COMPULINK WILL NOT HAVE SUPPORT STAFF AT NHRA FALL NATIONALS (1 Viewer)

I think that the real reason is that NHRA brings in their own computer with all of their drivers pre-loaded on it and they want to just hook up to the tracks existing wiring. If something doesn't work it could screw the pooch but from what I've seen on the interweb their Tuesday night event went okay.

Wires are wires. If they aren't damaged and their spec's are within the needs of a different timing system, they will work just as well as they would with Compulink's computer and sensors.
Coke or Pepsi? Dr. Pepper or a scotch and water works too.
Wires are not wires. For the past several years, Compulink has been working to change tracks over to fiber-optic. Different systems use different sensors, different wiring configurations, and different computer equipment. Do we know that the wiring in place at the track is fiber-optic and that it meets Compulink's specs? Do we know that it has been installed correctly and configured the way Compulink installs it?

I worked with Compulink, Portatree, Accutime, and one other system I do not remember the name for. They all worked fine on their own but they are not plug-and-play interchangeable.

I am sure Bob would like to have every track in the country use Compulink but that is not what his position on this is about. Rather, he is saying that he and Compulink will not be responsible for problems with the system if he cannot control every part of the system. If you are going to use the Coke or Pepsi analogy, keep in mind that Coke is very strict about restaurants not being allowed to serve Pepsi if their signs or menus say Coke.

You wouldn't put a Chevy engine in a Mustang and expect Ford to take responsibility for it if the engine does not work, would you?

Jim, you seem to know a lot about the Compulink system, is it still based on a DOS operating system?

Jim Samuel wrote:
I am sure Bob would like to have every track in the country use Compulink but that is not what his position on this is about. Rather, he is saying that he and Compulink will not be responsible for problems with the system if he cannot control every part of the system. If you are going to use the Coke or Pepsi analogy, keep in mind that Coke is very strict about restaurants not being allowed to serve Pepsi if their signs or menus say Coke.

You wouldn't put a Chevy engine in a Mustang and expect Ford to take responsibility for it if the engine does not work, would you?

I think that's exactly what Bob Brockmeyer is saying. Compulink is the "Coke" and he doesn't want anyone to assume his product is being used at the track should their be a problem of any kind with the timing system.

In the same light, Accutime and Portatree sure wouldn't want anyone to blame them for the last couple of races where the wrong win light came on. As you know, many different timing systems can do the job. Sounds like he's questioning if they can make the changes fast enough and solid enough to get the job done in time.

Mr.Brockmeyer is wise to make sure it's understood Compulink isn't being used this weekend and he's not responsible for repairs or other issues. He's just wisely protecting his business.

Over the years there have been many different companies making and selling timing equipment that worked well. Compulink probably isn't used at 50% of the active drag strips in this country today.
Do all the racers who have won money at a non-Compulink timed race need to give it back?
Comp+ quote: "It was certainly their option to freely choose whatever system they want," said Bob Brockmeyer, founder of Compulink Timing Systems.
Apparently Brockmeyer is trying to push NHRA into only using Compulink at all their races like NHRA did in the early days with Chrondek. Even way back then, others like Larry Applegate's Newtronics worked just fine.
Wires are wires. If they aren't damaged and their spec's are within the needs of a different timing system, they will work just as well as they would with Compulink's computer and sensors.
Coke or Pepsi? Dr. Pepper or a scotch and water works too.
He did get us talking about timing systems though...
Maybe NHRA is thinking about having their own timing equipment and crews to maintain it. If this be the case, phase it in on local NHRA tracks. Doing something like this for a national event and the countdown series, is bad timing (pun intended).
In my years of computer networking, the one thing you don't do is flip a switch until you're positively sure the new network works. Even then I would leave the old system in place for a while as a backup.
Still, I wish them luck this weekend and all goes well.

I work for the largest commercial security integrator in the world and when we’re come in to takeover or upgrade a customers system, we don’t just rip and replace hardware…everything is redesigned, rewired and installed our way. It’s always best to not simply take over an existing system due to liability.

umm, yeah my light bulb only works with my lamp. If you use a different lamp then I'm not going to be there to make sure my light bulb lights up. Good grief.

The timing slip for a run is most likely only the tip of the Iceberg. Not sure how these runs are saved into a master database but if the data is in a different format it seems to me that there would be a lot of extra work for someone. Also someone who knows could explain how DOS is still viable for the amount of data there is stored over the years can be accessed by those who need access to it in a timely way. Another thing is that since almost everyone has something like a Smartphone, records - qualifying - ladders - driver & car information etc. could be instantaneous with an app at a race as long as the information was stored and programmed correctly.

Guess there timing system isn't matching up with there online results. What a mess to try and figure stuff out. :mad:

Is Compulink not at Bristol? Right lane giving erroneous times during nitro Q1. I didn't notice any issues with 1,320 track configuration today.

Sitting here at bristol waiting on them to figure out timing system. 2 fc and 1 tf so far had sub one second times.

Not a good look for nhra with the short fields too.

Cruz just ran a 0.356 ET on FS1.
Then, Brian Lohnes said NHRA tested the timing system and found no flaws.
Then Matt Hagan ran a 0.618.
Cameron Ferre ran a 0.157.
Cruise also had the same issue with the clocks and he ran 858 mph in the eighth, which is the fastest time ever in the world. Now they have admitted that there is a problem with the timing computer.
The sad thing is none of these cars that did not get a time due to the timing system fault do not get to make up the run and it cost them a whole lot of money to run and not get a time or credit for the run. If it rains tomorrow and no qualifying what then for those guys......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back