you are and how much trouble you want to get in. Being the wife I'd make sure to stay upwind. have fun

I'll second that suggestion!

I took my 75 year old father to NHRA pro testing at Firebird earlier this year. He's been to the races many times over the years with me, but never when the nitro cars were running. I got him his own set of over-the-head ear plugs, took him to Scott Kalitta's pit and waited till they were ready to warm up his funny car. "Dad, let's get right up here on the ropes", about 10-15 feet away from the engine. He thought that it was very impressive when they started it up, but little did he know what was coming, lol.. Once Scott had her warmed up, I could see the crew preparing for the ol' "clutch seating", I motion to dad to put his hands over his ears.

What happened next was simply priceless... Scott whacked the throttle and I watched my dad jump off his feet and come down with the biggest grin I've ever seen on his face. He could not believe how that "funny car" could shake the ground like it did.

I think he was hooked at that instant. Every time I think of that smile on his face, I get goosebumps!

I have to say that pro testing at firebird was one of the highlights of my racing life. It is really cool the way you can just mix with all of the race teams

Bruce, first of all - welcome to one of the most respected websites in the world pertaining to drag racing. Secondly.... just go man... go for the day. Get there early, bring some money to blow, wear earplugs and maybe bring along a Sharpie.....and plan to stay late. It truly is a traveling circus...And I don't care what car it is or who the driver is... when you find yourself at "that moment".... in the pits when you get your first whiff of Nitromethane during a warm-up; or maybe you'll be in the grandstand, after the 1st nitro car roars down the "thousand island"...... just take a millisecond to pause and think, "how cool is this?". Afterall, instead of this, You could be at work. You could be in a Doctors office; You could be in jail, or stuck in traffic.... but no.... for that moment, you're enjoying and part-taking in a truly amazing event. I hope the weather is awesome for you, and I hope - and infact guarantee...you'll get blown away..... and I hope you decide to go Saturday, too! By the way.... tell your wife to breathe through her nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I love taking first timers to the races. They all hear me talk about it but until they get a chance to see it in person they never really know. I make it a point to watch their faces when the first pair go down the track. I have a solid 9 or 10 people that I brought to their first race begging to go back to ANY track, not just my local track.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. Truly nothing else like it.

its always good to see new people coming to the races, one cuz of "the look" when the nitro cars go past their faces and the second because the more people we can get loving our sport the better. So all you new comers, you gotta check it out!!

Bruce:

Gotta tell you, that the coolest thing about bringing a "VIRGIN" to an NHRA event is the look on their face when the 1st pair of nitro cars goes down the track. It's EPIC!!!

I'd also recommend attending a "NITRO" warm up, and yes the Kalitta cars would be a good choice. I'd actually do Hillary Will's warm up for two reasons.

1) The "Ober" Brothers always have the driver "SEAT THE CLUTCH" the old fashioned way..WAMP the throttle while holding the brake. Many teams now are choosing to Seat it without the infamous "WACK" of the throttle. That MAKES the warm-up worth while.
2) Since this is a lady your bringing, it's cool to see a young lady, with the physical size of Hillary, powering a 7,000 HP Monster! When she get's out of the car, and she see's that Hillary is the size of your standard US OLYMPICS GYMNIST, that'll impress her. But, before you go, make sure she get's her autograph and gets a chance to talk to her! She is very well spoken and will become a Fan of your lady for life!

If Possible, I'd also try to sit in two different places for both Nitro sessions. Sit towards the starting line in session 1, then close to the finish line in the 2nd session. This really gives a "Virgin" the true Perspective of the Speed of these cars. If your sitting in the stands during a sportsman catagory eliminations, (like super comp/Gas) point out the drivers turning their heads trying to see where the other car is, while your at the finish line. It's kinda cool to see them looking behind their shoulder saying to them selves, "I GOT EM, I GOT EM....Whoops..Maybe not.!":cool:

Also, make sure to bring ear protection, plenty of sunscreen and water, and a Hat. Stop by and get Fast Jack's autograph, (tell him Timmah say's hi), as well as getting a chance for her to see the DRAW that Ashley Force's pit will have. Give her a chance to "SIT" in the Fram Top Fuel Dragster display car and take a picture in it, that's always cool! Oh, and one more thing.... HAVE FUN!

Timmah!

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!! I'll "try" and get her around a warm-up!

My Father (88) and I have been going to the Grove since I was a kid and you could sit by the fence on a Wednesday evening for the match races. I had taken a few years off from going but have gotten back into it in the past few years. Looks like showers are looming today though, but we'll make the trek anyways!

I remember taking a friend of mine and his wife who had never been to a drag race in Denver back in '04. We we're standing by Force's car during the Warm up, and since I go to so many I've gotten many of these teams warm-up routines down pat! And the Force cars just do the one Hit deal, and when Force hit it she naturally jumped! After he shut off she goes..."I JUST PEED MY PANTS!!!! That was classic!:D;):eek:

This makes me think of two things:

My first time at the track at Pacific Raceways in 2004. I was interviewing Capps. He asked me if I'd seen any of the cars go down the track. I said, 'Not yet.' He directed me to go stand by the starting line. Evil genius. Good thing PR Ted caught me before I did that and handed me a set of ear plugs. :D

About a month ago, my best friend's mom was visiting, we had planned to go the track so he asked her if she wanted to come with us rather than go out to dinner. I guess she worked concessions at her hometown track when she was a teenager but had never actually watched the cars do their thing or wander through the pits.

Oh, I so loved watching her watch the cars go down the strip! Heh.

The best part, though, was we were wandering around the pits between first and second round. We ended up near the Pedregon pits. T-Ped was warming up and we were about 50 feet away. Fired it up, all is well, then that sudden loud explosion of sound and my best friend's mom jumped about 10 feet in the air. Next thing I know she's trying to hide behind me (I'm a mere 5 foot 6 but she's about 5-3) and asked me to protect her from whatever it was that made that noise. OMG. I was laughing so hard. My brother in law was with us, too, he's 6 foot 5. She really should have hid behind him. :p

Kris, great story. My sister and Brother and law who have never attended any kind of motorsports met me in Houston for a friday like 3-4 years ago. She called me on her cell just as Top Fuel was starting up and asked me to meet her at Will call! Will Call in Houston is maybe 100' from the starting line! So just as TJ Zizzo and whoever he was running agains't was backing up from their burnouts I'm waiting for her to get her tix. Sure enough as they throw the cars on the high-side, they take off and my sister jumps like a scalded Dog! I hadn't laughed like that in Years!:D:D

Joe, we should feel terrible for laughing so hard but it's just priceless to see people freak out at the unexpected power of nitro.

My buddy Mike and I have been friends since we were 11 (we're both 30 now ... well, I'm almost 30) so his mom is like a second mom. But man that was funny. I almost warned her that T Ped was gonna wack the throttle but I'm a little sadistic.

At least I can say that she got the full experience. Ha! :D

Well she is not longer a "Nitro Virgin"! And she confirms it's way different at the track than on TV. Now to put all this into perspective my wife is 51 and has never been into anything mechanical her whole life let alone any type of racing venue.

We sat mid track about where the burn-outs stopped and she enjoyed it and is hooked on Nitro! Actually she is hooked on it all not just the Nitro cars. (humm hey dear can we buy a dragcar?) We did not get to see any warmups (I was afraid she'd "soil" her panties) and we are not autograph types so it was just interesting for her to see what goes on in the pits. She even recognized some of the crew and drivers.

She especially enjoyed watching the drivers and crew walk the track? Go figure? I come from a tractor pulling background and explained it was the same thing we do with the dirt, trying to read the track.

We're already thinking of next year and making a camping weekend of it with the motorhome even though we only live 10 miles away!

Well she is not longer a "Nitro Virgin"! And she confirms it's way different at the track than on TV. Now to put all this into perspective my wife is 51 and has never been into anything mechanical her whole life let alone any type of racing venue.

We sat mid track about where the burn-outs stopped and she enjoyed it and is hooked on Nitro! Actually she is hooked on it all not just the Nitro cars. (humm hey dear can we buy a dragcar?) We did not get to see any warmups (I was afraid she'd "soil" her panties) and we are not autograph types so it was just interesting for her to see what goes on in the pits. She even recognized some of the crew and drivers.

She especially enjoyed watching the drivers and crew walk the track? Go figure? I come from a tractor pulling background and explained it was the same thing we do with the dirt, trying to read the track.

We're already thinking of next year and making a camping weekend of it with the motorhome even though we only live 10 miles away!

Hey Bruce:

Glad she enjoyed the event. Actually to be honest, one of my favorite parts of the sport is the "walking the track". It is amazing how many subtle grooves, dips, transitions and bald spots can change the set up of these cars. It's a shame she did not get a chance to get the warm up, but I'm sure that will come at future events!

My mother has a very simular story. In all the years my dad and I have raced she Never went to any of our races. What got her to the track was Jack Beckman. She read up on his story, and because I knew him from the drag racing school, she decided to go to the Vegas 2 race with my Dad and I last year. SHE WAS HOOKED! She did the warm up, (of course Jack's car), sat down and talked with him, and when the 1st pair of cars went down the track...The smile on her face was Priceless!!! Now, Mom listens to the Audiocast, goes onto Drag Race Central to get instant results, and daily goes over to Competitionplus.com to check up on all the great stories over there, and to read my blog daily!:eek:

Glad you guys had a good time at the races! Another fan is a good thing!

timmah!

Bruce, glad you two had a good time at the track! Just getting the day in after all the weather predictions is good enough, considering it rains at Maple grove quite often. Your wife does need at least one good Nitro dose in the Pits, it may the last time you get her in there, but at least she can say she got baptized!;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back