Division 2 Opener - Bradenton - Photos (1 Viewer)

I took a "few" pictures at the Division 2 opener in Bradenton this weekend. Unfortunately, I had to work today, so I didn't get to see them finish the event. (Dontcha hate it when work interferes with life?!) Enjoy!

Lisa,

It must have been a cold weekend down in Bradenton. Did part of Sunday get rained out? Looking at the pictures, the racers appeared to outnumber the fans. Were the majority of spectators/fans on the side of the track you were on? I keep missing the races over in Bradenton. I'll be over there next weekend for a family event, but if I had planned ahead, might have been able to go this past weekend.

Congrats to Marty Nothstein on his 1st event victory in Alcohol Funny Car! How did he snag a Charger body? That's the first one I've seen on an Alcohol car. And what's up with Bob Newberry racing out of a Chapparel Trailer? Looks like Jay Payne is getting the majority of Valvoline's money.

Lisa,

It must have been a cold weekend down in Bradenton. Did part of Sunday get rained out? Looking at the pictures, the racers appeared to outnumber the fans. Were the majority of spectators/fans on the side of the track you were on? I keep missing the races over in Bradenton. I'll be over there next weekend for a family event, but if I had planned ahead, might have been able to go this past weekend.

Congrats to Marty Nothstein on his 1st event victory in Alcohol Funny Car! How did he snag a Charger body? That's the first one I've seen on an Alcohol car. And what's up with Bob Newberry racing out of a Chapparel Trailer? Looks like Jay Payne is getting the majority of Valvoline's money.

It was brutally cold in Bradenton - at least for those of us who aren't used to the cold or dressed for it. :p The wind was extremely strong and made the cold temperatures much worse. Despite needing to stay really bundled up, it was well worth being out there - sorry you missed it. There was a pretty decent turnout - most of the people were on the same side of the track as I was, so they weren't in the pictures. :)

As you may have read on DRC, ( Emercency Track Repairs Cut into Racing Action in Bradenton ) , Sunday had very little racing after a crash in Top Sportsman badly damaged the track, causing about 3 1/2 hours of down time between taking care of the drivers, clearing the cars and debris and then repairs of huge divots in the track and allowing the repairs to cure...then additional track prep after racing was about to resume. By the time racing resumed, they only managed a limited amount of racing before it was getting too cold to race safely. Anyone out there have an update on Gardner's condition? He was supposed to be okay and have relatively minor injuries, but that's the last I've heard.

Nothstein's Charger is the first in the alcohol cars - I'm not sure how they ended up being the guinea pigs for the body, but I'm guessing they're pretty pleased with the results! :cool:

Thanks for the pics. Could have done without seeing the carnage on our body (Crazy Horse) in print.:( Thanks for your hard work.
We'll be back for the Gators.

Great pictures. You didn't happen to stay for the rest of the race on Monday did you? I wouldn't mind seeing some winner's circle pictures if you happened to get any...

Hey Lisa,

Some great pics there. Thank you for posting them up. Got to get myself out to a divisional this year

Mike

Wow thanx for sharing!
I especially enjoyed the shots of the crew servicing the car and close ups of the parts.

Thanks everybody! I enjoyed taking the pictures and wandering around the pits to see all I got to see.

See you soon, David.

Mike, I hope you get to a divisional race soon - you really get close to the cars and teams and most are happy to welcome interested fans for a closer look. :cool:

Sorry, Tim. I had to work yesterday, so I didn't get to see any of Monday's action or winner's circle celebrating. :(

Joe, I got plenty of eye candy for the ladies. Gorgeous Camaros, cool Corvettes, nifty roadsters, that wicked paint job that completely changed colors with every different angle of the sun... :D What? You had something else in mind? :p

Thanks for the pics. Could have done without seeing the carnage on our body (Crazy Horse) in print.:( Thanks for your hard work.
We'll be back for the Gators.

Oops. Sorry... :( :eek: I'm just glad John was ok. It was such a shame to see that gorgeous car damaged like that. :( Was it the clutch that went & caused everything to go bad from there?

Glad you're going to make it back for the Gators - see you there.

The throw out bearing came off the shaft and slipped the clutch form the hit of the throttle all the way down the track. One of the floaters came apart and punched holes in the bell housing and clutch dust went everywhere. John got the chutes out but couldn't see where he was and scrubbed the wall. We have some work to do on the body and the saddles in the rear, and replace the bell housing then we will be ready.

The throw out bearing came off the shaft and slipped the clutch form the hit of the throttle all the way down the track. One of the floaters came apart and punched holes in the bell housing and clutch dust went everywhere. John got the chutes out but couldn't see where he was and scrubbed the wall. We have some work to do on the body and the saddles in the rear, and replace the bell housing then we will be ready.

Ouch! Thanks for the explanation. We'll have to come by in Gainesville and take pictures of the body restored to its former glory. :)

Ouch! Thanks for the explanation. We'll have to come by in Gainesville and take pictures of the body restored to its former glory. :)

I'll be the old, bald guy trailing Lisa in G'ville (probably in a wheelchair)!!! :D

Awesome pics as always and thanks for the extra Fletch pics!!!;)

Wayne :)

Joe, I got plenty of eye candy for the ladies. Gorgeous Camaros, cool Corvettes, nifty roadsters, that wicked paint job that completely changed colors with every different angle of the sun... :D What? You had something else in mind? :p

Just joking about all the Females who joke that I just put girlys on my album's. And that they wanted to see some Hunky Men!:eek:

Just joking about all the Females who joke that I just put girlys on my album's. And that they wanted to see some Hunky Men!:eek:

I know, I know... ;) Just kiddin with ya.

I wasn't looking for Hunky Men - just gorgeous cars. :) I've already got my man! He's the one in the post above yours, who for some reason thinks he's old. :rolleyes:

Congrats to Marty Nothstein on his 1st event victory in Alcohol Funny Car! How did he snag a Charger body? That's the first one I've seen on an Alcohol car.

Frank Parker (Nothstein's car owner) asked for the first one, and since he works with Mopar and Dodge Motorsports to develop and test their TAFC bodies, he got it.
He obtained the first Mopar designed TAFC Charger body from Roush Composites. They are in production and currently available to anyone with $8900. The body is manufactured from separate tooling (modified for Alcohol use) by a different manufacturer than the Fuel body.

Congrats to Frank, Dan, Marty, and the rest of the crew. Not bad for the first race of a completely new car (McKinney chassis) with zero test runs and one qualifying pass. :)

Terry

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back