Crash in Comp? (1 Viewer)

I was listening to the broadcast when it happened. Sounds like both cars were upside down, so it's doubtful he'll make it back. Both were said to be OK thankfully. I think they made the right choice to finish in the morning. The grove can be fast, but when the sun sets, the dew comes in REAL quick this time of year.

Thank you, that's a real shame. I had fallen asleep during the broadcast and wanted to check to see how Professor Dave's car was running.

I was listening to the broadcast when it happened. Sounds like both cars were upside down, so it's doubtful he'll make it back. Both were said to be OK thankfully. I think they made the right choice to finish in the morning. The grove can be fast, but when the sun sets, the dew comes in REAL quick this time of year.

I was in the top end bleachers. Ciccarone was ahead and on the brakes. Affronti came through and crossed the centerline right after the finish line and hit Tombo in his left rear quarter panel, picked his car up and flipped him over. That was the best I could see since as you know the motorhomes are parked close to the track there so you can't see much past the finish line. Affronti's car somehow ended up all the way down, next to the sand trap (a bit out on the road even). I couldn't really figure that one out.....

Frank must have been out of shape early (I was watching Tombo's car) since he only went 156. I think that's what kept this from being worse then it was, the speed difference only being 11 mph instead of a lot more if Frank went his normal mph.

Most importantly, both drivers were ok, saw them heading back to the pits on their golf carts when I was leaving out the back gate. It was scary for a bit, the announcers were saying "no report on Ciccarone's condition" and I heard a helicopter in the distance....

Here are a couple pictures of the aftermath from this crash. Glad that Tommy and Frank are OK. It looked pretty nasty from the starting line. The 1st 3 shots are of Ciccarone's Cavalier and the last shot is the front end of Affronti's Colbalt.

100_1211A.jpg

100_1212A.jpg

100_1213A.jpg

100_1209A.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to Tommie Sr. yesterday-he said Tombo (that's Jr) got on the radio as soon as he could to let his Dad know he was ok. That's a good sign not only that he was ok physically and mentally but that he had enough of his wits about him to think about other people as well. The Ciccarone's are nice folks and I'm gald they are ok. That Frankie Affronti is a tough guy too (he's from upstate NY), so I'm sure he'll be fine-he passed me heading back upstate as I was heading to Reading yesterday.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back