Dale Creasy Update (1 Viewer)

Ok I cut and I am pasting this for those who can't link up.

IHRA's Dale Creasy recovering from surgery on legs

By Susan Wade

Dale Creasy Jr., the reigning IHRA Funny Car champion and current points leader, underwent five hours of surgery Monday at Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta, for damage to his legs from an accident Sunday night at the Rocky Mountain Nationals at Castrol Raceway.

Capital Health Public Affairs spokeswoman Wanda Nistor said Monday evening that Creasy still was listed in stable condition. "That means he's doing well, if he's in stable condition," she said, adding that company policy forbids her to disclose any further information about a patient's condition.

Publicist Jim Walczak said that "according to a nurse, it [the surgery] went well. We are all waiting to hear from the doctor, as [Creasy's] left leg needed a lot of work."

The accident occurred at the end of Creasy's semifinal-round loss to Grant Downing. Walczak said the Torco Chevy Impala experienced "a catastrophic parts failure in the driveline [and] his legs became entangled in the wreckage."

According to Walczak, the initial word at the accident scene was that the reverser cable broke, but he said that perhaps the problem might have stemmed from the coupler on the transmission.

Creasy was transported to the hospital by helicopter around 8:30 Sunday night.

Walczak said early Monday that Creasy "suffered broken bones in his right foot that will require a cast. His left leg suffered a crushed shin and a compound fracture."

Creasy suffered several fractures of small bones above the small toe on his right foot. The right leg below the knee also suffered extensive bruising. The left leg was more severely damaged. Doctors had to rebuild the shinbone and insert pins in the leg. The compound fracture occurred just above the ankle.

Walczak estimated Creasy's rehabilitation "to be months."

Local sponsor Jet Label & Tape had Creasy's wife, Laurie, flown to Montana, where they met her and planned to drive to Edmonton. She was expected to join her husband by Tuesday.

Top Fuel and Funny Car driver Terry McMillen visited Creasy at the hospital Sunday night. He said, and Skooter Peaco, IHRA's vice-president of racing operations, confirmed that a transmission failure -- the reverser in particular -- caused serious damage to Creasy's legs.

Creasy, of Beecher, Illinois, is a popular driver and two-time champion nicknamed "Peanut" who is known for helping fellow racers -- even direct competitors -- and giving back to the community.

According to Walczak, the outpouring of get-well wishes for Creasy "has been overwhelming." He said, "The Creasy family asks that cards and well wishes be held until Dale returns home" but said that within 24 hours, he will have a special e-mail address et up where friends and fans may send their messages of encouragement.

Some fans already have sent messages to Creasy at his own Website and that those messages will be printed and delivered to Creasy when he is able to read them.

Fellow racers, including Doug Foley, who was injured in an IHRA racing crash at Toronto in 2006, have called to check on Creasy and his condition. A representative of John Force Racing (Walczak wasn't sure who) also contacted the team and volunteered to help in any way, whether it was on a personal level or a matter of safety/technology. NHRA team owner Don Schumacher phoned the team Monday, as well.

"A lot of people and fans may only know him as the smiling, gregarious, hard-nosed competitor they see at the racetrack, but whenever we've needed drivers for one of our children's hospital visits, Dale's stepped up several times and helped us out," said Jeff Romack, of Pontiac/Chevy Trackside Communications for Drag Racing. "And as you can imagine, he's always been great with the kids. Dale's a wonderful guy and a terrific racer, and we're hoping he's back out here again soon."

Said Walczak, "The team also wants to thank Jet Label & Tape for the support they are providing to the family during this time. They're really good people. They jumped in and became part of the family. They went above and beyond the call of duty."

On a lighter note, Walczak said Monday night that after Creasy awoke from surgery, he was "a bit loopy" but spoke with team transporter driver Doug, who told him, "Dale, if you didn't want to ride back with me, I could've bought you an airplane ticket. You didn't have to do something crazy to get out of riding home with me." He said Creasy was laughing at the exchange.

Here's the link to Scoop's article with an address to send cards.

Creasy Jr. recovering from lengthy surgery

Creasy Jr. recovering from lengthy surgery
Mike Perry, IHRA Communications
Tuesday, 08 July 2008

After five hours of successful surgery to repair the severe leg injury suffered Sunday at the Rocky Mountain IHRA Nationals in Edmonton, Canada, two-time defending Funny Car champion Dale Creasy Jr. is recovering at Royal Alexandra Hospital in downtown Edmonton.

Creasy’s lower left leg was severely injured during his semifinal match-up when his transmission failed.

"The transmission was spinning," Creasy said. "Something broke and it locked up. There was nothing I could do."

The doctors at Royal Alexandra spent five hours piecing Creasy’s lower left leg back together. The surgery was successful but Creasy will face a lengthy rehabilitation in the coming months. Immediately after the surgery Creasy was able to move all his toes, which doctors considered an encouraging sign.

"It was a five-hour surgery and now they’re waiting for the swelling to go down," he said. "They said it would be six months before I am able to walk again. I’m going to be here for another week to 10 days because they put a lot of pins and rods in and they want to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get infected."

Cards can be sent to Creasy at this address:
Dale Creasy Jr.
1550 Mallard’s Cove
Beecher, IL 60401

Get well soon Dale!!!

Wayne

Some people will do anything to get out of riding in the truck back from the end of the world....LOL

Get well soon Peanut.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back