Cox Funny Cars (1 Viewer)

Shazam

Nitro Member
Did anybody have the little Cox funny cars with the .049 engines when they were popular in the 70's?

I used to have both the White one and the Yellow one.

Raced them at the local strip. They would run a whole eighth mile before they ran out of fuel......but usually crashed on the run.....especially if the string wasn't really tight.

Last edited:
Chuck Schifsky's dad Bill drove the real car (Chuck is PR Manager for Honda in Detroit) and Chuck told me that the corporate colors were white with the blue and red (patriotic) so Bill takes the car to some guy on Woodward to repaint for the new season-Came back a few days later and the guy said he didn't like white so he painted it yellow instead. I guess it was easier for Cox to make yellow ones than to trust the guy to repaint again.

Dave

Did anybody have the little Cox funny cars with the .049 engines when they were popular in the 70's?

I used to have both the White one and the Yellow one.

Raced them at the local strip. They would run a whole eighth mile before they ran out of fuel......but usually crashed on the run.....especially if the string wasn't really tight.

I had 2 Pintos & a Vega. I nerer did race them,

My brother, Randy Parker, and I had a pair of them. Those things were cool. Remember tying in the bead that would release the chute and shut them off? Sometimes we ran them in the parking lot of our dad's auto repair shop without the guide line. I think I had the Vega, still remember sending it across the lot to each other (tried to catch them before they crashed into something). One time it hit a tire on our truck and broke the body. Should have been an early lesson to me that funny cars break when you run them!

This guy's dad did the hand lettering and painting (not the base color) on Bill's cars. Bill gave his dad 2 of those 049 toy cars after he lettered the car. They kept one car in the box and Chris and his brother played with the other one. They still have both cars today. And if you watch closely, at about the one hour mark you'll see the white COX car staging against Jim Dunn in Funny Car Summer. (I just noticed this when I watched FCS last week)

To this day Chris still talks about sitting in that car (the white one) while his dad lettered it in their driveway.

I'm sure once Chris sees this thread he'll post something.

I have the black "WIDOWMAKER" 73 ish Dodge Challenger that my 7 year old son drools over whenever he stops by my business office.

Its the only toy I have from my childhood :(

I had the dragster, liked the nitro smell, only made single runs, so it never lost a race.

I had the Pinto F/C in the red, white and blue along with the matching dragster. Wish I still had them!

From Ron's link it looks like they are going to make some new ones.

The only problem we will have now is finding a suitable transporter, hospitality trailer, and paying a crew chief millions to keep them running.

I never had the cars but I did the see the real one race at Minnesota Dragways when I was about 8 years old in 1972.

My Dad bought me the red dragster for my 9th Christmas. I don't recall how many runs we made but I do remember it was a ***** to get started. The string was kind of a pain to erect in an empty parking lot or city street.

It was the beginning of my drag racing obsession. Unfortunately that is where the technical side of my obsession ceased. Hind sight is 20-20 as they say.

I would give you know what to have that car back. :)

I bought my son the Pinto. It was a pain to run it on that string, so we would just fire it up and let it go down our street. It rould eventually hit the curb and the body would come off. Put it back on and make another pass,

He still has it.

Jay

Whoooa, you're really making me feel old now!
The real race car, Cox Toy 1971 Pinto for Bill Shifsky was one of the last cars I built in St. Paul before my San Diego escape in early 1972.
Good story was I had extra time to finish the chassis while the body was getting some serious repair. Bill and Doc Halliday went to Cal to pick up the body with a very lightweight take-apart trailer. On the way home, in the famous Wyoming winter winds, the body and trailer were blown off the back of Doc's Caddy, and the body was cracked like an eggshell!

Here's a picture of the real car.
billschifsky.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back