Drove up to Ocala today (1 Viewer)

NitroMustang65

Nitro Member
Hey gang - just wanted to pass on a bit of what my wife and I did today - I've lived in Tampa for 12 years and it wasn't until 2007 that I finally went to the Gatornationals in March, and to the Garlits Museum today! A few pics:

DSC06372.jpg

DSC06371.jpg

DSC06381.jpg

DSC06382.jpg

<Jealous>

Say, did ya happen to hear anything about T.C. Lemmons?
He wasn't feeling to good earlier this year.

Nice girl ya got there
icon14.gif

Good job man.

BTW, the photo album is "private" and we can't see it.

<Jealous>

Say, did ya happen to hear anything about T.C. Lemmons?
He wasn't feeling to good earlier this year.

Nice girl ya got there
icon14.gif

Good job man.

BTW, the photo album is "private" and we can't see it.

Yeah she's a keeper :cool: And the album access is fixed:D I didn't hear anything around the museum about TC Lemmons.

Thanks for the pics
I saw Don prolly 3 or 4 times at the track,and ever time I'm like........
speachless....I don't know what to say to the MAN!!!
he's the MAN.....I do have one of his books,and a few t-shirts,and video.

I went to the Don Garlits museum for 2 years in a row, and in '06 I went at a good time:

Garlitsmeweb.jpg

I had him sign our tickets, and I also have his signature on my 50th anniversary banner.

Great pics everyone. I went back in 99 and asked Don to sign my time slip from the practice tree. He 's really great with fans.

Oh for anybody that is wandering, here's my banner (with GA posing with it):

Andersonbannerweb.jpg

I've got so many signatures, I lost count! And I got a bunch more since this shot was taken.

"After seeing this - it's amazing that more drivers weren't maimed/killed due to differential/transmission kabooms!"

We dropped a 49-53 Old's carrier in the differential in one of our old TF dragsters once, when we broke the caps. The torque forced the carrier back against the differential housing and the ring gear ground into it enough to actually singe the crotch of the driver's fire suit!!:eek:

As part of the repair, we welded a three inch wide steel strip across the area where the ring gear spun to protect the family jewels, in case we had another occurrence. Our later cars had 8 3/4" Chrysler rear ends and we both braced the back and added the steel strip.

Thanks have changed a lot since then!!

DG

Last edited:
Didn't a Fuel Altered guy from Nor Calif get whacked pretty bad when one broke loose ???
Dave,you ought to relate the story about warming up your fueler in the garage on a cold day !! It still cracks me up.........:p

cool! i went to bigs meuseum last year when i was in gainesville, what a place! what history! every drag race fan should go there at least once. and big is usually around , riding his bike or walking around.

I went to Big's a few years ago, it was perfect. Esp for those of us who saw many of the cars there run over the years. Don was not there, he was match racing Shirley up in Englishtown. He won. Too bad both he and Shirley no longer drive. The last time he raced in competition, he was in 16th place and got bumped out, they showed him and Pat wacthing it happen, it was the saddest thing, to see the look on his face. The Musuem is a must see for any fan of the sport.

I went to Big's a few years ago, it was perfect. Esp for those of us who saw many of the cars there run over the years. Don was not there, he was match racing Shirley up in Englishtown. He won. Too bad both he and Shirley no longer drive. The last time he raced in competition, he was in 16th place and got bumped out, they showed him and Pat wacthing it happen, it was the saddest thing, to see the look on his face. The Musuem is a must see for any fan of the sport.

I was so pissed off that day. We got to see the legendary Andrew Cowin instead of BIG. Actually I think the Greek knocked out BIG which was kinda cool in a way. But then Andrew knocked out the Greek.

Nothing against Andrew. That's life in the real world. I'm sure we'll be starting with champions provisionals soon though, so we won't have to worry about this happening again :D

I've been to the museum too, in 1999. Well worth the little side trip when traveling on I-75. In 1996, while at the US Nationals, my brother and I were walking in from the parking lot across the street and Big had his little museum on wheels with his Swamp Rat III digger. He was signing his copies of his book, which both my brother and I bought. We chatted with him for a good hour as nobody else was in line. He's a true gentleman. He talked our ears off and was genuinely interested in talking with us and was in no hurry to get us to leave. Yes sir, I'm a Big Daddy fan for life.

Wayne and I went to the Museum on the Tuesday after the Gatornationals, and we spent many hours looking through both parts of the Museum. We hadn't been there very long when I door opened, and out walks Big. He said something like "good morning" and I was so surprised to see him that I couldn't manage more than a polite return greeting. :eek:

I recovered myself and tried to get Wayne's attention to take pictures, but he was all the way down one of the rows of displays, and I couldn't get his attention until it was too late. Oh well...I guess we'll have to make another trip. :)

Big's Museum is definitely a don't miss for any drag racing fan! The history of drag racing is played out right in front of you, with the cars, parts, awards, photos, and videos. We in Florida are really lucky to have it nearby!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back