Erica Enders entering Pro Mod. (2 Viewers)

Only if Elite comes up with $35,000 dollars to line NHRA's pocket. All of a sudden being champ does not allow you to skip grade points so they need to pay the fee. IIRC Big Chief ran an event with no grade points, NHRA sets the rules as they feel not what is written.

Alan????? clarify this for me please.

IIRC Big Chief ran an event with no grade points, NHRA sets the rules as they feel not what is written.

You recall incorrectly! To run Pro Mod at a national event you only need 1 grade point (a competition license), which Big Chief had. As Kevin Fiscus stated in an interview, “I know he has a NHRA license because I actually signed off on his single license passes which were made at Texas Motorplex prior to the American Outlaws Live event where we both competed earlier this year.”

yes you are correct, so why does Erica have to "donate" $35,000 dollars to get to participate? the rules say a Champion can run in Pro Mod yet she is being denied.

This is Erica's statement

"We did this under the impression we would be able to race because I'm a former pro world champion – as the rulebook states. You don't have to have the grade points.

"We were informed this past week while we were down in Bradenton that we were going to have to sponsor a race at a fee of $35,000 to be able to compete in Pro Mod. Our plans are contingent on that."

rules only apply when NHRA wants

So take the car to Pomona for the WinterNats, enter the car in Comp Eliminator (where she would definitely not need grade points), make a qualifying hit and run first round. That should give her the grade point she needs ... right? If not, the first regional of the year is just a few weeks later in Phoenix (weekend after Phoenix National, week before first Pro Mod race at GatorNats).

I agree it is kinda ridiculous to make one of your most visible drivers and popular recent champions play this game. The only reason I can think of is because Pro Mod is not an "official" NHRA class, and the rules are put up by RPM who funds the class and maybe they have the grade point requirement.

EDIT: I would also be curious how that 35K is split up since Pro Mod is a pay to play class. How much goes to the prize fund for the Pro Mod drivers and/or RPM, and how much goes to NHRA?

Last edited:
She has the "points" according to the rules NHRA said you NEED $35000 to sponsor a race to be able to run. Did Big Chief sponsor the US Nationals? Who else has been made to sponsor a race to be allowed to drive? Why can't she just show up and race like others do, I doubt every driver out there has been made to sponsor a race so they could drive.

I am basing my opinion on this statement made by Erica

"We built this car and have every intention of running it in the 12 NHRA Pro Mod races and competing for a world championship," Enders said. "We did this under the impression we would be able to race because I'm a former pro world champion – as the rulebook states. You don't have to have the grade points.

"We were informed this past week while we were down in Bradenton that we were going to have to sponsor a race at a fee of $35,000 to be able to compete in Pro Mod. Our plans are contingent on that."

Maybe similar: F1 racing champion Fernando Alonso came to Indianapolis last year and needed to complete the rookie test. Enders is a Pro Stock Champion. Some sort of NHRA testing and certification should be all that's needed. But, looks like she just needs to get a point before Gainesville.

It looks like she will be making her Pro Mod debut at the SpringNationals in Baytown on 4/20-4/22. She and 29 other Prod Mods on the entry list so far.

They debuted the car early March Mid-West Pro Mod season opened at the Texas Motorplex. Qualified 9th 1st round loss. Erica was there but didn't drive. Great looking car.

20180303_103959.jpg 20180303_103318.jpg 20180303_104328.jpg 20180303_103624.jpg 20180303_135615.jpg 20180303_135709.jpg 20180303_145823.jpg

Only if Elite comes up with $35,000 dollars to line NHRA's pocket. All of a sudden being champ does not allow you to skip grade points so they need to pay the fee. IIRC Big Chief ran an event with no grade points, NHRA sets the rules as they feel not what is written.

Ken,
I don't know the details of the agreement between the association and NHRA, I also don't know the details of the agreement between the partners of the RPM (Real Pro Mod) association. My first thought would be that there is a difference between someone like Big Chief or Lizzy Musi coming in to run a race or two and someone running for the championship. And as has been stated, Big Chief did have the grade point requirement.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back