feel good story (1 Viewer)

bottom end

Nitro Member
I went to Dallas this weekend to help crew on Mel Bushs pro mod car.
Unfortunately the race car trailer caught fire en route to Dallas and completely destoyed the contents including the race car.

We were dead in the water until Mel got a call from Barklage family racing. They have a pro mod operation that was sitting idle due to budget restraints and they immediately stepped up and offered their operation to Mel to use for the weekend, only asking in return for fuel costs for the semi.
Mel said "I hardly even know these guys".

So with a moments notice, they loaded the trailer and headed to Dallas.

12 hours later they arrived at 2am Friday morning, tired and weary from the trip we pulled the car out, set up the pit area and put the motor in the car.
We worked from 2am to 7am to prepare the car for qualifying later that morning. Going on basically no sleep, we were able to make three qualifying passes on Friday.

Unfortunately Saturdays race was rained out and we never got a chance to run again. They'll finish up during the first race next season.

It really makes me feel good knowing there are still good people out there like the Barklage family, they stepped up and showed the true spirit of drag racers and deserve some recognition for it. You don't meet people like this every day...

I went to Dallas this weekend to help crew on Mel Bushs pro mod car.
Unfortunately the race car trailer caught fire en route to Dallas and completely destoyed the contents including the race car.

We were dead in the water until Mel got a call from Barklage family racing. They have a pro mod operation that was sitting idle due to budget restraints and they immediately stepped up and offered their operation to Mel to use for the weekend, only asking in return for fuel costs for the semi.
Mel said "I hardly even know these guys".

So with a moments notice, they loaded the trailer and headed to Dallas.

12 hours later they arrived at 2am Friday morning, tired and weary from the trip we pulled the car out, set up the pit area and put the motor in the car.
We worked from 2am to 7am to prepare the car for qualifying later that morning. Going on basically no sleep, we were able to make three qualifying passes on Friday.

Unfortunately Saturdays race was rained out and we never got a chance to run again. They'll finish up during the first race next season.

It really makes me feel good knowing there are still good people out there like the Barklage family, they stepped up and showed the true spirit of drag racers and deserve some recognition for it. You don't meet people like this every day...
I got the pic's you sent me. That was a sad deal Mike. The way racers stick together makes drag racing such a cool sport. I'm in Vegas. I will cya Wed night.

I read that story on Competition Plus and it is indeed a great story. It's awesome that the Barklage family stepped up like that and they'll be blessed for it.

Mike did they find the cause of the trailer fire ? Inquiring minds would like to avoid the same thing happening to them.
There's been several fires lately a couple were battery's !

I disconnect when in transit but that doesn't stop something from falling over and shorting one out.
I also bought plastic caps for the batteries so they are not exposed !

One was battery on portable Generator ! That last was my nieces in their garage and burnt up race car and half the house.
Cat must have knocked over a metal rod and sparks ignited something.
It's great to hear about the racing community helping each other out when the chips are down or the need arises !

We should have a fire prevention sticky !

The last I heard they were blaming the golf cart battery for starting the fire.
It resembled a piece of charcoal when I looked at it.

Yes! Disconnect and cap your batteries when not in use, or cover your positive post with a rubber boot if you need to keep it hooked up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back