Doug Herbert blog (1 Viewer)

Jer

Nitro Member
He has updated his blog with some pics of the boys,I know i dont know them personally but that really brought tears to my eyes. Go out and get that 2008 championship Doug!!

Man that was hard to read.
I have a son that was in a wreck a year ago that by all means he should not have survived. He fell asleep at 70 mph hit a guard rail head on flew through the air & hit a tree airborne with the drivers side roof & collapsed it flat on the dash & drove the head rest down into the seat. All he got was a concussion & 7 stitches in his hand.So I read that with tears in my eyes & thanking my lucky stars.

Last edited:
I agree with you Mike. It's hard to type with tears thinking about my own boys and what Doug and his wife are forced to deal with.

My deepest sympathy.

Very sad and hard to read. I cried and stop reading 3 times to thank God for my 3 boys. I too I'm a big Herbert fan. Teen ages think they are invincible. I had a good friend who losed her son a few years ago. It slowed my wild Son down. He saw how much pain it was for this boy parent. He evens told us how sorry he was for not listen to us to slow down. God be with Doug and his Family at this time.:(

You know, I'm sitting here in front of my computer today on one of very few days off I have, and that blog literally brought tears to my eyes. On these few days I have off, I get the simple pleasure of taking my kids to school. Not a big deal to most, but I love it when i get to do it. I just dropped them off a couple of hours ago, but after reading this, I'm almost at the point of pulling them all out for the day.

Like all of you have said, it's a very tough read to say the least, but nonetheless, very necessary (for me, at least). It did a heck of a job putting everything into perspective. Man, I need to slow down.....

Sean D

Sitting here at work, teary-eyed as well.

I don't think I could have brought myself to write that this soon. Prayers to his family, yet again.

Wow, that was indeed hard to choke back the tears. The fact Doug wrote that displays what a genuinely good person he is and the depth of his character. No question in my mind, I'm pulling for him to win it all this year.

As a parent myself I am so moved by the words from Doug. Doug has always been known as a class act and a decent human being who always did for others unselfishly. I wish there was something I could do to make it better but I know there is not. Only the passing of time will ease his pain. It will never go away but it will subside.

To Doug and his family I can only offer my prayers and hope that God does the rest.

jim

Wow, that was touching. Guys like Doug Herbert and John Medlen both are almost saint-like in the way they handle such terrible adversity. I have no idea how I would handle a similar situation, but only pray that god would give me the courage to be as strong as these two guys.

Count me in as a Doug Herbert fan for life, both as an NHRA drag racer and as a good man.

I went through the same thing in 1996... I'm a retired cop... and when 2 state Troopers, & Two members of my dept. knocked at my door at 3:00am.. The first thing I thought was my son (age 22) got caught speeding or doing something stupid..... How I wish I was right..

Then the 1st Trooper told me my son had been involved in an accident...

At that point I KNEW it was a FATAL because in any accident if a child is injured no matter how seriously, the police will usually just call the house and tell the parent you son/daughter was involved in a car accident as is in xxxx Hospital. no matter how serious it is.. The cops will let the doctors inform the parents as to the condition..

However if the accident is a FATAL is is policy for the police to GO TO THE HOUSE & PERSONALLY inform the family..

Thus when I say 4 police and they told me my son was involved in an accident I INSTANTLY KNEW IT WAS A FATAL :(

When we woke up my wife she said "No you wrong he is asleep" & ran to his room....and it just got worse from there...

Its been almost 12 yrs since my son died, & I still 2nd guess myself, should I have let him get a Camaro Z-28 Was I wrong to let him go to Englishtown, How can you put a curfew on a 22 yr old? etc.... etc...

My wife has never been the same.. some nights she still drinks herself to sleep... on Christmas she is like a zombie just going through the motions...

We have 4 grandchildren and 2 daughters, but we lost our only son.. and I console myself by saying "Thats what God wanted"

God bless Doug and his family.. I know things WILL eventually get better, but they will NEVER get over it, and a day will NEVER go by without them thinking of their boys.. I know I never go a day without thinking of John Jr.

I went through the same thing in 1996... I'm a retired cop... And when 2 state Troopers, & Two members of my dept. knocked at my door at 3:00am... The first thing I thought was my son (age 22) got caught speeding or doing something stupid..... How I wish I was right...

Then the 1st Trooper told me my son had been involved in an accident...

At that point I KNEW it was a FATAL because in any accident if a child is injured no matter how seriously, the police will usually just call the house and tell the parent you son/daughter was involved in a car accident as is in axe Hospital. No matter how serious it is... The cops will let the doctors inform the parents as to the condition...

However if the accident is a FATAL is policy for the police to GO TO THE HOUSE & PERSONALLY informs the family...

Thus when I say 4 police and they told me my son was involved in an accident I INSTANTLY KNEW IT WAS A FATAL :(

When we woke up my wife she said "No you wrong he is asleep" & ran to his room....and it just got worse from there...

Its been almost 12 yrs since my son died, & I still 2nd guess myself, should I have let him get a Camano Z-28 Was I wrong to let him go to Englishtown, How can you put a curfew on a 22 yr old? Etc.... etc...

My wife has never been the same... some nights she still drinks herself to sleep... on Christmas she is like a zombie just going through the motions...

We have 4 grandchildren and 2 daughters, but we lost our only son... and I console myself by saying "That’s what God wanted"

God bless Doug and his family... I know things WILL eventually get better, but they will NEVER get over it, and a day will NEVER go by without them thinking of their boys... I know I never go a day without thinking of John Jr.

Ok John I am crying again, this time for you and your wife. You guy are in my prays as well. My Husband works with a Gale who lost her 28 year old son. He had a very fast motorcycle. She hated it. She told him she wouldn’t cosign the loan put she did. She has never been the same ether. It’s times like this you know god will use his transcending glory, he will make good out of this you just have to keep faith!

He has updated his blog with some pics of the boys,I know i dont know them personally but that really brought tears to my eyes. Go out and get that 2008 championship Doug!!

I may have missed that someone put this link out here somewhere, but I thought others might like to read it. As a mom, this is an unbelievable thing and my heart goes out to Doug and his family.

Top Story: 'You just have to hug them and tell them every chance that you get that you love them' | herbert, jon, james : Gaston Gazette

Reference to the blog has been posted before..but there can be as many references as are posted..I won't merge them. Post away.

Your link I haven't seen Suzanne..

I'll put what I said in the other thread concerning Doug's blog:

There is absolutely no consolation (that I can see) at this point.

When he said 'I am not sure why things happen but I can say that I am thankful that the last thing both of my boys told me was that they loved me. I am sure they know how much I loved them.'

It wells up way bad at that point..how can it not.

And personally, it's not getting much better at this point. I don't know Doug..and it wouldn't hurt any less if I did. My head just drops..in grief from so far away. My chin hits my chest..the palms of my hands cover my eyes in thought of what the Herberts feel. It literally breaks my heart.

Bless you, Doug & Sonnie and please hang in there Jessie..we all care for you.

My prayers are with you all.

:(
It's like I said in the chat room last night:
I don't know how he had the strength.

When I lost my old man, my mind basically shut-down for at least a solid week.

It was really touching to read that Mr. Medlen sought him out to console him.
:(

Doug Hebert will have many people pulling for him this year. He will hear the cheers from the stands, even over the 90% motor.

My goodness, John....y'all are gonna be in my thoughts and prayers daily.

I haven't found the strength to read Doug's blog yet.

I have cousins, 2nd cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles, even my own Mother, that have all lost children. To me it is unfathomable to lose my reason for living. To lose the best thing I've ever done in my life is something that I can't even think about without crying.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back