Drove up to Ocala today (1 Viewer)

I've been to the museum too, in 1999. Well worth the little side trip when traveling on I-75.

Mark, I was there in `99 too. Stayed in Ocala Sunday night after eliminations and then spent Monday morning at the Museum before driving down to Orlando for my flight out.

I'd love to go to Don's Museum, but they close at 5Pm which makes getting there from Orlando from a 3PM flight in time impossible! I called and asked why they don't stay open late during Gator's week. I was told they are Fri-Sat only, but staying in G-ville it's about a 70 mile trip! Unless they change the schedule I don't think I'll make it.

Gotta tell this one on myself. I remember watching Big and Mongoose on TV a looong time ago, and Goose was talking about sending his Coors car to the museum, and then joked that "that place is a shrine". Well, I got to go in '05 while I was on my way back to Texas from Orlando, and while I was there my dad called to see if I had made it. When the cell phone rang, it snapped me out of a trance, and I answered and then whispered to him that I was in the museum then and would have to call him back later. After I hung up I realized that I had talked real low and quiet and I realized that I felt like someone had called me while I was in church, lol. That place really IS a shrine. I'm gonna get to go back the end of December when I leave Miami and go back to Texas again, can't wait to see it again.

There are two places in the world I NEED to go before I leave this Physical Plane.....:

1) Race at the US Nationals
2) Go to the DRAG RACING MUSEUM in Ocala, FLA!

I've had the HONOR of shaking "BIG"'s hand only once in my life, and it was very simular to my 10 minutes with Wally Parks. OVERWELMING! But, what is truly amazing, is how "REAL" these people are. I understand that all of us on this board are DIEHARD Drag Racing Fans, and that these people are BIGGER THAN LIFE to us, but to the average Joe, they most likely would not be recognised in a grocery store. But, how they will take the time to just SHOOT THE BREEZE just like they've known you for years is what seperates them from other sports legends! I think that is why I love NHRA Drag Racing so much. The people who make up the sport are truly amazing!

Tim:cool:

In '06 my dad told him his E-town blowover happened right in front of him. To which Big responded, "Oh I hated that run, I bent a good car!"

I went to Big's a few years ago, it was perfect. Esp for those of us who saw many of the cars there run over the years. Don was not there, he was match racing Shirley up in Englishtown. He won. Too bad both he and Shirley no longer drive. The last time he raced in competition, he was in 16th place and got bumped out, they showed him and Pat wacthing it happen, it was the saddest thing, to see the look on his face. The Musuem is a must see for any fan of the sport.
I remember watching that unfold on TV and I felt like somebody had shot my dog when he got bumped out. :(

Back when I was in 6th or 7th grade a friend and I got into an argument about superchargers and I knew I was right and he was wrong. I tried everything to convince him he was wrong but he still wouldn't believe me so I sat down and wrote a letter to Don to get his answer figuring there was nobody better to settle the argument. A few weeks later I opened up the mailbox and there was a letter from Don Garlits! I couldn't believe he wrote me back so I stared at it in disbelief for a couple minutes before I finally opened it. Sure enough, I was right and my friend was wrong. :D I managed to lose that letter many years ago and to this day I wish I still had it. How cool is it that a guy as busy as Don sat down long enough to type out a nice reply to a young kid with a dumb question trying to win an argument. :cool:

I've had the pleasure of meeting Don a couple times at Cordova and both times I was so awe-struck I barely knew what to say to him. I definitely want to make it to the museum to take a tour of all that history and have another chance to chat with Don.

I was there quite a few years ago. That place is an american motorsports treasure. I absolutley consider it just as prestegious & important as the NHRA Museum out west - which I've never been to.

In '06 my dad told him his E-town blowover happened right in front of him. To which Big responded, "Oh I hated that run, I bent a good car!"

It was weird looking at the pictures of the debris I remember that run like it was yesterday, it was an unseasonably cold day in NJ. I was sitting right before where he went over backwards.

I'll never forget Big answering a letter of mine, full of geeky questions from a 12 year old, and sending me a manila envelope full of Wynn's Charge stickers. Most definitely want to get back to the museum one of these days.

First went to Big's museum in the fall of 84, that was the year it opened, he had just got back from winning the finals at pomona and I was lucky enough to get one of the pistons out of the final round motor, I still have it, Big engraved "Don Garlits, Pomona 84 263.92 5.46" Have been there two more times since than. I'm glad I do not live close to the museum as I would be there every day! Like the late Steve Evans said,"The place talks to me" One of the old Big Daddy fans wanted to change the lords prayer to read--
"Our Father whom art in Florida":)

I've been a big fan of Big Daddy every since I can remember. The time that really stands out was in 71, at a little drag strip not far from where I lived. Don was to match race Steve Carbone, that was afetr the great burn down at Indy. Don had the then new rear engine car and Carbone had his brand new Rear engine car. I hung around the Garlits pit until they were called to the lanes, this was back in the day of the roller starters. Don and T.C. were starting to push the car over to the starters and Don looked at me and told me to jump in and help. I was in heaven (I was 13 then) and thought I was ready to die since I had touched Garlits car. As soon as the cars fired I ran to the fence to watch, then after the run I ran straight to my Dad to report what I had done.

Fast forward to 1984 and I made my first trip to the museum, I remember as I was leaving I saw Don driving off in an old 40 Ford sedan (not restored). I jumped in my car to try and catch him but he was long gone. Every time I have talked with him over the years he has always taken the time to talk, he's a great guy. The wife and I are planning a trip to the museum again this February, I can't wait.

I've been twice, it was really amazing. The first time I went with my wife, and she got bored after a few hours. The second time I went alone when on business in FLA and spent an afternoon there just checking out everything. Personally I thought that Big Daddy had cooler stuff in his place than in the NHRA Museum.

Back in the mid 70's Don was racing at New England Dragway, between rounds in the pits he was working on car, changing spark plugs, I was watching and talking to him, he tossed me a spark plug from the still warm motor. I still have that plug, its on a small stand with one of his Piston-Rod clock things that he used to sell at the museum. Imagine a time when the Driver not only drove but built the car, designed it ,and repaired it between rounds. He is the last of his kind. i

I forgot to mention - when we went over to the other building, my wife wanted to put her purse in the car. The woman behind the counter said, "It wouldn't be that Mustang out there, would it?" I said it was, she said that someone had asked her who's it was:cool: Maybe something to do with my new tag:

1112071153.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back