Cox Funny Cars (1 Viewer)

I got one for Christmas 72. About 4 or 5 friends also had one. Everyone repainted the Pinto body to their own preference. You could hop up the .049 a little. Always wanted to put a bigger engine in one but never did.

Never had any of the racecars, but I had the Bob Hoover Rockwell International P-51 Mustang. I believe it contacted pavement more than a few times.

I had quite a few .049 powered vehicles as a kid and one of the only survivors was the red Stinger. It was in such intact shape I put it on evilbay about 5 or 10 years ago and was really surprised what it brought. A lot more than it cost new I'm sure. I think the fastest Cox car I had was a white plastic road racer, I am thinking a 66 Chapparall? That thing was stupid fast and when it left the string the last time and went head on into a curb it was over.:(

Was I the only one that poured some bleach on the ground to do a burnout on ? Back then they were still using it at the track. When the Cox car spun and kicked up the stuff, it would get all over me, and my clothes, leaving clothes with bleach burns. Not real smart.

Was I the only one that poured some bleach on the ground to do a burnout on ? Back then they were still using it at the track. When the Cox car spun and kicked up the stuff, it would get all over me, and my clothes, leaving clothes with bleach burns. Not real smart.

Ah, Dennis...

They had them at the exchange when I was in the PI in the mid 70's... We melted one to the ground trying to do a Fire Burnout... opps....
Lighter fluid, a Zippo, Lot's of black smoke from burning plastic....

d'kid
Pyros 'r' Us

I remember Cox made a .15 motor about twice the size of the .049. That would be fun to see what a Bigger Motor would do in one of those Dragcars?

I remember Cox made a .15 motor about twice the size of the .049. That would be fun to see what a Bigger Motor would do in one of those Dragcars?

Picturing a cross bolted KB, TFX, or BAE billet block, billet head, setback blower, one amp mags, etc, etc, etc. Then come the big "multi-hundred dollar" sponsor deals and running them hard enough to start tearing them down each run, requiring an extra crewmember. Then the batmobiles. Then the tire issues. Then the Countdown...... :D :D :D

Meanwhile, the pro stock Cox class goes through the controversial "too big for gas" hood scoop explosion followed by a shop break in to "nail hammer" engine blocks! Bob's kids admit to running nitrous up through a rifle drilled motor plate. NHRA denies it.

Last edited:
Had A red dragster and a white pinto,used to fire 'em up in the basement,the sound and nitro fumes were awesome! Used to drive my Mom and Dad nuts. They'd come down the basement and it would be filled with smoke and trust me that stuff watered the eyes just like standing next to a warmup in the pits. First time I ran the pinto In all my 14 yr. old wisdom used a big spike to anchor the line on the top end,didn't know you were supposed to tie a knot to shut it off and it ran full speed into the nail and took a big chunk out of the body,was I ever bummed! Don't remember what I ever did with them but they were probably the coolest thing I ever had when I was a kid. I see them occasionally on ebay,I entertained the thought of picking one up to share with my son,he's the same age I was when I had them but he doesn't have the drag racing bug that I had back then. Reading everyones posts about these cars has brought back some very fond memories of an ill spent childhood :)

No, but I used to dump some of the fuel down. I punctured a hole in each of the slicks on the dragster to soften them, little did I know that then they would grab too much and the motor would bog.The nitro would let em slip a little bit,no clutch timers back then!

You did have to tune them , adjust the mixture. The throttle was just a rotating sleeve on the exhust. No real carb. To start them you fueled them up, hooked up a battery to the glow plug, and spun the rear tire by hand.
If you had a very long real flat place to run it, and a very long bit of fishing line it would go like hell. Not sure of the scale speed, but prob. almost as fast as real Dragsters of the time. Tires never stopped spinning. Perhaps a large rear wing would have helped. But is was a front engine type, they should have had a Garlits model. Much safer for driver.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back