Don Schumacher - Many Thanks (1 Viewer)

Bill

Nitro Member
First off, the second round of qualifying tonight was outstanding. Two hours and we were done.

Anyway, we stopped on the way home at a Wendy's in Joliet and in walks Don Schumacher with two of his guys. I told my daughter and her best friend who it was and they wanted a photo. One thing led to another and Ashley had her eyes closed so she wanted another photo. I'm feeling bad because it's 11pm and the poor guy is trying to eat his food.

We walk up and request autographs and another photo. He was really decent about it. But the real surprise came when they asked if we were going tomorrow and I replied no. Out came 3 tickets PLUS a invitation to the hospitality suite!

We plan to go tomorrow thanks to Don. The girls talked the rest of the way home how lucky they were and how much they look forward to Saturday qualifying. Thank you very much!

And no one would have known it happened if Bill hadn't told us ! Bet the Don will be supprised !
A family will have a very special day today ! :)

It's things like this that attracts (and keeps) new fans! I give all the credit in the world to "The Don"!

The girls went to the track yesterday with the neighbors and found out the tickets were to the hospitality suites above the grandstands. Funny thing was they showed up at the Fram tents with the tickets and were asked where they got the tickets.

When they said Mr. Schumacher, they were treated like royalty with a golf cart ride to the tower. Sonia said, "Dad, we had people wait on us and they served Vienna Beef hot dogs".

What a memorable night for the girls and to think it all came true because Ashley wanted a better photo with Don.

First off, the second round of qualifying tonight was outstanding. Two hours and we were done.

Anyway, we stopped on the way home at a Wendy's in Joliet and in walks Don Schumacher with two of his guys. I told my daughter and her best friend who it was and they wanted a photo. One thing led to another and Ashley had her eyes closed so she wanted another photo. I'm feeling bad because it's 11pm and the poor guy is trying to eat his food.

We walk up and request autographs and another photo. He was really decent about it. But the real surprise came when they asked if we were going tomorrow and I replied no. Out came 3 tickets PLUS a invitation to the hospitality suite!

We plan to go tomorrow thanks to Don. The girls talked the rest of the way home how lucky they were and how much they look forward to Saturday qualifying. Thank you very much!

Seriously........How GREAT is that!

Good for you!

Not much of a fan of DSR but that was a class act and shows what the difference is between drag racing and other venues. You can get car owners/drivers to do those thing in other venues but mostly when the cameras are there. I have to admit that after reading that I'm a lot less negative about DSR.

As a sidenote, I really felt bad about Ashley being so persistent about another photo but Don put his burger down and got out of his seat. I apologized to one of the guys and he said,"that's OK, that means more fries for us". Then I looked at the tray and realized they had all of the fries together like a communal french fry deal. He wasn't joking.

I had the opportunity to be a guest in the Force pits a couple of years ago and they were very friendly. We toured each semi and met all of them. While I'm really a Pro Stock guy (used to crew on one), Toni Yates offered to allow my daughter to go in their motor home one year when it was raining hard. They didn't know us other than we had mutual acquaintances but she saw a 10 yo who looked like a drowned rat. Erica Enders, Allen Johnson, and V. Gaines were really nice to my oldest daughter when she attended a Rt. 66 race about 10 years ago.

The reason I mention all of this because our stars are much more approachable and the only sport I think that comes close is FIA Rally Racing from our experiences in Finland. That's why it pains me so much to read others whose posts criticize the same folks who entertain us so well 16 weeks a year because our stars have feelings, too. Really, what do we accomplish by saying GA is dirty, WJ can't drive, or Don Schumacher is a blah-blah-blah.

I've worked two FIA F1 races in Belgium and had what I thought was all access security but you still can't get close to the drivers. Geez, you have to go through a security turnstyle, that's how serious it is and in drag racing you get the opportunity to talk to our drivers like they are your next door neighbor.

What a deal and they don't charge extra for the priviledge.

Last edited:
I'am very definitely not a Don fan and have been racing since the 50's. I have to say I'am very happy to hear what he did. It was wonderful for those folks and he certainly made some very happy, new, fans and it is nice when you hear a racer doing something like this.
I just don't like the way he manages his business.

This isn't the first time Don and his team have done something like this. The entire organization is a class act. When I first moved to the Chicagoland area in 2005 and I was making my first trip to the track, one of Don's employees sent me a message here on the Mater and offered me 2 tickets and hospitality passes for both Saturday and Sunday of the event. This was my now oldest son's first race and he was able to go and enjoy the race in comfort. I will always be grateful to Don and his team for going out of their way to make sure I enjoyed my first race at Rt. 66.

That was a really cool story, and he had a lot on his plate that weekend. I hope everything is well with Don's mother. Thanks for sharing the story Bill. Did you and the girls have a great time?

Mike.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back