Epping NH (1 Viewer)

cat

Nitro Member
Does anybody here know, if any NHRA Top Fuelers are heading to NED?
It is a non conflicting weekend.

With NHRA testing rules I would think a full time NHRA team showing up would be slim and none.

Not happening. Fuelers that are there:

Bruce Litton
Bobby Lagana Jr.
Dom Lagana
Del Cox
Mitch King
Terry McMillen
Tim Boychuk

yep, thats only 7

Followed by 13 Pro Stock and 2 IHRA regular Pro Mods

sickening

Followed by 13 Pro Stock and 2 IHRA regular Pro Mods

sickening

Sad. ADRL is just eating IHRAs lunch.
While only 13 PSs are at Rockingham, that includes the Goforths, Gahm, Patrick...
And there are at least 33 PMs on the grounds at Dragstock.

Here's hoping that Bruton Smith decides to do something at Loudon!

Sad. ADRL is just eating IHRAs lunch.
While only 13 PSs are at Rockingham, that includes the Goforths, Gahm, Patrick...
And there are at least 33 PMs on the grounds at Dragstock.

Here's hoping that Bruton Smith decides to do something at Loudon!

68 Pro Mods in ROckingham if you add the Nitrous and blower cars together.

I'll be honest with you, compared to 2-3 years ago, if this is the IHRA now its like a modified major event at most tracks. This is an embarassment for IHRA and Polburn should be ashamed of what he turned IHRA into!

68 Pro Mods in ROckingham if you add the Nitrous and blower cars together.

I'll be honest with you, compared to 2-3 years ago, if this is the IHRA now its like a modified major event at most tracks. This is an embarassment for IHRA and Polburn should be ashamed of what he turned IHRA into!

Well, I was one of the fools that drove up to Epping today and enjoyed the rain. Not that it makes much of a difference, but there were actually 9 fuel cars there, 3 of them belonging to Mitch King (King, Cox, August).
They are going to set the field by points since they do not have fuel qualifying on Fridays at Epping.

I admit the whole scene looked pretty sad. I am going to use my ticket tomorrow... curious to see if the crowd is even sparser than usual for eliminations.

I'll be heading to the track today but got to tell ya the excitement level ain't what it should be.

This will be the first time in 12 yrs, that I will miss. I'm sorry, but I can't justify the time and expense for what amounts to a second rate, at best, show.
The testing the NHRA regulars did last week was more entertaining. A very low PRO car count, a less than stellar field and no "Night of Fire" does not bode well for this event. This is truly sad,:mad:

No doubt the IHRA has seen better times, but I don't think Epping usually draws particularly strong fields, especially in Top Fuel. I don't know why they always seem to schedule it on top of the NHRA Divisional Race at Englishtown - a different weekend would certainly increase sportsman car counts. Despite it all, I wish I was there today, great track and eight Pro Mods(19 including the NE Outlaws), 13 Pro Stocks, TS and TD and 8 Top Fuel cars are well worth the price of an admission ticket. Heck I paid to watch a Quick 16 show locally last night and enjoyed the heck out it.:D

I have very fond memories of Epping in the mid 70's

32 Funny Cars - for the Funny Car Nationals

All lined up on the track before the race.

All stated up at once.

32 Funny Cars belching Nitro fumes at the same time.

It was Magic.

No doubt the IHRA has seen better times, but I don't think Epping usually draws particularly strong fields, especially in Top Fuel. I don't know why they always seem to schedule it on top of the NHRA Divisional Race at Englishtown - a different weekend would certainly increase sportsman car counts. Despite it all, I wish I was there today, great track and eight Pro Mods(19 including the NE Outlaws), 13 Pro Stocks, TS and TD and 8 Top Fuel cars are well worth the price of an admission ticket. Heck I paid to watch a Quick 16 show locally last night and enjoyed the heck out it.:D

Aaron,

You are a great fan, who enjoys watching all the classes, I am a lousy specator and has to find something to do at the races to keep busy.

The NHRA scheduled the Englishtown point's meet to butt heads with the Epping's National to take racers away from that event. When I ran an alcohol funny car, I was pissed as Englishtown and Epping are very close to my home and I had to decide which race to go to, instead of do both. I when to Epping, Manzo and Newberry were at ETown!
I when to Epping today and it's sad to see a great event, turn into a 8 car Top Fuel match race. The crowd was better than usual for Sunday but how many will return next year, will be intersting to see, as talk of a booked-in show does not sound great. It will be just a match race and till no funny cars!
I know the IHRA management did not want to drop the funny cars but without a series sponsor and little backing on the current program by the "Circus" makes it very hard to keep the deal running. Hopefully, the "Circus" will sell off the IHRA and a new company with a better understanding of drag racing and it's fans base can reestablish the IHRA to it's former self.

Paul Weiss

The IHRA race wasn't as much a disappointment as I initially thought it would be but it was much smaller then in the past, you'd think the ticket price ($40.00) for Sunday could have reflected that. Hopefully the Dragway made out OK but losing Saturday night had to hurt. That's 2 years in a row. Spent the day up at the Top End and this makes watching the Top Sportsman and Top Dragster classes even more fun! Pro Comp racers put on a good show with a very close final round.

How to fix the IHRA? Well if your not going to offer the Pro Mod racers enough to pull them away from the ADRL then drop the class. Replace it with Alky FC's and Alky Dragsters. Lure the Top Fuel Harley guy's back. I guess real leadership is what's needed, not an easy thing to find in this day and age.

The IHRA race wasn't as much a disappointment as I initially thought it would be but it was much smaller then in the past, you'd think the ticket price ($40.00) for Sunday could have reflected that. Hopefully the Dragway made out OK but losing Saturday night had to hurt. That's 2 years in a row. Spent the day up at the Top End and this makes watching the Top Sportsman and Top Dragster classes even more fun! Pro Comp racers put on a good show with a very close final round.

How to fix the IHRA? Well if your not going to offer the Pro Mod racers enough to pull them away from the ADRL then drop the class. Replace it with Alky FC's and Alky Dragsters. Lure the Top Fuel Harley guy's back. I guess real leadership is what's needed, not an easy thing to find in this day and age.

I agree James, eliminations was pretty good, what little there was of it. IHRA should do a total makeover, starting with dropping Pro Mod and possibly Pro Stock and adding back NFC, TAFC or TAD, Nitro Harleys and maybe Pro Comp like you mentioned.

TF
NFC or Nitro Harley
TAFC or TAD or both
Pro Comp (unique to them)
Top Sportsman (better than PS)
Top Dragster

Revamp the payout structure for a couple of years and consider thhem rebuilding years...work on your sponsorship package and possibly copy ADRL and give away free tickets.

I think it will set them apart again...

Give me the job, I'll do it....lol

James, usually I don't miss you. We were at the finishline all day too, must have missed you.

Last edited:
TF
NFC or Nitro Harley
TAFC or TAD or both
Pro Comp (unique to them)
Top Sportsman (better than PS)
Top Dragster

That sounds like a real improvement. I thought the the addition of Pro Comp was great this year. Seeing Arnie Karp out there tuning the Orientals' slingshot and blown alcohol altered was great. Manageable budgets, a variety of combinations, and I bet they could attract 16-car fields if it was a staple of the tour. Unless IHRA can make the numbers work for Pro Stock I agree that it is expendable and the Pro Mod field that everyone knew was a two-man race (Hoover and Lang) was an embarrassment.
Me and my sons spent some time Sunday at the finish line... probably walked right by you.

I have very fond memories of Epping in the mid 70's

32 Funny Cars - for the Funny Car Nationals

All lined up on the track before the race.

All stated up at once.

32 Funny Cars belching Nitro fumes at the same time.

It was Magic.

those were the days my friend.....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back