Ed Pink Racing Shop (1 Viewer)

tb

Nitro Member
Nice tour of Ed Pink Racing Engines shop with Ed himself, He does not own that business any more, it is now owned by Tom Malloy. Tom has USAC Midgets and Vintage Indy Cars, he also owns Trench Shoring.

The Shop is being torn down to make way for a bus terminal for the upcoming Olympics.

Ed has always amazed me with his steel trap memory and vivid stories. Very sad the building will be going away

I'm particularly interested in when and where they move to. We at VHS don't always consider Pink's a direct competitor as the are in the same area, but it will have an impact on our business.

Thanks for the heads-up on that video. I finally got a chance to watch it. Some real history there. The building dates from 1961. Ed bought it in 1965. Interesting info that Harry Hibler was a contractor at the time and he built out all the various rooms after Ed bought the building. That is a much bigger facility than I thought. Good to see that they are still very busy with a lot of engine work. Ed’s almost 92! He said that Pat Foster worked there for several years in the 1970's as a fabricator.

Hand Grenade Harry Hibler managed San Fernando Drag Strip and also drove T/F back in the daze. Was known to blow stuff up on dragsters. heh

I recall that Ed had at least one son - Billy or Bill. I don't believe he was shown in the video. I wonder if Bill has/had any involvement in the business?

I recall that Ed had at least one son - Billy or Bill. I don't believe he was shown in the video. I wonder if Bill has/had any involvement in the business?
Think about it, if Ed is 92 his son could very well be retired and have no interest in working anywhere!

Think about it, if Ed is 92 his son could very well be retired and have no interest in working anywhere!

Based on photos I've seen, his son would be around 60, I think. So who knows. I was just curious if the son was ever involved in the business.

It is common to see Ed at the various drag racing Reunions, but I don't recall ever seeing Ed with someone who looked like it could be his son.

Based on photos I've seen, his son would be around 60, I think. So who knows. I was just curious if the son was ever involved in the business.

It is common to see Ed at the various drag racing Reunions, but I don't recall ever seeing Ed with someone who looked like it could be his son.
Ed has a son & daughter, "Billy Pink" he worked at Ed's shop then I believe he went to work for a NASCAR team in the eighties, saw him at the CHRR a few years ago he's doing good!

Hand Grenade Harry Hibler managed San Fernando Drag Strip and also drove T/F back in the daze. Was known to blow stuff up on dragsters. heh
Harry was a carpenter at his day job back in the sixties, (framer) also the manager of San Fernando Drag Strip on Sundays, He's in his eighties now and lives a couple of blocks from me on the same street here in the San Fernando Valley

Ed has a son & daughter, "Billy Pink" he worked at Ed's shop then I believe he went to work for a NASCAR team in the eighties, saw him at the CHRR a few years ago he's doing good!

Thanks Jeff! You are from the Valley so no surprise that you would know. Did you ever buy engine components from Ed back in your Funny Car days?

Thanks Jeff! You are from the Valley so no surprise that you would know. Did you ever buy engine components from Ed back in your Funny Car days?
Yes, I did, I also worked for ED from 1975-76 building superchargers, my pay checks would be pretty small after buying parts from Ed he would deduct the parts from my checks.

I built Ed's blowers, and the first 871 Blower Ed made, I also modified the manifolds to fit the larger supercharger " Ed the Ace" ran the first one at OCIR

During that time a lot of local racers worked for Ed, Pat Foster, Mikio Yoshida, Leroy Chaderton. and Glen Osaka.
Snake had one or two of the shops out back and the Blue Max guys kept their car and rig there for the Manufacturers Meet, and thru the winter months.

Great memories and lifelong friends from that time.

Yes, I did, I also worked for ED from 1975-76 building superchargers, my pay checks would be pretty small after buying parts from Ed he would deduct the parts from my checks.

I built Ed's blowers, and the first 871 Blower Ed made, I also modified the manifolds to fit the larger supercharger " Ed the Ace" ran the first one at OCIR

During that time a lot of local racers worked for Ed, Pat Foster, Mikio Yoshida, Leroy Chaderton. and Glen Osaka.
Snake had one or two of the shops out back and the Blue Max guys kept their car and rig there for the Manufacturers Meet, and thru the winter months.

Great memories and lifelong friends from that time.

Thanks for that glimpse into drag racing past. I'm a big fan of the history of the sport (as are many Nitromater readers) so I always enjoy these types of anecdotes. I have been surprised how many local LA-area drag racers worked for the many suppliers out there as their day jobs - places like Keith Black; Pink; Woody Gilmore; Engle Cams, etc.

Jeff, what was the difference between 6:71 and 8:71 blowers? I usta see both blowers and the performance seemed to be the same.

Jeff, what was the difference between 6:71 and 8:71 blowers? I usta see both blowers and the performance seemed to be the same.
The 871superchargers rotors & cases were 15/16 of an inch longer, we had to mount an alum block on the back of the 671 manifolds and machine the rear cut out the extra 15/16" to match the longer case, then fly cut the top to level the manifold.
Now days that's not an issue, as they chock down the opening along with other things inside the manifolds to force the air into the cylinders,

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back