Drag racing's internet Turf wars! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I had always wondered how the Mob Bosses at NHRA viewed what was posted on Compplus and DRO concerning info they deemed "Confidential" or Not Fan friendly to NHRA. According to Jon Asher's latest column, it's becoming vicious!

http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1554&Itemid=24

Some Racers are told that "If" NHRA doesn't get exclusives on Sponsor or Team info over the E-mags, they won't get any coverage from NHRA.com

The Claws are coming out on this one.

Sponsors rely upon team PR people to spread the word. If NHRA was more effective at theit role as a sanctioning body in terms of media coverage this issue would ever come up.

The fact is, right or wrong, if news sources other than NHRA do a more efective job at coverage then the NHRA is going to take a back seat. Ultimately this is probably not a good thing for the sport in general, however it is the obligation of the NHRA, and its (counterpart IHRA) to implement a news coverage process that puts them in the drivers seat.

This is how sanctioning bodies grow and gain credibility to the public.

To take an adversarial position towards other avenues of press/news coverage is simply the opposite of what NHRA needs to do to improve their position. If NHRA wants to better attract sponsors, competitors, fans, and additional media coverage (tv), then in my opinion they should simply say "thank you" to every organization that promotes our sport and they should resolve to do a better and more efficient job of placing themselves (NHRA) in a position where news stories will come to them first, if that is what they want.

To diminish the decisions of of race teams or to threaten or even imply any sort of consequences should they release information to another source threatens all of us involved with the sport of sanctioned drag racing at all levels.

If this information is true it sounds to me like we have a problem that needs to be very quickly, and very logically dealt with in a constructive (not destructive) manner.

This is why NHRA will never be as big as Nascar. Nascar gets it and NHRA doesnt. I used to go to NHRA.com first but then I realized that if you want up to date info thats not old news then you come here, go to comp plus, dro or whatever but NHRA is the last place to check. It might be up next week if were lucky or by the time the next ND gets here. DRC is the absolute best place to find up to the minute results also.

NHRA should be glad they have people helping them promote the sport. Its not competition Tom, its your best ally. You never cease to amaze me.

This battle is nothing new and is not relegated strictly to the internet. NHRA has operated under the veil of protectionism for decades.

One only need look at the way Don Garlits has been portrayed by the NHRA for his involvement with other sanctioning bodies and his out-spoken nature to point out NHRA's short comings or slip-up. Had it not been for some more level-headed persons, Garlits would have been left out of the NHRA's Anniversary coffee table book.

Flash forward to 2006 and look at the lack of exposure that Bob Gilbertson began to receive when it was made known that he would run a select number of IHRA events. At his sponsors race Gilby received little to no coverage in print media or otherwise.

Then look at the aggressive nature by which NHRA goes after IHRA sanctioned tracks and the gleeful announcement that comes when they get a track to switch.

I have argued for years that NHRA's only goal in the last couple of decades was to do whatever was good for NHRA... not drag racing, but solely of the benefit of NHRA. I would challenge anyone out there to show me more than a handful of actions or decisions from NHRA over the last few years that were not solely to their benefit.

This deal, actually, is old news.

A few years ago, I put out a short memo to all the team PR people saying that we'd love to receive submitted feature stories from them about their drivers. Like any other news agency in the world, we want to have unique stories that our readers would like to see. The only requirements we had was that the stories be written to AP style (an industry standard) and that they give us the exclusive on the piece for at least 24 hours.

It's important to note that we're talking about feature stories here, not breaking news. Breaking news is just that, something that's happening right now. We were looking for more of what you might see on 20/20, a behind-the-scenes look at what drivers do, versus what's on the nightly news. You routinely see all the big news agencies running the same stories -- i.e. bomb went off in Iraq today, etc… -- but 20/20 or 60 Minutes run stories that only they have, at least in the beginning. Same with us -- a new sponsor is breaking news. We all get it at the same time, for the most part. Feature stories can be run at any time.

Somehow, (I wish to God I had saved the memo) this simple memo was misconstrued as the heavy-handed NHRA wants all stories for us and us alone. Nothing could be further from the truth. We applaud the various websites that provide coverage of our sport. If we didn't want them around, I wouldn't think that the media department would offer them credentials. And trust me, the media room is always full. I only use one seat.

Bobby Bennett of CompPlus.com is a close, personal friend and he does a great job over there. He has a staff of writers doing their own thing and I do mine. Obviously, the lead story position on NHRA.com is a coveted spot. That's why we wanted some exclusivity.

If I wrote a story about Tony Schumacher's Christmas break and made it the lead story, I promise you Bobby wouldn't want to immediately send one of his staffers out to write a similar story. He'd want something totally different.

We have our own guidelines for what ranks as a lead story and work to fill them as we construct our own stories.

If every website had exactly the same news, why would we need more than one website?

The bottom line is this: drag racing coverage of (almost) any kind is good. We encourage it every chance we get, which was what I was trying to do with the original memo I mentioned. To date, only two or three PR people have taken me up on the offer.

The other thing I'd like everyone to keep in mind is that we always respect the wishes of our racers. If Don Prudhomme asks me not to run anything about his new sponsor until it's official, I will always respect that, regardless of the fact everyone pretty much knows who it is at this point.

There are hundreds of things I know that will never see the light of day because they were told to me "off the record." There are pending deals we know about that we will respect the team owner's request to keep quiet about until they tell us otherwise. We don't want to risk screwing up someone's multi-million dollar deal because we just had to be the first people in the world to tell everyone it might happen. That's why we don't have a rumor section. We think they do more harm than good.

I hope this clears everything up. Aren't you glad the season starts soon so we can talk about racing?

Regards,
Rob Geiger

Anyone ever heard of the title "LEGAL DEPT" w/in a corporation?
These websites that will all love can throw stuff up @ anytime w/out checking the facts. One lawsuit by an ESQ. would shut this site and every other one down in minutes. NHRA has to protect themselves @ every angle in regards to slander, mis-leading info, news,etc.
If your assets were on the line you would be just as cautious.
And how many more fans could they get in a venue on Sat or Sun anyway? The stands are full most of the time @ that is the bottom line. I wish there were less fans @ the races. I stopped going to POMONA years ago due to the crowds..
We, us on NITROMATER, can throw are nonsense out there w/out thinking of any recourse but if our assets were up for legal formalities we'd all watch our keyboard (loose lips) talent a little more.....

This deal, actually, is old news.

A few years ago, I put out a short memo to all the team PR people saying that we'd love to receive submitted feature stories from them about their drivers. Like any other news agency in the world, we want to have unique stories that our readers would like to see. The only requirements we had was that the stories be written to AP style (an industry standard) and that they give us the exclusive on the piece for at least 24 hours.

It's important to note that we're talking about feature stories here, not breaking news. Breaking news is just that, something that's happening right now. We were looking for more of what you might see on 20/20, a behind-the-scenes look at what drivers do, versus what's on the nightly news. You routinely see all the big news agencies running the same stories -- i.e. bomb went off in Iraq today, etc… -- but 20/20 or 60 Minutes run stories that only they have, at least in the beginning. Same with us -- a new sponsor is breaking news. We all get it at the same time, for the most part. Feature stories can be run at any time.

Somehow, (I wish to God I had saved the memo) this simple memo was misconstrued as the heavy-handed NHRA wants all stories for us and us alone. Nothing could be further from the truth. We applaud the various websites that provide coverage of our sport. If we didn't want them around, I wouldn't think that the media department would offer them credentials. And trust me, the media room is always full. I only use one seat.

Bobby Bennett of CompPlus.com is a close, personal friend and he does a great job over there. He has a staff of writers doing their own thing and I do mine. Obviously, the lead story position on NHRA.com is a coveted spot. That's why we wanted some exclusivity.

If I wrote a story about Tony Schumacher's Christmas break and made it the lead story, I promise you Bobby wouldn't want to immediately send one of his staffers out to write a similar story. He'd want something totally different.

We have our own guidelines for what ranks as a lead story and work to fill them as we construct our own stories.

If every website had exactly the same news, why would we need more than one website?

The bottom line is this: drag racing coverage of (almost) any kind is good. We encourage it every chance we get, which was what I was trying to do with the original memo I mentioned. To date, only two or three PR people have taken me up on the offer.

The other thing I'd like everyone to keep in mind is that we always respect the wishes of our racers. If Don Prudhomme asks me not to run anything about his new sponsor until it's official, I will always respect that, regardless of the fact everyone pretty much knows who it is at this point.

There are hundreds of things I know that will never see the light of day because they were told to me "off the record." There are pending deals we know about that we will respect the team owner's request to keep quiet about until they tell us otherwise. We don't want to risk screwing up someone's multi-million dollar deal because we just had to be the first people in the world to tell everyone it might happen. That's why we don't have a rumor section. We think they do more harm than good.

I hope this clears everything up. Aren't you glad the season starts soon so we can talk about racing?

Regards,
Rob Geiger

Good post Rob, always good to get both sides of any story.

heres good story on the NHRA....i know it has nothing to do with the subject at hand....

i worked for a few years for a Radio Controled car company.. we offered and sold a ton of basic r/c drag kits.... one day out of the blue we get a phone call.... "Hello this is so in so form the NHRA... We would like to talk to you about putting the NHRA logo on you r/c drag kits.. we think they are realy great..yada-yada more smoke up our skirt commints.... and we think it would realy help your company... only thing is we would like to aprove all the items you show our logo on.." .. ok no problem..... "oh and as soon as you send us $10,000 you can get started and you will pay us 15% of the wholesale cost of each item"... Well ok.. the owner said.. and what do we get?.. you get to use our Logo.. so we asked again.. what do we get... .. what do you mean he asked... Well we are paying for our adverstising and the promotion and the distribution... which means we will promoting the NHRA in an area that you are not marketing in and should bring you new fans and viewers... what do we get for that in return...??? We explained to him that we already payed all the auto mfgrs for liscenceing and all of them combined was cheaper than that preposed figure .. and to add the cost of our products for what he was asking would put the products in a price range that would limit sales and hurt our business... his come back was ..."so your not going to do this..???? explained again we can't afford what you are asking and we will just have to rely on our own work. thanks for the offer ......

here is where it gets funny....
and i qoute.." Well since we came to you with this idea and you can't seem to follow orders.. this is our idea to have the NHRA on your products... we better not see another groups name afiliated on your products... or you (our company) should expect to hear from the NHRA lawyers"..... " hope you stay in business" (company had already been around for 20 years)

we told several of the auto mfgrs we worked with about this and they laughed... said tell them to kiss your A**...lol... the rep from Ford said are they stupid?.. don't they realise that the product (we) sold appealed to kids more than anyone and it made for future fans of the sport....lol..

from what i have heard this idiot got a promotion and is still there today...lol... that was 6 years ago... that should give you an idea how stupid they were then...lol

Maybe with everything going on lately with the NHRA.. they are working on the second rule of advertising.... bad press helps too.....lol ...but i think they are depending on the bad press too much.....

nice post Rob...

Billy

Last edited:
We're all extremely passionate about Drag Racing - of that there is no doubt. And most, if not all of us, are guilty at one time or another of allowing that passion to blind us to some realities. Rob, your explanation was spot on and I appreciate what you do, both for NHRA and here on The Mater.

thanks for the counter point Rob, it looks like a clarification memo needs to be sent out

heres good story on the NHRA....i know it has nothing to do with the subject at hand....

i worked for a few years for a Radio Controled car company.. we offered and sold a ton of basic r/c drag kits.... one day out of the blue we get a phone call.... "Hello this is so in so form the NHRA... We would like to talk to you about putting the NHRA logo on you r/c drag kits.. we think they are realy great..yada-yada more smoke up our skirt commints.... and we think it would realy help your company... only thing is we would like to aprove all the items you show our logo on.." .. ok no problem..... "oh and as soon as you send us $10,000 you can get started and you will pay us 15% of the wholesale cost of each item"... Well ok.. the owner said.. and what do we get?.. you get to use our Logo.. so we asked again.. what do we get... .. what do you mean he asked... Well we are paying for our adverstising and the promotion and the distribution... which means we will promoting the NHRA in an area that you are not marketing in and should bring you new fans and viewers... what do we get for that in return...??? We explained to him that we already payed all the auto mfgrs for liscenceing and all of them combined was cheaper than that preposed figure .. and to add the cost of our products for what he was asking would put the products in a price range that would limit sales and hurt our business... his come back was ..."so your not going to do this..???? explained again we can't afford what you are asking and we will just have to rely on our own work. thanks for the offer ......

and i qoute.." Well since we came to you with this idea and you can't seem to follow orders.. this is our idea to have the NHRA on your products... we better not see another groups name afiliated on your products... or you (our company) should expect to hear from the NHRA lawyers"..... " hope you stay in business" (company had already been around for 20 years)

we told several of the auto mfgrs we worked with about this and they laughed... said tell them to kiss your A**...lol... the rep from Ford said are they stupid?.. don't they realise that the product (we) sold appealed to kids more than anyone and it made for future fans of the sport....lol..

from what i have heard this idiot got a promotion and is still there today...lol... that was 6 years ago... that should give you an idea how stupid they were then...lol

Maybe with everything going on lately with the NHRA.. they are working on the second rule of advertising.... bad press helps too.....lol ...but i think they are depending on the bad press too much.....

nice post Rob...

Billy

And I'm sure you could prove this ?

Aren't you glad the season starts soon so we can talk about racing?

Regards,
Rob Geiger

Rob...as a 24-year member of the Radio Journalism industry, I totally understand your description and position. It's a fair and reasonable request and position you take with the various teams/owners/racers. I corresponded with Phil Burgess earlier today, and he said the same thing.

This is an excellent example of how an appropriate request (by Rob) can get twisted in to something that it never was.

Trust me folks, Rob's request of drivers and owners is a normal, News industry request. Rob is doing this by the book, and in a fair and reasonable way.

Rob, I support you 100%.

nice post Rob...

Billy

Billy if anyone from any company tried a proposal like that to me. I'd tell him/her to go soak their Head!:confused: That sounds so insulting, we'll allow you to Pimp our Logo as long as we approve the product and get 15%? I wonder how many sponsors told this Jackass to go pluck himself????:eek:

Paul W... oh yeah i can give out the two other peoples names involved.... from my end.. Bob Rule owner... Rick Jordan head engineer and myself. Billy Weeks i had just strated about a month before to head up advertising and marketing for the company......

can't remember if Steve Rule, Bobs son was in on it or not...

Company was Bolink...

Joe.. funny thing was we got contacted by NASCAR also.. they layed everything out and even altered several times trying to help make it financialy workable for us.. and they even offerd to help promote us.... the amount from them was not as high but it was more than we could take on....

Billy

Last edited:
I read that too and I was left scratching my head because I know that the NHRA staffers have a pretty good relationship with Comp Plus, etc and bends over backwards for the press. I know first hand NHRA will do what they can within reason for race teams.

Thanks for the story.

I guess I'm surprised that anyone is questioning your version. Back in the days of SportService, racers were paid less than $4 for the tshirts that were sold for $17. They were not allowed to sell on their own except at Sanair, the difference being that SportsService only had rights in the United States.

Many, many pro racers not only paid for their trip but also put some money toward parts just from the tshirt sales in Montreal that they were allowed to keep.

I remember some racers (WJ and Jerry Eckman) setting up their own trailer that would be parked just off the racetrack property.

Paul W... oh yeah i can give out the two other peoples names involved.... from my end.. Bob Rule owner... Rick Jordan head engineer and myself. Billy Weeks i had just strated about a month before to head up advertising and marketing for the company......

can't remember if Steve Rule, Bobs son was in on it or not...

Company was Bolink...

Joe.. funny thing was we got contacted by NASCAR also.. they layed everything out and even altered several times trying to help make it financialy workable for us.. and they even offerd to help promote us.... the amount from them was not as high but it was more than we could take on....

Billy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back