denver (1 Viewer)

mick

Nitro Member
can't remember if denver was live on FOX sunday afternoon?....was not in front of a tv.....was fortunate
to catch it late sunday nite on FS1 and stayed away from internet all day.
i thought the nhra tv crew did an excellent job; notably special interest stories pertaining to engines, the underground track cooling system, and especially the story on various vendors and interactive displays available in the pits for the fans.
IMO why not get the fans up and moving between rounds? the nhra pit experience has always been
sold hard by the nhra. keep on reminding and showing your tv audience that a day at the races is
not just a hard bleacher seat under a hot sun.

I don't think there's an issue with getting fans moving between rounds. In fact, part of the problem is that they start moving right after the last pair of fuel cars, and don't really watch much else. Now obviously I don't mean every fan, but you guys know what I mean.

Speaking of Denver, there will be a vote coming up to allow for a new racetrack to be built in Aurora. This time the vote will be fair and should go through without any shenanigans.

Speaking of Denver, there will be a vote coming up to allow for a new racetrack to be built in Aurora. This time the vote will be fair and should go through without any shenanigans.

Can the Denver area support two racetracks at the same time? They'd be 25 to 30 miles apart.

Can the Denver area support two racetracks at the same time? They'd be 25 to 30 miles apart.

It would be a multi purpose facility with the hope of attracting NASCAR and other racing organizations. Last time it went to a vote Bandimere was going to be part of the new track in eastern part of Aurora. That was several years ago though not sure if they would still consider moving now.
And no I doubt Denver could support two drag strips.

I don't think there's an issue with getting fans moving between rounds. In fact, part of the problem is that they start moving right after the last pair of fuel cars, and don't really watch much else. Now obviously I don't mean every fan, but you guys know what I mean.

you are rite, they are moving already. i just think it's a good idea for the tv show to reinforce what a fan's options are at
a race....maybe those stories get a few newbies out to the track?.......the fans move rite after nitro cuz PS and PSB are
excruciatingly boring, and that is not a problem, it's just a fact. the two nitro classes are nhra's 'extreme sport'.
it is what nhra nat. events are for, it is what nhra sells, it is what the fans like.....it's been that way for years.

if i come to watch nitro, and their turnaround time is only an hour; why in the world would i sit thru 30-60 minutes of PS and PSB?
this seems so obvious to me; why in the world does nhra believe PS will or can magically be rejuvenated?......nhra advertises nitro, 330mph, ground shakes, explosions, every ticket is a pit pass, etc......and the fans oblige by heading out of stands on cue.

What gets me is NHRA is totally against explosions and oil downs but that's basically what they show on their t.v. promos.

New national event format. Top Fuel, F/C, AA/FA, Nostalgia AA/FD & AA/FC, blown nitro motorcycles, lessee what else.... blown nitro Studebaker. By the way, does anyone remember, waaay back when, that NHRA ran a Supernationals at Ontario, had all Pro classes & Pro Comp only, no sportsmen. They only did it once but it was an interesting race. The "filler" were some wheelstanders and assorted what have you.

By the way, does anyone remember, waaay back when, that NHRA ran a Supernationals at Ontario

I remember OMS. I was with Infield fire & rescue assisting the Safety Safari then in 1975. That's when Don Garlits broke the 250 mph zone. Not only that, he passed Gary Beck for the championship by winning the event and setting new E.T. & top speed records. I took an 8x10 photo of him on the Friday before, and had him autograph it on Sunday. He looked at me and said "how did you get a picture of me with my hands so clean". The good ole days!

It would be a multi purpose facility with the hope of attracting NASCAR and other racing organizations. Last time it went to a vote Bandimere was going to be part of the new track in eastern part of Aurora. That was several years ago though not sure if they would still consider moving now.

Your comment was the following, It would be a multi purpose facility with the hope of attracting NASCAR

Better consider what happened to Kentucky Speedway after they spend about 150 million dollars with the thoughts of also attracting NASCAR.

When they never received a race from NASCAR and had to file for bankruptcy and then to watch NASCAR step in and buy the track for around 50 millions dollars and start running races there why would anyone want to even try that move again!

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

This sounds like the Penske proposal, round 2. That was about 15 years ago on property close to DIA in Adams County. If this is approved, I would not be surprised to see Bandimere being a part of it. Their current track sits on some pretty valuable land...

What gets me is NHRA is totally against explosions and oil downs but that's basically what they show on their t.v. promos.

Wally Parks was totally against using crash and burn footage to promote the sport because he was concerned about how the sport was portrayed to the public. He felt promoting the safety aspect might draw more into the sport, or at least improve (often negative) public opinion of it. It does seem that the explosions and crashes are what NHRA is promoting now, but that's probably the product of competing with reality TV and Xtreme sports, and appealing to a broader audience including the NASCAR viewers who only watch for the crashes. I just have to remember that drag racing as presented on TV is not really intended for people like me who actually race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back