Disappointing at Houston (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
It's a sad commentary on the state of the alcohol classes that an event in one of the largest metro areas in the U.S., in the second most populous state, cannot even get enough TAFC entries to fill half the field.

What, if anything, can be done to decrease costs and encourage participation in the class?

too many class choices to go fast; and some of those classes have really great money events with large fields and a high fun factor.
IMO more prize money and possibly go back to featuring alcohol cars at all the div. races is how nhra could attract better fields.

Some classes are simply weaker in different regions of the country. Looking at the Houston TAFC field in 1999, the total was 11. 12 in 2000. Only 11 again when they were last there in 2017. I didn't look through all the years, but the highest count I saw was 13. Seven cars is bad, but this is a race that has a history of being a poor draw for them for whatever reason.

And to add to the weak turnout... I think all but 1 of the cars that raced the 4-Wide Nationals will stay for the regional event in Vegas this weekend.

I think one cause is the cost of running an alky car. 10 years ago, you could have run a nitro car for the same cost.

cliff, you're probably rite on with that statement........i can remember nat. events from the 90's that were stacked with alcohol cars; the same race/s now struggle to attract 8.

In the 80s and 90s you could fill the field with just Texas TAFC cars. Wendt, Stidham, Phelps, Lewis, Simpson etc. Now there are very few from Texas.

I think promod has cut into funny car. More places to race and more championships to chase. East coast, northeast, midwest, Carolina series. Amd many choices on engine combos, mitrous, turbo, procharger . supercharger

Randy and others could chime in and be more accurate, but I believe a good budget to run what you need to chase an alky title is around $300K. Now that's AFTER you already own all the equipment. To build one, I'm sure that's a wide range of scenarios. A brand new car turnkey car has to be 150K, plus the rig, spares, etc. These are obviously some guidelines, there are many ways to run a program, in any class.

So, say $500,000 for the car, engines, tractor trailer, crew. Then another $500,000 if you are gonna tour the country, which includes OTR costs, lodging, food, & all that. I'm sure someone could do it cheaper but that is my guess. Am thinking of teams that run for the championship & go all over the country, both T/Ad and TA/FC.

I have found the longer you're involve in Drag Racing your cost will balance out. I never have asked Randy Meyer what he spends a year and never will. He has been in Drag Racing since 70s and has built himself up to where he is now. If you want too start and be at a top tier level your going spend and WAIST a lot of money. Just having the equipment is one thing, knowing how to win is another.

Looking at Friday's schedule for Houston they have Mountain Motor Pro Stock right after Pro Mod should be a great show

No, I'm not averaging the cost of a race weekend. I'm averaging the cost of parts vs the life expectancy of those parts like...rods, rod bearings, pistons, pins, buttons, rings, sleeves, crankshaft, main bearings, valves, valve springs, retainers, locks, lash caps, valve seats, valve guides, valve cover gaskets, rocker arm adjusters, oil pan gasket, spark plugs, mag cap, mag rotor, plug wires, coil, blower belt, blower rotor coating, burst panels, clutch discs, floaters, leavers and pins, input shaft, throw out bearing, flywheel/hat facings, trans clutch discs/floaters, trans oil, ring and pinion, tires, and I'm sure I left a few things out. Oh yeah.. oil and alcohol

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back