Englishtown (1 Viewer)

You wanna puke more, take a look at all the tracks that have closed, and what they did with 'em. Lots of them just abandoned, weeds everywhere. Just saw a video of the old Speedworld on U Tube. Made me depressed. I really loved that track.

You wanna puke more, take a look at all the tracks that have closed, and what they did with 'em. Lots of them just abandoned, weeds everywhere. Just saw a video of the old Speedworld on U Tube. Made me depressed. I really loved that track.
Ditto, Speedworld had a great “feel” to it.

Here's another one, 75-80 drag strip. I raced my drag quad there, Made it to the final round in that class and Red Lit!

Okay here's the deal on what went down at E'town. On a week-to-week basis drag racing wasn't paying the bills and along with NHRA offering the Napps a shitty deal to re-new the Summernationals they decided to convert the drag strip into a drift track that was showing a profit. About the same time IAA needed a place to park their cars since the state closed their location in Carteret. It took some time to pave the parking lot and get state approval but finally they got the permission to start parking cars on the property. The closing of the drag strip had nothing to do with the noise but internal family squabbles did. The quote I heard was: "There's too many Napps who wanted to cash out" and they decided to take a sure thing with the 5M a year from IAA to pay off all the kids, cousins, ex-wives and others who wanted to bail out.

Let's face it, and don't get me wrong, I love the sport and have been involved in it for 47 years (Including 20 years at E'town) but the sport of drag racing is in a slow and steady decline. E'town (and a whole lot of other tracks) have less & less weekly racers that they did years ago. If a drag strip owner feels it's no longer feasibly possible to turn a profit it's their right to cut their losses and shut down, example: Bill Bader.

With COVID-19 thrown in the mix and restrictions on mass gatherings I believe that this is going to be a make it or break it year for the NHRA, I just hope that the two races at Indy go well and nobody contracts the virus.

Okay here's the deal on what went down at E'town. On a week-to-week basis drag racing wasn't paying the bills and along with NHRA offering the Napps a shitty deal to re-new the Summernationals they decided to convert the drag strip into a drift track that was showing a profit. About the same time IAA needed a place to park their cars since the state closed their location in Carteret. It took some time to pave the parking lot and get state approval but finally they got the permission to start parking cars on the property. The closing of the drag strip had nothing to do with the noise but internal family squabbles did. The quote I heard was: "There's too many Napps who wanted to cash out" and they decided to take a sure thing with the 5M a year from IAA to pay off all the kids, cousins, ex-wives and others who wanted to bail out.

Let's face it, and don't get me wrong, I love the sport and have been involved in it for 47 years (Including 20 years at E'town) but the sport of drag racing is in a slow and steady decline. E'town (and a whole lot of other tracks) have less & less weekly racers that they did years ago. If a drag strip owner feels it's no longer feasibly possible to turn a profit it's their right to cut their losses and shut down, example: Bill Bader.

With COVID-19 thrown in the mix and restrictions on mass gatherings I believe that this is going to be a make it or break it year for the NHRA, I just hope that the two races at Indy go well and nobody contracts the virus.
Bob Doerrer very well said and I could not agree with you more.

Jim Hill

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back