Erica Enders (1 Viewer)

Pro Stock has a choice to make, and I do believe time is running out (5 years tops) to make a decision on which way this category goes. Let's face it, Pro Stock has been around since the 60s/70s. It's an old product. If it is to survive, it needs to advance, but not price itself out of existence (already happening).
Car Manufacturers are refining their offer to the public each year (technology, functionality, fuel efficiency etc). Sponsors look at relevance, ROI, marketability, and a whole swag of other factors. Does the category go Turbo? Does it push for market relevance (EFI, foreign manufacturers) etc.

I see the appeal of Nostalgia racing, even Nostalgia Pro Stock - it's an affordable option in an increasingly expensive sport, and has a lot of emotion attached to it (a throwback to the good old days). It's a good 'ying' to the 'yang' of the Big Show.

NHRA prioritizes what sells in their market - Nitro. Take nitro out of the equation, and the spectator numbers at a National event are much, much lower. Blame the spectator. They like what they like.

In motorsport, dollars drive performance (unlike stick and ball sports, where the average joe needs very little equipment to get started). When the ROI is less than the cost of going racing, sponsors will ask 'what's the point?' This has been happening for years.

So far the Elite Team is struggling first two rounds, hope they get it worked out tomorrow.

Just read Erica was having bad tire shake in both qualifying attempts, wonder if new tires are an issue.

That sounds about right. Getting the right set up is hard enough during the season, but I would think for some teams it's very trying during the first few races.

Pro stock has always been a playground for the wealthier among us. There are new faces this year, some old one's are gone. I don't see it going anywhere soon. And they have a following.

I just wish my pal Johnny Gray would have dug in his couch cushion at home for some lose change and sponsored my TA/FC for a few years before I quit. Heck, his couch probably cost more than I make in a year. LOL

From reading qualifying notes most teams are experiencing tire shake, some severe, it will be interesting race if they can't get new tire worked out.

Randy did you get rid of all of your equipment?

Truck, trailer, car, engines, etc., are gone. I kept all the specialty tools, testing equipment, fuel system including injector, fuel pump and flow meter, etc. You never know when some of that might come in handy.

I live 30 minutes from Pomona and went to a car show today at Fuddrucker's in Lakewood instead. Staying away is like trying to keep the booze and needles away from an addict.

30 minutes away and you didn't go? You're a stronger man than me. Were they holding "Drag Racers Anonymous" meetings at the car show? :D

Pro Stock has a choice to make, and I do believe time is running out (5 years tops) to make a decision on which way this category goes. Let's face it, Pro Stock has been around since the 60s/70s. It's an old product. If it is to survive, it needs to advance, but not price itself out of existence (already happening).
Car Manufacturers are refining their offer to the public each year (technology, functionality, fuel efficiency etc). Sponsors look at relevance, ROI, marketability, and a whole swag of other factors. Does the category go Turbo? Does it push for market relevance (EFI, foreign manufacturers) etc.

I see the appeal of Nostalgia racing, even Nostalgia Pro Stock - it's an affordable option in an increasingly expensive sport, and has a lot of emotion attached to it (a throwback to the good old days). It's a good 'ying' to the 'yang' of the Big Show.

NHRA prioritizes what sells in their market - Nitro. Take nitro out of the equation, and the spectator numbers at a National event are much, much lower. Blame the spectator. They like what they like.

In motorsport, dollars drive performance (unlike stick and ball sports, where the average joe needs very little equipment to get started). When the ROI is less than the cost of going racing, sponsors will ask 'what's the point?' This has been happening for years.

Honestly, to an extent, I think it's already too late. The manufacturers have already spoken. The Factory Showdown class is what Chevy, Dodge, & Ford are primarily interested in. Why? Well the reasons are fairly obvious, those cars race with current technology that is found in cars and trucks that are being sold in dealerships across the nation. The current form of Pro Stock has no relevance in today's automotive world outside of nostalgia. A lawn mower doesn't even have a carburetor anymore. The only way to save Pro Stock and make it relevant again is to make changes, unfortunately anytime changes are made it costs money. Furthermore, if you're going to make changes what do you put in place? Power adders are already in Pro Mod, but sadly that class has received little to no love from NHRA. Would racers and fans be more accepting of smaller engines like say 400 ci with a true EFI setup? Do you keep the current chassis? Do you allow imports like say Toyota? No matter the proposal the fact remains most, if not all, of the current teams will probably reject whatever changes are suggested because they're trying to protect their investment which was made via the NHRA rulebook. What kind of message does it send to manufactures, sponsors, and even fans when the sanctioning body has essentially thrown up their hands and walked away from even trying. NHRA focuses on nitro racing because it's all they believe they have left.

Pro Mod will end up taking over for Pro Stock.....body styles can be old or new, supercharged vs nitrous, more cubes and more drama, and the larger wings on them helps keep them from turning turtle.....

It's hard to be considered the "top" of your field (gasoline burning doorslamers) when Pro Mod offers so much more

I don't think NHRA could afford to lose Pro Stock, a lot of money spent with suppliers that sponsor there events, Jegs, Summit and much more. NHRA might better wake up though, IHRA is really shaking things up. It will be interesting to see how the attendance and racers show up for there events this year.

Pro Mod will end up taking over for Pro Stock.....body styles can be old or new, supercharged vs nitrous, more cubes and more drama, and the larger wings on them helps keep them from turning turtle.....

It's hard to be considered the "top" of your field (gasoline burning doorslamers) when Pro Mod offers so much more

Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose interest in Pro Mod because the bodies used are entering the Batmobile area that we used to criticize about Funny Car.

Is this the same Pro Mod that NHRA told drivers and owners to find their own funding a few years ago or else they're off the schedule? What happens when there's nobody left willing to foot the bill? Clearly Mello Yello isn't interested.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose interest in Pro Mod because the bodies used are entering the Batmobile area that we used to criticize about Funny Car.

Is this the same Pro Mod that NHRA told drivers and owners to find their own funding a few years ago or else they're off the schedule? What happens when there's nobody left willing to foot the bill? Clearly Mello Yello isn't interested.

Bingo......

I've lost count of how many people talk about how much more popular Pro Mod is than Pro Stock and how that switch will undoubtedly "put more people in the stands". I'm at Indy every year, which is obviously the biggest race of the year, and there's not a significant amount more spectators in the crowd than when Pro Stock runs. Ever....

Participation numbers would indicate the possible need for some sort of overhaul of the class. Then again, you could make that argument across the board for most all of the classes because participation is down as a whole. But I do think Pro Stock has lost it's identity to some degree. Hell, the factories themselves, through their actions, have basically said they're no longer interested. And without their support, the class is further driven to where only the filthy rich can participate, and it's basically already there.

Sean D

True at a national event you find more nitro snobs. They clear out of the stands when the last nitro car goes down. I don't mind as it gives us "real" fans more room.

If you want a better test of which is more popular ask yourself if a local show is coming to town which are you more likely to go see or which will have fuller stands. 8 pro stock cars or 8 pro mod cars?
I think Pro mod wins that battle by a land slide

I agree with your local show comparison, PJ. And you're right, as long as there are cars on the grounds that run pop, there will be no "fix" for Pro Stock. Whether you replace the class with Pro Mod, or overhaul the rules, the stands will empty.

At that point it just comes down to the sanctioning body's desire for overall existence and health of the class. If it doesn't matter, then keep it as it is and it will continue to lay stagnant, barely filling the fields throughout the influx of rich boys and girls that will continue to come and go. If it does matter, then I think one has to take a hard look at the overall vision and be prepared to make some hard decisions if the need arises. Everybody cries about the cost of change, but it's a fact of life, so everybody just needs to get over it. If the class and/or sport was flourishing, then that would be one thing. But it's not. So saddle up, get a plan put into place to deal with changes that are decided upon, along with an economical exit plan for the current format, and roll.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back