Ed "The Ace" McCulloch 1987-88 (1 Viewer)

NONE

Nitro Member
Photos taken at Atlanta Dragway. First photo from the pits is 1987. Next two photos are from 1988. "Ace" is running against Billy Meyers.

MEMORIES.

ACE.jpg

ACE2.jpg

ACE3.jpg

Here's a couple of photos from 1989 or 1990 I believe. In the first photo, "Ace" is running against Mark Oswald. The second photo shows him running against an unknown funny car. LOL

MEMORIES.

ACE4.jpg

ACE5.jpg

The Gold Miller cars were my absolute favorite funny cars of all time!

Man, Wayne, you have an awesome archive of photos, brother! Keep 'em comin'!

Sean D

Here's a couple of photos from 1989 or 1990 I believe. In the first photo, "Ace" is running against Mark Oswald. The second photo shows him running against an unknown funny car. LOL

MEMORIES.

ACE4.jpg

ACE5.jpg

I'm going to say 89. Because Oswald would later run the Probe body.

Thanks for sharing all these great photos Wayne.

Michael

I'm going to say 89. Because Oswald would later run the Probe body.

Thanks for sharing all these great photos Wayne.

Michael

By looking at the car numbers I am going to say 1988. The Probe body came out at the end of 88 and Oswald ran the Probe body the whole season in 1989.

I have to ask...what's up with the nearly six foot high wall on the far lane? It looks to me that the view from that side of the track (opposite from where these photos were taken) was restricted to, at best, the roof (or rear wing) of the car in the near lane. Was it really like that?

I have to ask...what's up with the nearly six foot high wall on the far lane? It looks to me that the view from that side of the track (opposite from where these photos were taken) was restricted to, at best, the roof (or rear wing) of the car in the near lane. Was it really like that?

Hey Richard,

Yes it was. A friend and a poster on here (Robin) from the UK use to go over to the states and take photos on the start line, I remember him telling me at Atlanta you were basically looking down on the cars.

Michael

Sweet pics. It had to either be that year or the next, at the Motorplex, Ace in the gold car vs. Snake.... Ed ran a 5.13; which in today's world would be like someone running 3.8 something in a funny car. I seem to recall they were the last 2 cars to run, and people were like dumbfounded by what it said on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Oh my God, you gotta watch how you title these headers. When I first saw "two" dates after Ace's name, I thought the worst (as in birth and death), ....then I re-read the the dates. First glance really fooled me, but thankfully Ace is alive and well. Whew!!! :)

I think I'll have a drink now!!!

The Gold Miller cars were my absolute favorite funny cars of all time!

Man, Wayne, you have an awesome archive of photos, brother! Keep 'em comin'!

Sean D

I've always been interested in photographing drag racing but the price of film and developing kept me from doing much. Of coarse the digital age has solved that problem. About five years ago, I decided to start collecting all the photos I could borrow and scan, of our local track's racing history. Along with these photos, I get a lot of pics that were taken at other tracks, as a side benefit.

MEMORIES.

When Atlanta "International" Dragway was built, the stands were right on top of the track. The walls were at the front of the stands. After NHRA took over the stands were reconfigured, alot safer IMO.

Sweet pics. It had to either be that year or the next, at the Motorplex, Ace in the gold car vs. Snake.... Ed ran a 5.13; which in today's world would be like someone running 3.8 something in a funny car. I seem to recall they were the last 2 cars to run, and people were like dumbfounded by what it said on the scoreboard.

Snake had run 5.17 at Indy, it wasn't that far fetched.

Here is how to watch a drag race;

lions.jpg

I Agree !..........................

quote:
They use to be my fave back in the day, both Ed's and Dicks. Still got the Revell model of Aces car, around somewhere

looking at mine right now !........I loved the Miller/Budweiser "wars" in every form.............Perry Jr.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back