Countdown doing its job? (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

I think Jon has it exactly right as to intent. Changing the format is probably better than scrapping the countdown. Personally, I think the countdown is too long and should be maybe four races. If you don’t like the idea of only the top 8 eligible for the championship, how about this:
For the final four (countdown) events, run pairings are determined by current points vs qualifying time. So #1 in points runs #2 first round, 3 v 4 etc. Then each round the pairings are again highest points vs second highest etc. This would help create a different mix/excitement at end of season and those on the bottom of the points run each other so they can win some rounds. Also prevents positioning in qualifying to knock out the top car.

OK, too much wine last night but since we’re in ‘hate the countdown’ season, maybe generate some ideas while bored before this huge weekend. Sorry to see the season go.
Unless I'm completely missing the point,wouldn't this render the qualifying hits which put fans in the stands on Friday and Saturday totally irrelevant?

I never cared for the countdown either. At this point it’s all about enjoying individual runs and being happy when the good guys (and gals) win a race on hard work and not team manipulation. Season championships don’t mean much to me anymore. Off subject, but I’m also not very impressed when they brag about a driver passing Glidden, Snake or other legends on the all time win list when they attend double the races a season. If there were 24 races back then, could you imagine how many more Glidden would have. Still an accomplishment, but apples to oranges.

Last edited:
O
Unless I'm completely missing the point,wouldn't this render the qualifying hits which put fans in the stands on Friday and Saturday totally irrelevant?
I get that. But you still get to see all the cars on Fri/Sat so it’s a show. Call it practice if you like but use the times to see which teams get to run Sunday. Thus, they are ‘qualified’. And it would only be for 4 races. My thought was that instead of resetting the points so drastically, the drama would be created by having the top cars race each other early which accomplishes something similar.
After tonight’s coctails, maybe a different idea. ;)

I believe the intention of the Countdown was to prevent a team from wrapping up the Championship by September
Valid point. I went to Vegas for the race and turned it into a vacation, stayed on the strip etc. Got an offer for the F1 race from Bellagio for $12000 for tix and room. No thanks. First, not into F1, just drags. Second, 12 grand! But here’s todays news on F1 in Vegas as it’s possibly relevant to this discussion:

New YorkCNN —
Ticket and hotel room prices are falling sharply in Las Vegas as the gambling mecca preps to host its first Formula 1 Grand Prix race in four decades next week.

Excitement has “started to fizzle” in recent weeks with a “big factor” being that driver Max Verstappen already won this year’s championship title in Qatar on October 7, thus dampening enthusiasm among the sport’s fans as it nears the end of the season.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone still keep track of season long champ vs countdown champ? If I remember correctly, at first it wasn't that different. Wonder if that has changed.

they could always go back to the old way of years ago. Whoever won the World Finals was the national champ.

everyone is using the countdown as a continuous test session for bradenton

Attachments

• Show-Me-the-Money.gif
    Show-Me-the-Money.gif
    1 MB · Views: 17
In principle the countdown is terrible, in practice it is fantastic.

The Problem with the count down for most of us is the unfair way the points leader gets ''demoted'' when the countdown begins. So, maybe use the ''little points'' as a way to reward the teams. Set a little points grid where the points leader gets more little points and decrease the points as you go down to tenth in place. So, lets say Jusin Ashley is leading the points going into the countdown. If he runs best et in qualifying, give him 5 points. If Doug K is second in. points and runs best et in qualifying give him 4 points. And so on down the line. That would give the teams incentive to do well in the points before the countdown.

I never cared for the countdown either. At this point it’s all about enjoying individual runs and being happy when the good guys (and gals) win a race on hard work and not team manipulation. Season championships don’t mean much to me anymore. Off subject, but I’m also not very impressed when they brag about a driver passing Glidden, Snake or other legends on the all time win list when they attend double the races a season. If there were 24 races back then, could you imagine how many more Gidden would have. Still an accomplishment, but apples to oranges.
That could be easily resolved by saying the percentage of races won by each instead of number of races won. What makes a lot of this skewed is Individuals versus corporate teams.

Valid point. I went to Vegas for the race and turned it into a vacation, stayed on the strip etc. Got an offer for the F1 race from Bellagio for $12000 for tix and room. No thanks. First, not into F1, just drags. Second, 12 grand! But here’s todays news on F1 in Vegas as it’s possibly relevant to this discussion:

New YorkCNN —
Ticket and hotel room prices are falling sharply in Las Vegas as the gambling mecca preps to host its first Formula 1 Grand Prix race in four decades next week.

Excitement has “started to fizzle” in recent weeks with a “big factor” being that driver Max Verstappen already won this year’s championship title in Qatar on October 7, thus dampening enthusiasm among the sport’s fans as it nears the end of the season.
Yep, prices are dropping for the Vegas race. NHRA prices still looks pretty good compared to F-1 though. :D

It was odd seeing grandstands everywhere around the strip. There is a massive grandstand on the corner of Harmon and Koval just east of the strip.

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpeg
    IMG_5414.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
I agree. I like the countdown and the reset and the extra pressure to perform. It elevates those who are doing well. That’s what we all want to focus on anyway. The racers not in the top 10 are certainly NOT in favor of it, however.

New YorkCNN —

You can ride with Larry Dixon in Top Fuel car doe 11000$. Worth more than F1.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone still keep track of season long champ vs countdown champ? If I remember correctly, at first it wasn't that different. Wonder if that has changed.

Good question. I'd like to see a side-by side comparison, would be interesting to see.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back