Dale E Jr. to build track in Alabama (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
From Nascar.com

Along with a 7/10 mile, 75k seat speedway, Jr. there will be a 1/4-mile drag strip and 3/8-mile dirt track (that) will be designed to attract national events.

Who said NASCAR drivers are dumb?
Jr. knows how important a drag strip is to a motorsports facility!
I wish him the best of luck!

Who said NASCAR drivers are dumb?
Jr. knows how important a drag strip is to a motorsports facility!
I wish him the best of luck!

I suspect drag strips are a nice cash cow for NASCAR tracks-what would be empty parking lots for most of the year can be turned into pit space for weekly bracket racers and perhaps a national or divisional event.

Several Circletrack racers have roots in Drag racing! Dave Green, Elliot Sadler, Jack Roush, I'm sure there are plenty more!

Several Circletrack racers have roots in Drag racing! Dave Green, Elliot Sadler, Jack Roush, I'm sure there are plenty more!

What current or former crew chief for the 29 car owns a part in a pro-stock
team? And what team ? This isn't trivia.....I forgot

I thought Kevin Hamlin was thinking of Investing in a PS team with Mark Whisenant. But the deal went sour. This was like 3-4 years ago.

This part of the press release caught my attention:

"Out-of-state investors include members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the College Football Hall of Fame, team owners in two national motorsports series, and a sports and entertainment marketing firm."

Wonder if one of those team owners is a drag racer. KB is a consummate businessman and with his ties to A-B and therefore Jr, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was in on the deal.

Of course, there's a bunch of national motorsports series including Champ. SCCA, American LeMans, etc.

Man, it is about time. The drag strips in AL are old and crumbling.

There had been a local rumor that Talladega would add a 1/4 mile strip.

I hope this is a "real deal"....

it looks like it has the potential to be a really nice and fan friendly facility. Properly managed, it looks like it could be used enough to actually make a profit. Press release indicates a broad spectrum of investors. I hope that means that they are adequately financed without the typical "sports stadium scam" requiring tax payers to pay the $$s for it. While I note they've enlisted some politically connected folks, I'm encouraged that they intend this to be an active multi-use facility.

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm generally skeptical of these kinds of announcements. Just so often my hopes are dashed. I hope "Little E" and his partners can get 'er done!)

And yes, that's a great area!

Cool - a drag strip close to Gulf Shores. I could plan a vacation around that. I am sure my wife would be thrilled. :p

Did anyone notice that on the Site Plans page they used a picture of IHRA Top Fuel Funny Car racer Jack Wyatt's Fuel Flopper doing a burnout. This could be very good for the sport of drag racing.

Interesting thread. Kind of related to this, Bruton Smith's company is aggressivley going after land in Denver to build a NASCAR venue by the airport. John Bandimere is also in talks with them as well. Wether Bandimere is looking to diversify as an investor - or perhaps move the drag strip off the mountainside is unclear.

John Bandimere has been looking to move for some time. Lack of Parking/Pit space has been a problem for some time up there. They tried like other cities to build a Multi-purpose racing facilty around the Denver Airport about 5-6 years ago, but the voters shot it down.

Yeah Joe, you're right. I expect Bruton can get it done this time though. With Pikes Peak International Raceway closed, all they need is the votes. And I think he'll use Fort Worth as the model to show the benefits to the community. From a sentimental point Bandimere just wouldn't be the same on flat ground. But it's a wonderful location they're considering. So close to the airport and away from city traffic. But JB certainly knows this area, so in some respects he may sway the vote for Bruton. Will be interesting.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back