Div 3 race ppd due to heat (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Saw on dragracecentral the points meet at St Louis has been moved to October due to the forecast of triple digits. It was actually postponed on Monday the 17th, 4 days before the race.

Has this ever been done before? I've seen races ppd if heavy rain is imminent, but never because it's hot, especially 4 days out.

maybe if air quality is so bad that supercharged engines pull all the oxygen out of it and all the spectators pass out like dominoes as the car goes down the track;)

We've cancelled races for heat before at Wild Horse Pass, in fact just a couple of weeks ago. We normally race at night during the summer; but, I think this was the weekend we had 110f+ and it was still flipping hot during the evening.

Right now at Gateway July 21, 2.25 pm Temp 101 heat index 109. and today is the cool day.

This is a two day event with really long days

tb

Same thank happen last month at Famoso Raceway with the ANRA event. Don't think anyone complained, but in fact many thanked the organization and the track for postponing. 12+ hours on the hot asphalt can be brutal for both racers and track personnel.

I heard from behind the scenes that the insurance underwriter is expressing their concerns and what potential liabilities that could come about.

[QUOTE="Gino Ofria, post: 367730, member: 5708"
I heard from behind the scenes that the insurance underwriter is expressing their concerns and what potential liabilities that could come about.[/QUOTE]

Expressing concerns that the event was cancelled, or that being in that heat for so long people would get sick and then the track would be responsible for medical care.

The First year Gateway was opened 3 people died from the heat at the Busch Seried race, a couple of hundred were treated for heat related ilness, including two friends of mine.

This was under a previous owner of the facility

Saturday update, 4: 20 pm temp 107, heat index 114. I say good call by Division 3 and Gateway

tb

Back in the 1990's we raced the Famoso WDRS event (points meet). It was 113 degrees. It was so hot we had a bucket of water to throw the tools in to cool them down. I remember losing to Rick Henkelman that weekend in TA/FC and thinking "Good."

Last edited:
For those who want to keep score at home:

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-18%20at%2010.19.35%20PM.png

Phoenix is miserable hot in the summer, "Dawg Days". I have seen as high as 122 and the record low was 96. The humidity is usually low (have seen 2-3%) but in "monsoon" season, it's 110 with 70% humidity, ain't no fun. Well, the "winter" makes up for it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back